Topics

Ribbon cables for IC-7000?

W3 8900015210 CBL OPC-1448A (P0.5, N28, L60)  Main board to PA
W4 8900015210 CBL OPC-1448A (P0.5, N28, L60) Main board to PA
W5 8900015220 CBL OPC-1461A (P0.5, N30, L40) Main board to DDS
W6 8900015220 CBL OPC-1461A (P0.5, N30, L40) Main Board to DDS
W7 8900013970 CBL OPC-1450 (N=10, L=53) Man Board to Display
I cut the W7 cable off at the bend right at the socket where the cable was broken internally and scraped and tinned the ribbon for an emergency fix, but this did not get the click click going indicating that I was making some progress.
I pushed on the cables to the PA and got the click so there is the same problem for the PA cable(s).
I will try the same emergency fix on them but this really leaves little room m repto get the main board out for replacing the 4.7 ohm series with the regulator that burns out when there is a short on the line.
I soldered som small wires to let me replace the resistor with the board in place to troubleshoot the front panel.
Anybody have any ideas where I can get some ribbon cables?
I checked Radio Parts with no joy.

Helmut Wabnig

On Wed, 07 Nov 2018 15:02:46 -0800, you wrote:

Anybody have any ideas where I can get some ribbon cables?
I checked Radio Parts with no joy.

Aliexpress has them , a few bucks for a set of 100 pieces.

OE8UWW

Geoff

On 8 Nov 2018, at 10:02, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

[...]

Pasquale S

Hi
you can see Mouser.com
Look FFC cable and then you can selected what you want.
Seek your cable by pitch, number of conductor, lenght and contacts in the same side or not
I have found there some FFC ribbon cable for many ICOM’s radio.

73s de IW0HEX Pasquale.

Visita la mia homepage
http://home.teletu.it/iw0hex
73s de IW0HEX Pasquale

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2018 12:02 AM
Subject: [ic7000] Ribbon cables for IC-7000?

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

Pasquale S

Hi
you can see Mouser.com
Look FFC cable and then you can selected what you want.
Seek your cable by pitch, number of conductor, lenght and contacts in the same side or not
I have found there some FFC ribbon cable for many ICOM’s radio.

73s de IW0HEX Pasquale.

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

I found some possibilities on Digikey by pitch number of connections and the lengths (all too long, but better than too short.
Having time on my hands I tried cutting off the end where the conductors are bent and broken from too much flexing and carefully scraping the insulation off the end an tried that after glueing the little blue stiffener back on.
So far it seems that is working on the PA cable that was not letting the signal from the logic board get to the relay.
So far I have done that same thing to the cable from the main board to the connection board to the display.
Now I can return to the troubleshooting of the display panel.
OR at least that is where I think the problem is.
Instead of fighting the assembly ans disassembly of the display I think I will rig an 8 volt power supply to make sure that a short on the display 5 volt or 3.3 volt lines are not blowing the 4.7 ohm "fuse" on the main board.

maximilien971 <decastejac@...>

Hi

Maybe on Ebay there are a lot

Search FFC Ribbon cable

73
Patrick
F6GWE

Ok guys I have stripped the ends of the old cables until I can get new ones and cut them off at the point where they had been bent and flexed and broken.
I have the main part of the unit working and have tested it (more or less) with the front unit from my other rig,
I have compared the two front panel resistances and where the good one has a 1750 ohm reading on pin 8 (the 8 volt in) the bad one has about 950 ohms. The bad one reads similar to a diode with 1750 0ne way ant the 950 the other.
I have spent all day troubleshooting and what little hair I have left is in danger!
Does anyone know where I can get a good board or complete front?
Failing in that does anyone need the rest of the unit?
Those parts and traces in that (the others too) are darned small!.
Can a new or repaired board be bought from someone?

Price of a new front unit $400.53 and just the board $354.00, a little more than I feel comfortable spending on an older unit.
The Icom parts guy suggested that the panel unit was the best bet as then there are spare parts from the old unit.
Does anyone have an old non-functional IC-7000 for sale?