Topics

Tune button

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Hello,
my 7000 is connected to the radio port of a MFJ-993B tuner.
Unfortunately, the tune button on the 7000 does not trigger the low power keying of the transmitter. The TUNE message on the display lights up for a moment but then goes out immediatly afterwards.
Note that the 993B tunes up well when I manually set low power and RTTY mode and push the PTT.
I need your help!
Thank you.
Marco IU8HXM

Paul Hansen

The 933B by itself is only going to sense RF. You won’t have control of it without the MFJ-5123I interface cable. What you are seeing is normal without the interface cable.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road

Tucker, GA 30084

(864) 222-3539 office

www.amateurradioservice.com

my 7000 is connected to the radio port of a MFJ-993B tuner.
Unfortunately, the tune button on the 7000 does not trigger the low power keying of the transmitter. The TUNE message on the display lights up for a moment but then goes out immediatly afterwards.
Note that the 993B tunes up well when I manually set low power and RTTY mode and push the PTT.
I need your help!
Thank you.
Marco IU8HXM

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Edited

Hi Paul,
thank you for your answer.
My 7000 is connected to the radio interface of the 993B using an original MFJ-5123I cable.
Please also note that when I push the tune button on the 7000, the "Reverse" needle of the SWR meter of 993B has a pronounced forward dip and the 993B emits a tone. Immediately afterwards, the needle goes back to the initial position. No power from the IC-7000.
The needle also dips when I change band.

Best regards,
Marco IU8HXM

James Johnston <jimthej@...>

I have the same setup. When tuning stops, it is usually caused by the #1 wire breaking at the molex connector. If you have a tool for removing molex pins, you can solder in a jumper
Since mine is a travel rig, I pack a spare cable.

Jim Johnston

On Sep 13, 2018, at 13:48, MARCO EVANGELISTA <marcoevang@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Paul,
thank you for your answer.
My 7000 is connected to the radio interface of the 993B using an original MFJ-5123I cable.
Please also note that when I push the tune button on the 7000, the "Reverse" needle of the SWR meter of 993B has a pronounced forward dip and the 993B emits a tone. Immediately afterwards, the needle goes back to the initial position. No power from the IC-7000.
The needle also dips when I change band.

Best regards,
Marco IU8HXM

Norm Stewart

Assuming you have the 993 interface cable in the 7k 4 pin tuner port,  there does seem to be a problem with some radios - my 993 tuner worked fine with a 706, but the same cable did not work with the 706MKIIg or the 7000.  I assume that the start line is not being pulled low enough by the radio to trigger the tuning. I put an external push button to momentarily ground  the start line, and all works as expected with both of the newer radios.

Norm

w6nim

--
Sent from my antique Win7 desktop

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Edited

Hello,
I have noticed that under particular circumstances, the tune button works as expected.
After many trials, I have discovered the following sequence to have that button working:
- Power up the 993B
- power up the 7000. At this stage the Tune button does not work. When pushed, the red TUNE lamp on the display lights up and immediately afterwards it lights down. The transmitter is not keyed.

1) Make a tuning cycle by setting low power in rtty mode and pushing the PTT
2) Power down the IC-7000
3) Power up the IC-7000. Now the Tune button works!

I really wonder what the problem is, and if the issue concerns the 7000 or the 993B.
Any help will be much appreciated.

73
Marco IU8HXM

Kevin Grantham

I am guessing here. Icom changed the PTT circuit at some point. The signal from the tuner to the radio needs to be a ground. In the past, it was a +12V.

If you are using an older design tuner, it may place a 12V on the tune command lead. This has two effects – it may or may not cause the radio to start a tuning cycle, and the radio will report an over-temperature condition. This is because the radio has +8Vdc pull-up on that line that is also part of the thermocouple and by inserting 12Vdc the radio thinks it is running hot.

Icom tuners, and the IT-100 from LDG, correctly place a ground on that lead. Others may not. If your MFJ has an option to place a low/ground instead of a high/12Vdc on the control lead from the tuner to the radio, the whole setup may work better.

73,

Kevin N5KRG

Steve W3AHL

Marco,  The 7K requires a voltage on pin 2 (Start) of the Tuner port when it is powered up to recognize that there is an AH-4 compatible tuner connected.  In the 993B tuner, the voltage that goes to that pin comes from a PIC CPU port called WAKEUP.  It sounds like the WAKEUP signal (which is used as a pullup voltage to several circuits) is not driven high by the tuner until you go through the sequence you mentioned that works.  When you power cycle the 7K the second time, it then sees pin 2 as "high" and works normally.  Anything you do to wake up the tuner before powering up the 7K should make it work.

The 993B does NOT have the problem others have mentioned about supplying too high of a voltage on pin 1 (Key) of the Tuner port, which caused the temperature display and fan speed to be incorrect.  Pin 1 is only connected to an open collector transistor with no pullup resistor in the tuner (only using the one in the 7K, as it should).

Siince MFJ's user manual specifically states the IC-7000 is supported I suggest you email their support team and describe the problem you are having.

Steve, W3AHL

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Edited

Hi Steve,
thank you very much. I'll do as you say.
73
Marco, IU8HXM

Steve W3AHL

You might check the voltage on Tuner port pin 2 to ground (pin 4 or chassis) after you first power up the tuner and radio and then after "waking up" the tuner and power cycling the radio to verify that is the problem.

Steve, W3AHL

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Edited

Hi Steve,
I have done a few voltage measurements on pin 1 and pin 2 (negative on chassis) under various conditions:

A) 993B on and 7000 off, before waking up
Pin 1: 0,03 V,  Pin 2: 1,43 V

B) 993B on and 7000 on, before waking up
Pin 1: 0,02 V,  Pin 2: 4,52 V

C) 993B on and 7000 on during "tune" button keypress, before waking up (tune button does not work)
No change with respect to condition B)

D) 993B on and 7000 on, after manual tuning cycle (tuning OK, but tune button is not yet working)
Pin 1: 3,03 V,  Pin 2: 4,52 V

E) 993B on and 7000 off, after manual tuning cycle
Pin 1: 0,03 V,  Pin 2: 1,46 V , i.e. almost same as condition A)

F) 993B on and 7000 on, after waking up
Pin 1: 3,01 V,  Pin 2: 4,63 V,  almost same as D)

F) 993B on and 7000 on, during "tune" button keypress, after waking up (tune button works as expected)
Pin 1: 0 V,  Pin 2: 3,04 V

What changes before and after wakup is that before Pin 1 is at 0V, whilst after it is at 3V and it goes to 0V during tune button keypress.

Turning the 7000 only off and then on leaves the system in the "after wakeup" condition (tune button works).
Turning both the 7000 and 993B off, then 993B on and then 7000 on leaves the system in the "before wakeup condition" (tune button does not work).

Is the fault caused by the 993B or by the 7000 or by both?

Thank you.
73
Marco, IU8HXM

Steve W3AHL

Marco,

To determine if the tuner is pulling pin 1 low in condition B, disconnect the tuner interface cable at the radio's tuner port and measure Tuner port pin 1 to ground.  It should be 3 VDC.  If so, then the 993B tuner is pulling that line low when it shouldn't.

Stevek W3AHL

MARCO EVANGELISTA

Steve,
under the "before wakeup" condition, when the cable is connected to the 993B, but disconnected from the IC-7000, Pin 1 is at 0V.

Marco IU8HXM

Steve W3AHL

I'm traveling until about October 3 and don't have access to my 7K's nor test equipment.  Will try to look into it more when I get home.  Meanwhile contact MFJ support.

Steve, W3AHL