Topics

New users to the IC7000

Vagn H. Jeppesen

Hi Paul,
I am new on this group so need littel guide.
thank you for your inputs. could you supply with some links to how to make these mods.
Where to find instructions how to do these mods, where do I find the files section.
73 Van OZ3DX

Den fre. 15. maj 2020 kl. 13.39 skrev Paul <pg321@...>:

I'm only putting this up so as it's fairly recent , a lot (maybe) of new users of the IC7000 can start here without going through all the many pages of excellent information in the group , thanks to those btw .

If a new user has just recently acquired a unmodified radio i can seriously say that you have to do the listed below if you want any future longevity out of it , this radio is getting old already too  , below are the common fixerupperers .

1 - Do the Fan mod , i did the simple one (100 ohm resistor) as i do that with all my radios , stock gets really toasty just receiving , i can't imagine it on a summer day 40c+ , it's winter here atm , from hot to the touch to cool to the touch (the case) , TX'ing stinking hot to mildly warm (winter here atm) .

2 - Do the heat sink compound one over the temp sensor to chassis , there is another temp sensor further in on the pcb which will also keep a eye on the pcb/final area temperature .
3 - Do the Foam addition over the TXCO , its also easy and will help stability up on 70cm or even across the whole spectrum of the radio .

4 - Align the mic element to the hole , loosely fill tiny hole with small bit of cotton (from end of cotton bud) , stops that pop/fluffy sound .

5 - Check those fuse holders!

Most of these are in the files section , also that capacitor near the audio amp does get warm , i'll maybe have a look at it one day , that reminds me , the audio amp is clipped on at the rear heat-sink , no thermal paste on it ! , slap some in , this radio just recently acquired was standard and toasty and poppy and probably drifty SSB 70cm .

73 Paul , and thanks to the whole group .

--
vy 73  OZ3DX  (Van)
Vagn H. Jeppesen

Helmut Wabnig

On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:20:46 +0200, you wrote:

Hi Paul,
I am new on this group so need littel guide.
thank you for your inputs. could you supply with some links to how to make
these mods.
Where to find instructions how to do these mods, where do I find the files
section.
73 Van OZ3DX

Den fre. 15. maj 2020 kl. 13.39 skrev Paul <pg321@...>:

https://groups.io/g/ic7000/files

You must be logged in to groups.io,
cannot see the files via a mail reader.

OE8UWW

Helmut Wabnig

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 22:14:52 -0700, you wrote:

As one can tell by the dates i'm in no rush .

I have not been happy with the 100 Ohm resistor fan mod , imo its too fast (the fan speed) and it was getting a annoying noise when all was quite  , so i slowed it down and now i'm more content with it .

Also somewhere i posted about a small fan controller , it turned up and even thought it is small/even tiny there is no room inside the radio to fit it , so i did not . 73

Plenty of space for a 450 Ohm potentiometer at the back of the 7000.
Can adjust the poti from outside through the cooler ribs.
https://www.rufenach24.de/artikel_Potentiometer-Trimmpoti_Cermet_19mm_Vishay_T18-CermetTrimmpotentiometer_19_mm_1K0-2680.html

Fix it with superglue.

OE8UWW