NO CAT Control IC-7000 using Winlink

Steve Toquinto

Hello All,

            I'm looking at putting my IC-7000 online as my Winlink HF Gateway.
There is NO Radio listing in RMS Express for the 7000. I have tried the Icom Amateur Radio's and the Early version as well.
I have the right CI-V# and Baud rate configured. I have turned on/off the RTS/DTR with no luck.
I have installed the FLdigi, FLrig control software and that works just fine.
Anybody out there that is using the IC-7000 and Winlink Express and or the Winlink Tri-Mode software.

                                73 de Steve KB6HOH

Helmut Wabnig

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 03:51:17 -0800, you wrote:

Hello All,

I'm looking at putting my IC-7000 online as my Winlink HF Gateway.
There is NO Radio listing in RMS Express for the 7000. I have tried the Icom Amateur Radio's and the Early version as well.
I have the right CI-V# and Baud rate configured. I have turned on/off the RTS/DTR with no luck.
I have installed the FLdigi, FLrig control software and that works just fine.
Anybody out there that is using the IC-7000 and Winlink Express and or the Winlink Tri-Mode software.

73 de Steve KB6HOH

Winlink requires a "modem", which one do you select?
It is in the "open session" edit field.

w.

I used my IC-7000 a good bit with Winlink, no problem.
Use the ICOM Amateur (not early) setting and the port and baud rate same as WSJT-X would. The audio needs to be the same as well.
If I remember correctly.

Steve Toquinto

OK! It took a Hard Reset of the CPU to get it working.
I tested it with the IC-7100 settings, Icom Amateur Radio's and Icom Amateur Radios (Early)
settings and disabled the RTS and DTR and they all work.

                     Tnx for the Help 73 de Steve KB6HOH

Kevin Grantham

Winlink Express works fine with my IC-7000.

Check the Icom, not the early models. The frequency format is different.
Make sure the CI-V address is the same in the radio and in the Winlink setup - by the way, which mode are you using? You have to set it up for each of the HF modes you will use - ARDOP, VARA, etc.
Note that Winlink will not set the frequency for Packet or VARA FM modes.
You checked the baud rate - good.
The DTR/RTS setting is only important for some USB to CI-V adapters. Which adapter are you using?
Some CI-V adapters use old Prolific drivers and will not work with newer versions of Windows - you have to find the old driver and load it manually.
I don’t remember if “TRANCEIVE ON” has to be set in the IC-7000 for Winlink. It’s required for HRD so I have it on.

With those settings when you open a session in, say, ARDOP, and then select a station from the updated station list, the radio should switch to that frequency.

If that’s working, then make sure that PTT is set to use the CI-V method, not a aerial port. If that’s set up right then the radio should go into and out of transmit when you START the session.

The last step is to get the audio connected, if you haven’t already.

Good luck!

Kevin N5KRG