Re: Reading the properties dialog of a drive

Marie

No, it means that he was first using the PC cursor but needed to change to the Jaws cursor and wanted to put it at the location of the PC cursor. Therefore, you route the Jaws cursor to where the PC cursor is currently located.

Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:33 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Reading the properties dialog of a drive

thanks to all you folks for the replys, but I must be the only person on this jaws list that heard that mike routed the jaws cursor to the pc cursor in a much earlier reply, and if that statement is true, that means to me that he was in the jaws cursor first, and then went to the pc cursor, right. that’s how I took what he said

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 7:40 PM

That’s what I’m talking about – quite a lot of places the PC cursor won’t go, and with good reason. But it depends on what programmes you tend to use, I suppose.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 7, 2019 8:36 PM

I never use it unless I think my PC cursor is not giving me the information I should be able to access.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 7:32 PM

I know we’re trying not to overcomplicate things, but I use it a lot more than that, so I don’t consider it an emergency cursor, just the cursor that can go where the mouse can go, and easily reads output that’s not automatically spoken by JAWS in certain programmes (command line, IRC, etc).

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 7, 2019 8:01 PM

Hi Sandy,

As a rule, we never use the Jaws cursor.

The PC cursor is active wherever your keyboard is working at the time.

Think of the Jaws cursor as an emergency cursor, to reach information that the PC cursor isn't reaching.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:14 PM

so, you’re telling me that you primarily use the jaws cursor, not the pc cursor?

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 6:05 PM

Hi Sandy,

It's most definitely a learning curve to know when to use the Jaws cursor verses the PC cursor.  What would make it easier is by physically showing you an example.  Personally I route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor much more often than using just the Jaws cursor by itself.  Most importantly is to be in a window that you can arrow around in to see what Jaws reads to you using just the PC cursor, then routing the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor and arrowing around to compare how much more is read to you with the Jaws to PC cursor function employed.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 3:19 PM

I must not be using the jaws screen reader correctly then. I thought the pc cursor was used for every day use, and the jaws cursor was what we used to expand the page. I’m so confused

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 4:48 PM

Hi Sandy,

No, step 1 is correct.  Using your suggestion won't read the properties.  You route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor to expand the page and to get to the text that the PC cursor won't get to on its own or get to by routing the PC cursor to the Jaws cursor.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 12:55 PM

your 1st step is confusing. shouldn’t it be to route the pc cursor to the jaws cursor?

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 10:17 PM

Hi Loy,

After highlighting / selecting the drive and pressing, Alt + Enter, to bring up the properties.

1. Route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor with the keystroke, Insert + Jaws cursor key / Numpad minus.

2. Press the, Pageup key / Numpad 9.

3. Now arrow down 1 line at a time to find your used and free space plus more.

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 8:02 PM

This brings up the properties dialog but I can only read the tabs and not the information in the dialog, what am I missing? new to JAWS and I am sure there is a way to do this. Long time Window Eyes user.

Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 10:46 PM

Hi Loy,

The way you read the properties of anything on your computer is to press alt + enter.

This includes icons, folders, files, and drives in this PC.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 9:39 PM

Subject: [jaws-users] Reading the properties dialog of a drive

How can I read the properties dialog of a drive on my computer? I need to know the amount of free space on the drive.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.