No TX audio on JS8CALL


Carl KO4SSA
 

Hi Team

I have an IC-7000, transmits well with hand mic both FM and SSB. Transmits Tune tone well.

When using JS8CALL, audio is not getting onto the signal, I see no power fluctuation on the meter.
I’m using the DATA port, receiving and decoding signals fine.
I’ve verified the audio signal is present all the way to the pin on the DATA connector, using oscilloscope.
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)

Now get this: I use the monitor function on the IC-7000, and I hear the JS8CALL tones on the 7300!! So the signal is getting to the radio.

Do I have a DATA socket problem??



Carl
KO4SSA


Charles & Sandra Cohen
 

The problem is probably that your software isn't telling the IC-7000 to go into XMIT mode.

Check the settings in JS8CALL, see how it is doing XMIT / RCV switching, and check that whatever it does on the DATA port matches what the IC-7000 expects.  I'm pretty sure there _is_ a "PTT" line in both the 6-pin and 13-pin DATA jacks.

Unfortunately, Icom didn't put a "digital VOX" capability into the IC-7000.

>>>
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)
>>>

Ahh -- if the JS8CALL "Tune" button puts the IC-7000 into XMIT mode, but there's no power output from the rig:

. . . Check that you're using the correct pin on the DATA jack -- I think it's called "MOD" (modulator input),
. . . and that you're in USB mode, 
. . . and, if there's a menu item that switches between MIC and DATA, that it's set to DATA.

.   Charles / va7cpc


Carl KO4SSA
 

Thanks for the response.

I’m using CAT control and everything there works.  In fact, I can hit TUNE on JS8CALL, radio goes into transmit, and will modulate my voice from the speaker mic.

It’s really weird.  I can use the monitor function on ic-7000 and hear the tune tone and the JS8 worble… so really, the audio is making it into the ic-7000, and out the speaker somehow!  But it’s not modulating the SSB. 

The manual p 116 says make the data signal 0.4Vp-p and I’ve verified with my oscilloscope.

Time to take the radio apart!!!!
…. actually, before that, I’m going to hook up a function generator to the data in, and see what happens. 
CB


On Aug 23, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Charles & Sandra Cohen via groups.io <cpcohen1945@...> wrote:

The problem is probably that your software isn't telling the IC-7000 to go into XMIT mode.

Check the settings in JS8CALL, see how it is doing XMIT / RCV switching, and check that whatever it does on the DATA port matches what the IC-7000 expects.  I'm pretty sure there _is_ a "PTT" line in both the 6-pin and 13-pin DATA jacks.

Unfortunately, Icom didn't put a "digital VOX" capability into the IC-7000.

>>>
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)
>>>

Ahh -- if the JS8CALL "Tune" button puts the IC-7000 into XMIT mode, but there's no power output from the rig:

. . . Check that you're using the correct pin on the DATA jack -- I think it's called "MOD" (modulator input),
. . . and that you're in USB mode, 
. . . and, if there's a menu item that switches between MIC and DATA, that it's set to DATA.

.   Charles / va7cpc


 

What connector are you feeding the audio into? The book says that the front mike is disconnected win digital. Perhaps the audio signals are not going into the proper pins?
Does it work on WSJT-X?
1 DATA IN Input terminal for data transmit. (1200 bps: AFSK/9600 bps: G3RUH, GMSK)
2 GND Common ground for DATA IN, DATA OUT and AF OUT.
3 PTT P PTT terminal for packet operation. Connect to ground to activate the transmitter. When grounded, microphone input (pin 6) of [MIC] connector will be disconnected.
4 DATA OUT Data out terminal for 9600 bps operation only.
5 AF OUT Data out terminal for 1200 bps operation only.
6 SQL Squelch out terminal. This pin is grounded when the transceiver receives a signal which opens the squelch. • To avoid interfering transmissions, connect squelch to the TNC to inhibit transmission when squelch is open. • Keep RF gain at a normal level, otherwise a “SQL” signal will not be output


Glenn Jensen
 

CB – before you rip the rig apart… does your configuration support other digital modes (i.e. PSK, FT-8, Olivia, etc)?  Are you using any sort of commercial interface between the computer and your rig (i.e. a RIGblaster or SignalLink)?  Are you simply trying to connect PC audio to the 13-pin port – missed that in your config.

My configuration (with the 7K) works just fine, feeding it with a RIGblaster PNP.  In my case, I also have a separate USB CAT cable (because I use this on Ubuntu and macOS in addition to Win10 (RIGblaster virtualizes the USB to provide the audio interface and CAT from a single USB connection (only on Win10)). 

73’s,


Glenn

 

 

 

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Carl N1MRV via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 2:33 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] No TX audio on JS8CALL

 

Thanks for the response.

 

I’m using CAT control and everything there works.  In fact, I can hit TUNE on JS8CALL, radio goes into transmit, and will modulate my voice from the speaker mic.

 

It’s really weird.  I can use the monitor function on ic-7000 and hear the tune tone and the JS8 worble… so really, the audio is making it into the ic-7000, and out the speaker somehow!  But it’s not modulating the SSB. 

 

The manual p 116 says make the data signal 0.4Vp-p and I’ve verified with my oscilloscope.

 

Time to take the radio apart!!!!

…. actually, before that, I’m going to hook up a function generator to the data in, and see what happens. 

CB

 



On Aug 23, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Charles & Sandra Cohen via groups.io <cpcohen1945@...> wrote:

 

The problem is probably that your software isn't telling the IC-7000 to go into XMIT mode.

Check the settings in JS8CALL, see how it is doing XMIT / RCV switching, and check that whatever it does on the DATA port matches what the IC-7000 expects.  I'm pretty sure there _is_ a "PTT" line in both the 6-pin and 13-pin DATA jacks.

Unfortunately, Icom didn't put a "digital VOX" capability into the IC-7000.

>>>
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)
>>>

Ahh -- if the JS8CALL "Tune" button puts the IC-7000 into XMIT mode, but there's no power output from the rig:

. . . Check that you're using the correct pin on the DATA jack -- I think it's called "MOD" (modulator input),
. . . and that you're in USB mode, 
. . . and, if there's a menu item that switches between MIC and DATA, that it's set to DATA.

.   Charles / va7cpc

 


Carl KO4SSA
 

JD - going in through DATA connector, 6 pin DIN, and separate CAT cable.  I’m trying to get one of the AX.25 programs working, so I can try on FM, which will be a different modulator.

Glenn - yeah I should try JTDX.  Trying to get AX.25 going, as this would go through an FM modulator, see if that works. I’m using HamPi, with a simple USB sound card, Unitek Y-247A.

On Aug 23, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Glenn Jensen <WA6BJQ@...> wrote:

CB – before you rip the rig apart… does your configuration support other digital modes (i.e. PSK, FT-8, Olivia, etc)?  Are you using any sort of commercial interface between the computer and your rig (i.e. a RIGblaster or SignalLink)?  Are you simply trying to connect PC audio to the 13-pin port – missed that in your config.

My configuration (with the 7K) works just fine, feeding it with a RIGblaster PNP.  In my case, I also have a separate USB CAT cable (because I use this on Ubuntu and macOS in addition to Win10 (RIGblaster virtualizes the USB to provide the audio interface and CAT from a single USB connection (only on Win10)). 

73’s,


Glenn

 

 

 

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Carl N1MRV via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 2:33 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] No TX audio on JS8CALL

 

Thanks for the response.

 

I’m using CAT control and everything there works.  In fact, I can hit TUNE on JS8CALL, radio goes into transmit, and will modulate my voice from the speaker mic.

 

It’s really weird.  I can use the monitor function on ic-7000 and hear the tune tone and the JS8 worble… so really, the audio is making it into the ic-7000, and out the speaker somehow!  But it’s not modulating the SSB. 

 

The manual p 116 says make the data signal 0.4Vp-p and I’ve verified with my oscilloscope.

 

Time to take the radio apart!!!!

…. actually, before that, I’m going to hook up a function generator to the data in, and see what happens. 

CB

 



On Aug 23, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Charles & Sandra Cohen via groups.io <cpcohen1945@...> wrote:

 

The problem is probably that your software isn't telling the IC-7000 to go into XMIT mode.

Check the settings in JS8CALL, see how it is doing XMIT / RCV switching, and check that whatever it does on the DATA port matches what the IC-7000 expects.  I'm pretty sure there _is_ a "PTT" line in both the 6-pin and 13-pin DATA jacks.

Unfortunately, Icom didn't put a "digital VOX" capability into the IC-7000.

>>>
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)
>>>

Ahh -- if the JS8CALL "Tune" button puts the IC-7000 into XMIT mode, but there's no power output from the rig:

. . . Check that you're using the correct pin on the DATA jack -- I think it's called "MOD" (modulator input),
. . . and that you're in USB mode, 
. . . and, if there's a menu item that switches between MIC and DATA, that it's set to DATA.

.   Charles / va7cpc

 




Glenn Jensen
 

Thanks Carl….

more questions / advice (before you tear the rig apart)

 

  1. have you ever been able to work digital modes with your 7K (or any rig)?
  2. do you have anything other than the Unitek Y-247A?
  3. are you intimately familiar with Linux?
    1. Make sure that pulseaudio has not switched out your ports (see picture below – from HamPi)
  4. Get PSK (on FLDigi) or FT8 on WSJTX/JTDX working first



 

https://support.hamradiodeluxe.com/support/solutions/articles/51000052603-interfaces-for-digital-modes

Should be electrically isolated from the rig…. Best practices



 

 

 

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Carl N1MRV via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 5:58 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] No TX audio on JS8CALL

 

JD - going in through DATA connector, 6 pin DIN, and separate CAT cable.  I’m trying to get one of the AX.25 programs working, so I can try on FM, which will be a different modulator.

 

Glenn - yeah I should try JTDX.  Trying to get AX.25 going, as this would go through an FM modulator, see if that works. I’m using HamPi, with a simple USB sound card, Unitek Y-247A.



On Aug 23, 2021, at 7:16 PM, Glenn Jensen <WA6BJQ@...> wrote:

 

CB – before you rip the rig apart… does your configuration support other digital modes (i.e. PSK, FT-8, Olivia, etc)?  Are you using any sort of commercial interface between the computer and your rig (i.e. a RIGblaster or SignalLink)?  Are you simply trying to connect PC audio to the 13-pin port – missed that in your config.

My configuration (with the 7K) works just fine, feeding it with a RIGblaster PNP.  In my case, I also have a separate USB CAT cable (because I use this on Ubuntu and macOS in addition to Win10 (RIGblaster virtualizes the USB to provide the audio interface and CAT from a single USB connection (only on Win10)). 

73’s,


Glenn

 

 

 

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of Carl N1MRV via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 2:33 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] No TX audio on JS8CALL

 

Thanks for the response.

 

I’m using CAT control and everything there works.  In fact, I can hit TUNE on JS8CALL, radio goes into transmit, and will modulate my voice from the speaker mic.

 

It’s really weird.  I can use the monitor function on ic-7000 and hear the tune tone and the JS8 worble… so really, the audio is making it into the ic-7000, and out the speaker somehow!  But it’s not modulating the SSB. 

 

The manual p 116 says make the data signal 0.4Vp-p and I’ve verified with my oscilloscope.

 

Time to take the radio apart!!!!

…. actually, before that, I’m going to hook up a function generator to the data in, and see what happens. 

CB

 




On Aug 23, 2021, at 4:11 PM, Charles & Sandra Cohen via groups.io <cpcohen1945@...> wrote:

 

The problem is probably that your software isn't telling the IC-7000 to go into XMIT mode.

Check the settings in JS8CALL, see how it is doing XMIT / RCV switching, and check that whatever it does on the DATA port matches what the IC-7000 expects.  I'm pretty sure there _is_ a "PTT" line in both the 6-pin and 13-pin DATA jacks.

Unfortunately, Icom didn't put a "digital VOX" capability into the IC-7000.

>>>
The tune button on JS8CALL software also does not cause modulation (radio does go to TX, controlled by CAT)
>>>

Ahh -- if the JS8CALL "Tune" button puts the IC-7000 into XMIT mode, but there's no power output from the rig:

. . . Check that you're using the correct pin on the DATA jack -- I think it's called "MOD" (modulator input),
. . . and that you're in USB mode, 
. . . and, if there's a menu item that switches between MIC and DATA, that it's set to DATA.

.   Charles / va7cpc

 

 

 


Bill Storey
 

Do you have to put the radio into usb-d mode?, or am I confusing this with the 746 pro?

Would you believe? Sent from my shoe phone's big brother and still no keyboard. Please excuse auto connections caused by typhoons.


Glenn Jensen
 

Bill,

Mine is simply in USB mode - with the interface connected to port in the rear of the rig.

73's


Glenn


On 8/24/2021 6:42 PM, Bill Storey via groups.io wrote:
Do you have to put the radio into usb-d mode?, or am I confusing this with the 746 pro?

Would you believe? Sent from my shoe phone's big brother and still no keyboard.  Please excuse auto connections caused by typhoons. 






Charles & Sandra Cohen
 

With connections to both the DATA (13-pin) and 6-pin DIN jack:

. . . Is it possible that the IC-7000 is getting a PTT signal on the 6-pin DIN jack,
. . . . and audio on the 13-pin DATA jack,

. . . and that it ignores the 13-pin DATA jack audio signal, because of the PTT on 6-pin DIN ?

Try switching things around so that both PTT and audio are coming in via the same jack.

.   Charles / va7cpc

PS -- I should have a manual reference for this.  I remember it as a problem on some rigs, but haven't checked it for the IC-7000.


Kevin Grantham
 

No Data mode on the IC7000

Audio on the 13 pin is summed with the two mic inputs so if using that connector you will want to unplug the mic(s)

PTT on the miniDIN6 will mute both mics and the 13 pin and accept audio only from the miniDIN6. It is the better choice when going back and forth between phone and data since you can leave the mic(s) connected.

I say “mic(s)” because I made a short M-F modular adapter with the mic audio cut and used that for the Icom-supplied mic. I used a Heil ICM for the actual mic and used a footswitch with it. That gave me the ability to use the PTT on the ICM for hasty contacts, the footswitch when running a net, and the Icom mic as a handswitch. Plus I retained use of the keys on the Icom mic for direct frequency entry, stacking and so forth.

Love this radio. It’s now in my deployment box and gets exercised at least a dozen times per year.

73,

Kevin N5KRG


Carl KO4SSA
 

Thanks everyone for the input. (had to do my real job for a few days, so will be back to work on it now.)
To be clear on my setup: I’m using DIN 6 for audio, rx and tx, but using CAT for tx rx. not sure if this effects which audio/mics work. I know the speaker mic still has input.
Carl

On Aug 26, 2021, at 1:57 PM, Kevin Grantham <kevin.n5krg@gmail.com> wrote:

No Data mode on the IC7000

Audio on the 13 pin is summed with the two mic inputs so if using that connector you will want to unplug the mic(s)

PTT on the miniDIN6 will mute both mics and the 13 pin and accept audio only from the miniDIN6. It is the better choice when going back and forth between phone and data since you can leave the mic(s) connected.

I say “mic(s)” because I made a short M-F modular adapter with the mic audio cut and used that for the Icom-supplied mic. I used a Heil ICM for the actual mic and used a footswitch with it. That gave me the ability to use the PTT on the ICM for hasty contacts, the footswitch when running a net, and the Icom mic as a handswitch. Plus I retained use of the keys on the Icom mic for direct frequency entry, stacking and so forth.

Love this radio. It’s now in my deployment box and gets exercised at least a dozen times per year.

73,

Kevin N5KRG