OPC 1443 Radio to Head Cable -Replacement by an Internet Connection ?

Kurt Sweeny

Group,

Has anyone tried to replace the OPC-1443 with an Internet connection; theoretically a remote connection with close to full radio functionality. Interested in throwing this around.

The cable would be tough to splice because of size and shielding of small wires. Some A/D conversions might be needed for mic and speaker audio.

Any ideas on the communication protocol used on the cable? Could 7000 be using the same codes on the OPC-1443 that are used on CI-V?

FLRIG and LMView look to be nice programs but leave something for the chronic fiddler of ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­settings .

Thanks

Kurt

KD6LZV

Scott Honaker

The IC-7000 head cable is not easily replaced because it contains the video to the head.  The IC-7100 head was designed for this by using the RemoteRig devices. Interestingly, the control data sent over the cable on the IC-7100 cable is not CI-V.  This is likely true for the IC-7000 as well.  There are several efforts to do this with the IC-7100 because there is no video data.  https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/l0u3an/my_ic7100_remote_head_project/.

RemoteRig is not an option for the IC-7000.  The IC-7000 is supported by Icom's RS-BA1 software which could offer similar functionality.

Scott N7SS

Kurt Sweeny

Scott,

Is the video running on the cable a show stopper. Theoretically, couldn’t the video signal be managed over an internet connection (more bandwidth required.) I see three categories of data types needing to be accommodated audio, video (thankstoScott) and rig control instructions. Maybe I am being simplistic and the devil is always if in the details, but taken as separate items each data type is managed over an internet connection all the time. Again I am clueless about the communication protocol on the head to body cable but maybe the info is out there. Sounds like a tuff one but would like to learn more.

Thanks Scott !

Kurt

KD6LZV

P.S. How well would  FLrig or VFView work for the IC-7000 remote application ?