Price check for the IC-7000


vvv333445 <mab2000@...>
 

Well, looking at Universal-radio.com here are the current prices for the mobile rigs:

IC-706mk2g with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:

$1,245

FT857ND with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:

$1,140

TS-480 with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:

$1,360

--------------------------------------------

Now, the IC-7000 will not need extra filters and the HSC unit is built-in. If we take the
highest price (Kenwood at $1,360), the IC-7000 being a new radio AND a DSP radio (all
existing radios are analog), you can see or imagine where the msrp and street prices will
be.

-Best


Ya`akov N. Miles <ve7alq@...>
 

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "vvv333445" <mab2000@v...> wrote:
[snip]
Well, looking at Universal-radio.com here are the current prices for
the mobile rigs:

IC-706mk2g with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:

$1,245
Here in Canada you can buy a barenaked IC-706mkiiG for CDN$1199 plus
taxes. The filters come to approximately CDN$150 each. I have no
idea what the "HSC unit" is. If you mean the TCXO high stability
crystal unit part CR-282 it costs me CDN$200-CDN$300 including the
recommended professional Icom installation on my IC-706mkiiG.

73's


MKM <mab2000@...>
 

Yes, I mean TCXO, sorry about the confusion.

On Feb 26, 2005, at 11:13 PM, Ya`akov N. Miles wrote:


--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, "vvv333445" <mab2000@v...> wrote:
[snip]
> Well, looking at Universal-radio.com here are the current prices for
the mobile rigs:
>
> IC-706mk2g with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:
>
> $1,245

Here in Canada you can buy a barenaked IC-706mkiiG for CDN$1199 plus
taxes.  The filters come to approximately CDN$150 each.  I have no
idea what the "HSC unit" is.  If you mean the TCXO high stability
crystal unit part CR-282 it costs me CDN$200-CDN$300 including the
recommended professional Icom installation on my IC-706mkiiG.

73's






Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
<22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
<l.gif>

Yahoo! Groups Links

• To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/
 
• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.


Paul Manuel <k4pdm@...>
 

--- vvv333445 <mab2000@verizon.net> wrote:
Well, looking at Universal-radio.com here are the current prices for the
mobile rigs: IC-706mk2g with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB
filter:$1,245
FT857ND with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:$1,140
TS-480 with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter: $1,360
I respectfully submit that you are looking at the wrong store. Although I
have bought many items from Universal because they are nice folks and are
the nearest ham store to my location, they are never the cheapest.

I don't think you can directly compare the cost of a radio with hardware
filtering to a rig that uses DSP. The hardware filters are more
expensive--one set of DSP chips and it has it all, and probably no
alignment necessary on the filtering circuit.

I am not making a prediction of what the 7000 WILL cost--Maybe ICOM will
shoot itself in the foot and charge $1800 for it. But I think the radio
SHOULD cost about $1000, and will soon after it is introduced, if not
initially.
73,
Paul K4PDM



__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail


MKM <mab2000@...>
 

Universal Radio has a great web site and they have a great setup to see
the related options for a given item..that is why I gave their example.
it was easy on me.

Of course they are not the cheapest and we all know that. All is
relative, take whatever discount you wish and apply it to the listed
price and you will get the other store prices.

For the statement if you can directly compare a DSP radio to an analog
one: well that is what we have as a competition now, don't we? Don't
worry, people will directly compare it to those existing radios
regardless of engineering merits of the old analog ones.

BTW, I realize that people are not comfortable about pricing since
different folks with different means. Some wish for a below $1K price
(unrealistic), some expect a premium for this radio (listen to the 3840
group and they agree for a 1600-1700 price) as well. I think I heard
w6obb confirming that it will be high dollar radio through his
connections at HRO. He is a well connected man:)

-best

On Feb 27, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Paul Manuel wrote:


--- vvv333445 <mab2000@verizon.net> wrote:
> Well, looking at Universal-radio.com here are the current prices
for the
> mobile rigs:  IC-706mk2g with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB
filter:$1,245
> FT857ND with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:$1,140
> TS-480 with HSC unit and one CW + one SSB filter:  $1,360

I respectfully submit that you are looking at the wrong store.
Although I
have bought many items from Universal because they are nice folks and
are
the nearest ham store to my location, they are never the cheapest.

I don't think you can directly compare the cost of a radio with
hardware
filtering to a rig that uses DSP. The hardware filters are more
expensive--one set of DSP chips and it has it all, and probably no
alignment necessary on the filtering circuit.

I am not making a prediction of what the 7000 WILL cost--Maybe ICOM
will
shoot itself in the foot and charge $1800 for it. But I think the
radio
SHOULD cost about $1000, and will soon after it is introduced, if not
initially.
73,
Paul K4PDM


           
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
<22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
<l.gif>

Yahoo! Groups Links

• To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/
 
• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.


Adam Farson
 

Hi Paul,

Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now outsourcing PCB fab,
die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly manufacture to
lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the price down
to the $1K level.

Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture are
absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and capability, are
driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.

"In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and down.
There is no backwards."

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ



Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/


Ya`akov N. Miles <ve7alq@...>
 

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
Hi Paul,
[snip]
Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture are
absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and capability
are driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.
Yeah, tell me about it. Here I pay on the average of $150 for each
crystal filter that goes into my Icom IC-706mkiiG. I would like to
install more, but the IC-706mkiiG will accept a maximum of two
filters. Then I am into the uncharted waters of replacing FL-272
filter 2.4 kHz with FL-223 filter 1.9 kHz, as I want the narrow SSB
filter more than I want the nice-sounding SSB filter which is soldered
in as default :(

If the IC-7000 does check in at around USD$1000 with no filters to
buy, then it would be a Good Thing (IMHO) I hope that Icom does not
compromise on CW performance, even though that mode has been
deprecated recently. I do all my HF operating in Morse Code.


MKM <mab2000@...>
 

I think it will have a good CW performance. Icom DSP filters are very
good indeed. They will use the same code and algorithms from the
7800/pro3. In fact this is what dsp is all about, consistency across
the board with good software QC. Once you have a piece of code working
right, you just implement it on the other radios just like object
oriented programming.

OT: I have been thinking about the digital audio in/out of the
7800....maybe, just maybe the 7000 will have it as well. That will be
sweet for PSK/RTTY operation. I doubt it though because of cost.
Speculating, of course.

-best

On Feb 27, 2005, at 1:03 PM, Ya`akov N. Miles wrote:

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
[snip]
> Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture are
> absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and capability
> are driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.

Yeah, tell me about it.  Here I pay on the average of $150 for each
crystal filter that goes into my Icom IC-706mkiiG.  I would like to
install more, but the IC-706mkiiG will accept a maximum of two
filters.  Then I am into the uncharted waters of replacing FL-272
filter 2.4 kHz with FL-223 filter 1.9 kHz, as I want the narrow SSB
filter more than I want the nice-sounding SSB filter which is soldered
in as default :(

If the IC-7000 does check in at around USD$1000 with no filters to
buy, then it would be a Good Thing (IMHO)  I hope that Icom does not
compromise on CW performance, even though that mode has been
deprecated recently.  I do all my HF operating in Morse Code.






Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
<22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
<l.gif>

Yahoo! Groups Links

• To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/
 
• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.


Marty <kt4k@...>
 

...and maybe video out for base use. Now that would be nice!
Marty

-----Original Message-----
From: MKM

....

OT: I have been thinking about the digital audio in/out of the
7800....maybe, just maybe the 7000 will have it as well. That will be
sweet for PSK/RTTY operation. I doubt it though because of cost.
Speculating, of course.

-best


Dr. Howard S. White <drpaper@...>
 

How about a built in DVD Player so it can double as a babysitter

----- Original Message -----
From: Marty
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [ic7000] Re: Price check for the IC-7000


...and maybe video out for base use. Now that would be nice!
Marty

-----Original Message-----
From: MKM

....

OT: I have been thinking about the digital audio in/out of the
7800....maybe, just maybe the 7000 will have it as well. That will be
sweet for PSK/RTTY operation. I doubt it though because of cost.
Speculating, of course.

-best



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Adam Farson
 

Ladies and gentlemen,

Please...let's keep it "reasonably" serious.

Best 73,
Adam, VA7OJ/AB4OJ
Owner, Yahoo! ic7000 Group

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Howard S. White [mailto:drpaper@msn.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 13:14
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ic7000] Re: Price check for the IC-7000



How about a built in DVD Player so it can double as a babysitter


----- Original Message -----
From: Marty
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [ic7000] Re: Price check for the IC-7000


...and maybe video out for base use. Now that would be nice!
Marty

-----Original Message-----
From: MKM

....

OT: I have been thinking about the digital audio in/out of the
7800....maybe, just maybe the 7000 will have it as well. That will be
sweet for PSK/RTTY operation. I doubt it though because of cost.
Speculating, of course.

-best



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT





----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Yahoo! Groups Links

a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.








Yahoo! Groups Links








Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/


Oba <ja7ude@...>
 

Adam-san and all,

On February 25, Kenwood and Icom agreed to cross-hold shares and
join forces in the development of next generation digital
communication products.

73 de JA7UDE Oba



--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now
outsourcing PCB fab,
die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly
manufacture to
lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the
price down
to the $1K level.

Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture
are
absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and
capability, are
driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.

"In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and
down.
There is no backwards."

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ


MKM <mab2000@...>
 

BIG NEWS!

I am impressed!

Thank you, Oba!

On Feb 27, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Oba wrote:


Adam-san and all,

On February 25, Kenwood and Icom agreed to cross-hold shares and
join forces in the development of next generation digital
communication products.

73 de JA7UDE Oba



--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now
outsourcing PCB fab,
> die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly
manufacture to
> lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the
price down
> to the $1K level.
>
> Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture
are
> absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and
capability, are
> driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.
>
> "In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and
down.
> There is no backwards."
>
> Cheers for now, 73,
> Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ
>







Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

ADVERTISEMENT
<22305_0205_016_b_300250_a.gif>
<l.gif>

Yahoo! Groups Links

• To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/
 
• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
 
• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.


jdow <jdow@...>
 

Oh my! Fascinating.
{^_^}

----- Original Message -----
From: "Oba" <ja7ude@gmail.com>

Adam-san and all,

On February 25, Kenwood and Icom agreed to cross-hold shares and
join forces in the development of next generation digital
communication products.

73 de JA7UDE Oba



--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now
outsourcing PCB fab,
die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly
manufacture to
lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the
price down
to the $1K level.

Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture
are
absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and
capability, are
driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.

"In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and
down.
There is no backwards."

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ


Dr. Howard S. White <drpaper@...>
 

Who is taking over whom?

Which one will survive?

__________________________________________________________
Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6 ex-AE6SM KY6LA
"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Formerly "Awfully Extremely Six Sado Masochist"
"Krazy Yankee Six Loves America"

----- Original Message -----
From: jdow
To: ic7000@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ic7000] Re: Price check for the IC-7000


Oh my! Fascinating.
{^_^}
----- Original Message -----
From: "Oba" <ja7ude@gmail.com>

> Adam-san and all,
>
> On February 25, Kenwood and Icom agreed to cross-hold shares and
> join forces in the development of next generation digital
> communication products.
>
> 73 de JA7UDE Oba
>
>
>
> --- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now
> outsourcing PCB fab,
> > die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly
> manufacture to
> > lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the
> price down
> > to the $1K level.
> >
> > Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture
> are
> > absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and
> capability, are
> > driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.
> >
> > "In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and
> down.
> > There is no backwards."
> >
> > Cheers for now, 73,
> > Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
ic7000-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Matt Yellen
 

ICOM radios are made and assembled in Japan, I have been to the
factory myself.

--- In ic7000@yahoogroups.com, Adam Farson <farson@s...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Considering that all the Japanese manufacturers are now
outsourcing PCB fab,
die-cast chassis injection moulding and other subassembly
manufacture to
lower-labour-cost areas in Asia, Icom should be able to hold the
price down
to the $1K level.

Your comments about DSP vs. analogue/crystal-filter architecture
are
absolutely correct. Economics, as well as performance and
capability, are
driving the shift to 100% DSP implementations.

"In technology, there are only two degrees of freedom: forward and
down.
There is no backwards."

Cheers for now, 73,
Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ



Scanned by WinProxy
http://www.Ositis.com/