Topics

Power adapter/ power supply

Ahmad Eddie Mobasheri

Hi all,
Can I use a 110/230 to 13.8V out , 2.5A as a power supply unit for my Ic-7000?
Thanks
***********************
A. Eddie Mobasheri
46 Bollard Avenue
New Windsor 0600
Auckland, NZ
Ph: +64 0212 (Persia) 737 742
**************************************

--
Eddie Mobasheri
Auckland, New Zealand

k6tfz

From the IC7000 manual - - -
Specifications: Power consumption (approx. for 13.8VDC +/-15%) Tx
Rx Max. Power
Standby
Max. Audio   22.0A
1.3A
1.6A
K6TFZ

Hi all,
Can I use a 110/230 to 13.8V out , 2.5A as a power supply unit for my Ic-7000?
Thanks
***********************
A. Eddie Mobasheri
46 Bollard Avenue
New Windsor 0600
Auckland, NZ
Ph: +64 0212 (Persia) 737 742
**************************************

--
Eddie Mobasheri
Auckland, New Zealand
ZL1AEM

Brian (N2MLP)

I would get a 20A power supply

========================

         de N2MLP Brian

       Monroe County PA

========================

Can I use a 110/230 to 13.8V out , 2.5A as a power supply unit for my Ic-7000?

Thanks

***********************

A. Eddie Mobasheri

46 Bollard Avenue

New Windsor 0600

Auckland, NZ

Ph: +64 0212 (Persia) 737 742

**************************************

--
Eddie Mobasheri
Auckland, New Zealand
ZL1AEM

Mark J Culross

Eddie:

The power supply at 13.8VDC / 2.5A should be sufficient for receiving.  However, when transmitting at the full 100W that the radio is capable of, your radio can potentially pull up to 20A current (at the same 13.8VDC).  If you plan to transmit at full power, you'll definitely need a bigger power supply.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

On Friday, March 1, 2019, 8:26:19 PM CST, Ahmad Eddie Mobasheri <aemobasheri@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Can I use a 110/230 to 13.8V out , 2.5A as a power supply unit for my Ic-7000?
Thanks
***********************
A. Eddie Mobasheri
46 Bollard Avenue
New Windsor 0600
Auckland, NZ
Ph: +64 0212 (Persia) 737 742
**************************************

--
Eddie Mobasheri
Auckland, New Zealand
ZL1AEM

Howard Jones

It will receive but you wont be able to transmit

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM k6tfz via Groups.Io <K6TFZ=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
From the IC7000 manual - - -
[...]

Regards

Howard Jones

Edited

Of course you can use it as long as you don't hit the transmit button.
The current goes from ~ 2 amps to 22 amp when you do.
The radio has circuitry that limits the power to keep within the 22 amps on transmit and that is what it will draw under full power output.
I would suggest a 30 amp power supply.
If you are limited in the power supply you can get it is possible to use a car battery, charged by the 2.5 amp power supply to supply more current for brief periods at a reduced power level.

Kurt Sweeny

Hi Amad,

No.

The amp rating is too low.
You need something that will provide approx 18 amps continuous and 25 amps peak to be safe. Others I am sure will tighten up these specs for me.

As an aside, 2.5 amps will not cover receive mode with the AF gain turned up.

Kurt
KD6LZV

On Mar 1, 2019, at 6:25 PM, Ahmad Eddie Mobasheri <aemobasheri@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Can I use a 110/230 to 13.8V out , 2.5A as a power supply unit for my Ic-7000?
Thanks
***********************
A. Eddie Mobasheri
46 Bollard Avenue
New Windsor 0600
Auckland, NZ
Ph: +64 0212 (Persia) 737 742
**************************************

--
Eddie Mobasheri
Auckland, New Zealand
ZL1AEM

Ray

One of the problems I find with my IC-7000 is when I'm in the mobile and the motor is not running... the radio will not put out full power.  That radio requires a full 13.8 volts to operate at full power.  A booster is required to keep the battery voltage at 13.8 volts when the car is not running/charging the battery.
Ray - N4GYN

Michel MNR

Dans le menu caché ( service manual ) p.22  4-7 il est possible de régler la puissance HF Low Volt. D'origine la puissance est réglé à 75w mais ce réglage est rarement respecté.
Michel  F6FSC

wb0m

"One of the problems I find with my IC-7000 is when I'm in the mobile and the motor is not running... the radio will not put out full power.  That radio requires a full 13.8 volts to operate at full power.  A booster is required to keep the battery voltage at 13.8 volts when the car is not running/charging the battery.

Hi Ray,

Yes, that sounds normal, from my experience, too. What kind of booster are you using?

Tnx & 73
Jeff/wb0m

Ray

Hi Jeff,
I tried the MFJ booster and had problems with it.  I've never purchased another one.
I just run the motor if I'm going to do 100W on HF for a short time.
73,
Ray N4GYN

"One of the problems I find with my IC-7000 is when I'm in the mobile and the motor is not running... the radio will not put out full power.  That radio requires a full 13.8 volts to operate at full power.  A booster is required to keep the battery voltage at 13.8 volts when the car is not running/charging the battery.

Hi Ray,

Yes, that sounds normal, from my experience, too. What kind of booster are you using?

Tnx & 73
Jeff/wb0m

Helmut Wabnig

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 17:29:09 +0000, you wrote:

Hi Jeff,
I tried the MFJ booster and had problems with it. I've never purchased
another one.
I just run the motor if I'm going to do 100W on HF for a short time.
73,
Ray N4GYN
What problems?
I am using the booster from time to time and did not have any issues.

OE8UWW

Ron Peak

It is the "amps" that matter!   It needs a bare minimum of 22 amps to operate at full power out.   Always read the manual, and if, by some chance you don't have the manual you can download it from the net.  Just google Icom 7000 manual.   . .  vy 73, de Ron, W5RRP first licensed in 1962 as WN6BGL.

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 7:28 PM Ray <srbailey@...> wrote:
One of the problems I find with my IC-7000 is when I'm in the mobile and the motor is not running... the radio will not put out full power.  That radio requires a full 13.8 volts to operate at full power.  A booster is required to keep the battery voltage at 13.8 volts when the car is not running/charging the battery.
Ray - N4GYN

--
Ron Peak
W5RRP

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information in this document may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

ZS1DFR

Hi, I use an N8XJK Boost Regulator by TGElectronics, and have the radio running on 13.9V regardless of my car battery sagging a bit.
--
Regards,
Dave

Actually the ALC circuit is set to limit the current draw to pretty much exactly 22 amps.
If the current gets to 22 amps the power will fold back to limit it to that 22 amps.
Power might or might not be exactly 100 watts depending on some other factors or settings.
How important is having exactly 100 watts out?
How closely can you measure it?