Topics

Question on COMpression meter

Phillip Potter

Hi all,
So, while I was on vacation, my Diamond SG-7900 dual-band antenna fell apart!  The whip came off with parts, I'm sure, bouncing on the roadway, while I merrily sped away, totally ignorant! I spent some time today rebuilding the antenna and testing it.  Everything fell into order with it and a quick check with an antenna analyzer proved it to be true.

What has me stumped a bit, is that when I was transmitting on 2M FM I noticed that the COM (compression) meter was one segment into the red and occasionally two segments into the red. I started looking through the manual, BUT never found anything about the COM meter as relates to FM, but did find the microphone setting section which did. Does that mean that I need to lower the gain on my microphone to bring the COM meter out of the red, even though COM doesn't show on the display and can't be enabled (AFAIK)?

It has been pretty hot here, so maybe I have heat exhaustion, or some such...LOL!

Phil

Phillip Potter

I got to looking at the display again, only to find that it was the ALC meter!!!  Not the COMpression meter. Back to manual...

Phil