No power up

W1JCW

Have a late production 7K and use this mobile in my truck.

Even when I don’t drive this truck often, I fire up the rig often and run it.

Now I hear the relay click inside but there is no power up.

Any ideas?

73-

W1JCW

John

Join my new SteppIR Antennas IO group by sending an email to:

SteppIREngineeringandRepair+subscribe@groups.io

Sounds like the dreaded Click - Click failure where a cap shorts in the control head and drops the CPU that has to communicate with the digital unit in the main unit.
Sometimes this is an easy fix and sometimes not.
First try cleaning the panel connectors (you may be lucky).
There are two regulators in the head that provide the +5 and 3.3 volts for the head processor.
What happens is you get the power up signal to pull in the relay and then the CPU in the main unit has a few seconds to get a serial signal from the head to turn the rest of the radio on. Without this signal from the head the relay drops out.
This is repairable and is sometimes easy and sometimes not.
Often it is a cap in the regulator circuit that has shorted and this does require some troubleshooting and can (as I have learned) relatively easy or (in my one case) impossible).
If you Google IC-7000 click - click you should get a number of hits that will guide you in your endeavors.

W1JCW

Thanks for the good advice everyone and details will check into this and post my findings.

73-

W1JCW

John

Join my new IO group, just send an email to:

[...]

Here is what I found with about 3 hours of TS.

Disassembled Display unit and replaced defective surface mount C501 and C502.

Removed Main unit and replaced defective surface mount R2011.

Very surprised these failed due to age as this was the last release when they were discontinued.

[...]

Max

Is this a know problem or did you find these defective components through your own trouble shooting? Either way, good job on the repair.

Max KG4PID

On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 10:00:19 AM CST, W1JCW <w1jcw@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Murphy

Thanks for posting this. I will file this info in my IC-7000 "what if failure" folder.

Steve
73 DE KC4SM

Jan 5, 2022 7:37:37 AM Max via groups.io <kg4pid@...>:

[...]

Mister Mike

This is a well-known issue with some of the 7Ks.  It is well documented amd a pretty easy fix provided you can work with SMDs. Glad you were able to fix it.

73,

Michael, W1RC

SMD or not it depends very much on if the common easily gotten to part has failed.
There are possibilities that are a little deeper in the circuits and pretty difficult to trace in the front panel.
Been there and done that.
I have fixed all but one that I had and in that case I bought another bad panel and was able to repair that one and sold the one with the recalcitrant panel to another 7Ker that needed the display.
A short will not always be in the regulator circuit!

W1JCW

Found them going through power circuit.