Topics

IC RS3 info ... question #1515-1523

lannybev

Hello again,

I just read Loren's note and went to an IC roster that is posted on the web.
It shows a series of IC RS3's numbered from 1515-1523. Were these GM&Os ... it
appears that 1 or 2 of them were ICG.

Sure would appreciate help and clarification on this. So far what I've read
on the forum is that IC didn't own any RS3 locos. So I don't understand why
those RS3 numbers are listed on the IC roster.

Thanks for any further help.

Lanny Nicolet

lannybev

Joe and all,

Thanks for the answer regarding the RS-3! Now I completely understand. I plan
to stay with the 'prototype' black green diamond variety, so won't accquire
the RS 3. (I bet your GP-35 is neat looking, anyway!)

Also, another 'for what its worth' ... this morning after my bike ride, I saw
on the Minneapolis to Des Moines to 'points south' former "Rock Island", then
"CNW" route, which is now all UP (well maintained main line) ... a black and
red "CN" diesel doubleheading with a UP ... am not up on the modern units
enough to know 'what' loco I saw, but the road number, if I remember correctly was
"5689". Guess that's as close as I will get to see "IC" motive power here in
Des Moines (It was a big unit that reminded me of the MAC70-90 series or maybe
the AW or Dash series. I know for sure it wasn't a shorter wheel base "GP" or
"SD" style series... had a 'wide cab').

Thanks again,

Lanny

createworks@...

Yes, those were GM&O. Most were off the property by around 1977, IIRC.

Sean

I just read Loren's note and went to an IC roster that is posted on the web.
It shows a series of IC RS3's numbered from 1515-1523. Were these GM&Os ... it
appears that 1 or 2 of them were ICG.

Sure would appreciate help and clarification on this. So far what I've read
on the forum is that IC didn't own any RS3 locos. So I don't understand why
those RS3 numbers are listed on the IC roster.

Thanks for any further help.

Lanny Nicolet

Joseph Tillman <jtillman@...>

Lanny,

I have been on vacation for the last 10 days and talk about missing a lot. This is one active webgroup! IC proper never owned RS-3's. After the August 1972 merger with GM&O, Illinois Central Gulf had possession and used several RS-3's until 1975 or so. At the risk of causing strife with any GM&O fans on this site (personally, I loved the black and white GP-35's with the Alco trucks and those red and white SD-40's were fine), Illinois Central was the dominant partner of the merger and many people referred to ICG as simply "Illinois Central" even after the merger. For your Iowa modeling interests, there is no prototype "Green Diamond" RS-3. If you want to model an RS-3, then to be historically correct it will have to orange and white with "Illinois Central Gulf" on the side or the maroon and red of the GM&O. Of course, it is your railroad and if you want to paint an RS-3 in the Green Diamond scheme, you can have it.

The "For What It's Worth Department" would like to note that I have and operate an old Athearn GP-35 in the Green Diamond scheme. This is not historically accurate since the only GP-35's used on the IC (maybe barring leased power) came from the GM&O. However, I just can't bring myself to strip down a locomotive in the Green Diamond scheme so it will continue to stay on my roster "as is".

Best wishes,
Joe Tillman

I just read Loren's note and went to an IC roster that is posted on the web.
It shows a series of IC RS3's numbered from 1515-1523. Were these GM&Os ... it
appears that 1 or 2 of them were ICG.

Sure would appreciate help and clarification on this. So far what I've read
on the forum is that IC didn't own any RS3 locos. So I don't understand why
those RS3 numbers are listed on the IC roster.

Thanks for any further help.

Lanny Nicolet

lannybev

Thanks Peter,

That sure seems to settle the issue. Appreciate your sharing that info.

Lanny Nicolet

Peter Arnold <p.arnold1576@...>

When obtaining information from the web; you need to consider what
it cost you and sometimes that is what it is worth....NOTHING! That
is an ICG roster which includes the GM&O Alco's. On page 127 of the
just released "Illinois Central Color Pictorial - Volume Two" author
Clifford Downey states
"Four RS1s and one RS1m were painted ICG orange-and-white but none
of the RS3s were painted.".

Peter Arnold