Receiver

kmg5443 <ka4koe@...>

Any idea on how good the receiver will be? My 756PRO has issues with
its receiver that are well documented by others. I may trade up to the
IC7000 since I really don't want a PRO2 and can't afford a PRO3.

Philip
KA4KOE

nicolasc33 <javier_ebay@...>

a 756Pro intends to be a good TRX, even if it may have some faults,
the IC-7000 is a last generation mobile, State of the art, I guess,
but still a mobile.

The main advantage for me is AM reception, long ago forgotten since
FL-102 AM filter, was not even an option.

My EA4 QTH is in central Madrid, and very noisy, and I make a lot of
Broadcast listening, as my main hobby is to repair old broadcast
radios.

So I give AM an important value. Some for good CW reception.

The interesting thing, is that once you go IF-DSP, you go all the way
down, RX, TX and all modes... and then when you buy a barebone TRX
all comes included.

I assume that being last generation, it will be fully updated, but
being a low cost mobile, of course it will be more like the 746PRO,
than as a 7800, that has a completely different achitecture, built as
no compromise for quality.

But I make most of my operation with some "basic" rigs, if you can
call a Collins 51-S3C or a Drake R7 a basic rig (I think they are).

I am an "oldie" and in amazed at these new rigs, of course I could
never repair them, I can't even see the SMC's and I understand
nothing of digital electronics. But there are so many things I have
missed for so many years in those boatanchors, that these small color
screen mobiles have...

To make it short, you get A LOT for the price, some things like
advanced AM reception I will love it. Some others like the 746PRO
built in RTTY decoding, not so much. I guess the 7000 has no RTTY
built in as it is a mobile.

So coming back to main question, receiver, I guess it will be at
least a better receiver than present 746PRO.

All the time I was talking about HF, I dont make much V/UHF activity
and no mobile activity at all. Very seldom portable.

Due to my broacast receiving activity, I am in contact with some
people in that hobby. Of course there are many ways to spend a lot of
money in that activity, but MANY of them will love to have a small,
IF-DSP state of art receiver, as I am quite sure the IC-7000 will be.

Only concern (if any) courrent draw during reception. IC-706 it is
2A, while a Yaesu 817 it is only 150mA. I guess the DSP will not help
to lower consumption.

Javier EA4CWY