New to the group and experiencing a problem

Terry Y

I just subscribed to the group this evening; my name is Terry Young, call sign n0ve

I'm looking for help with a problem.  I've had my IC-7000 since 2011 and an AH-4 since 2012.  For about the past three and half years the 7000 has been used once or twice a year for UHF/VHF only and the AH-4 hasn't been used.  About a week ago I reinstalled the 7000 & over the past couple of days I reinstalled the AH-4 along with a new Chameleon EMCOMM II.  The EMCOMM II is a 60 foot wire antenna that covers 6M to 160 M, the manufacturer recommends a 50 to 55 foot counterpoise, and an external tuner is required.  I installed a 58 foot counterpoise figuring I would put an analyzer on it and trim it back until I got an acceptable SWR reading.

Since reinstalling the 7000 I have participated in a couple of UHF/VHF nets with no problems; the most recent net being last Sunday evening.

When I finished installing the antenna this morning I connected an antenna analyzer though the AH-4 with unsuccessful results.  On 7.240 MHz I got back a reading of infinate SWR.  So, dialed in the High Noon Net (7.240 MHz) and just listening worked fine.  I turned on the tuner - no problems.  When I pressed the push-to-talk button/lever the radio shut off and immediately restarted.  I turned the power down to 75% and again, when I pressed push-to-talk same results.  I disconnected the HF antenna and the tuner cable and tried a UHF frequency (70cm) with the same results.  Before anyone asks, befoe I proceeded with the antenna installation I verifyed the AH-4 us compatible with a long-wire antenna and after the problem I did verify I have the UHF/VHF plugged into Ant-2 and the HF antenna plugged into Ant-1.

Will an antenna analyzer not work going though the AH-4?  Has anyone experienced this problem?  What did you find the solution to be?  Or, any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Terry, n0ve

Dennis Klipa

Terry,

I am by no means an expert and I am sure you will get lots of help from others with this but it sounds like you have two problems.

The shutting down on transmit sounds like the power supply voltage at the input to the radio drops below 11 V when you transmit and increase the current draw.  Similar cases have been traced back to poor contacts in the fuse/fuse holder assemblies, both the internal fuse and any inline fuses.  A high SWR should not cause the radio to shut down, but the output power would be reduced to near zero.

The second issue, the analyzer not working through the tuner, is a bit tougher.  I can only offer one observation.  Just because an antenna works well on receive does not necessarily mean it will work on transmit.  For example, if I have my 160 meter dipole hooked directly to my HF rig and try to listen on 20 meters, the SWR is terrible and the  signal levels are low.  BUT, if I unscrew the PL259 at the back of the rig and pull the connector out just a smidge so that the shield connection is opened but the center pin is connected, the signals levels jump right up.  I can receive great, but it doesn't transmit worth a darn.  I now have a long wire connected to the radio, not a transmission line.  So you may have a bad coax connection on the shield side somewhere.  This would cause the problems you are seeing.  On the other hand, it may well be a completely different issue.

Good luck and best regards,
Dennis, N8ERF

--
Best Regards,
Dennis Klipa

Marnus Meyer ZS6MM

Hi Terry,

With regards to the radio shutting down on attempted Tx, - have you checked your power and fuse connections? Sounds to me like a undervoltage shut-down of the radio.

Regards,
Marnus ZS6MM

Prabhu

Dear Terry,
I am almost sure that there is issue between power supply and to the rig,
1.since rig is kept idle for some days the DC connector may develop oxides,
2.clean the connector well both the female and male parts,
3.make a ptt press at low power while pressing firmly male DC connector to female part, if the radio passes TX then here only loose contact,
Nothing to worry about the radio.. This happened to me many times, after taking the radio for field trip from long sleep,

Give your feed back here, have a safe and nice day!

Regards

Prabhu
Vu2cck

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 2:49 PM Terry Y <tkyoung2009@...> wrote:
[...]

Ronald Baran

Hello Terry,

I'm not quite sure how the ECOMM II functions but there seems to be some sort of loading coil in the cylindrical part of the antenna.  Am I to understand that you are using both the EMCOMM AND the AH-4 at the same time?

". . . with the same results . . . " means that keying the radio on the UHF frequency resulted in the radio shutting down?

We'll go with the most obvious first; I had the same problem recently and have had it while bicycle mobile and it has to do with power to the radio.  When bicycle mobile and the battery dropped below 11.1V the radio shut down upon keying.  Most lately I found the problem was the power connections.  I took all the connections apart, cleaned them and reattached and voila'.  Take a crack at that first.

If no joy try using either the EMCOMM or the AH-4 alone and see what happens.

Keep us posted.

73

Ron
W9XS

[...]

I don't think that the AH-4 maintains the settings it determined when the tune button was pushed and the tune was made if the power is cycled. Did you push the tune and did the radio send the 10 watts out to the tuner and the tuner tune?
If not perhaps there is a wiring problem between the radio and the AH-4.
The radio still should not shut off (power wise) it the tune did not work, it would flash the tine "light" if it failed to tune.
You cannot check the SWR through the AH-4 as far as I remember unless you tuned the rig and AH-4, removed the antenna connection while keeping power on the radio (so that power is still on the tuner) and then connected the analyzer to check the currently tuned state. Of course the IC-7000 will give you a reading as well as it tunes, if that is selected.

Ronald Baran

Any success, Terry?

Ron
W9XS

[...]

Howard Jones

Hi Terry strongly recommend you carry out initial measurements into a dummy load. First radio direct to load, then via Ah4. Also check your do fuses for voltage drop, very common problem wit 7000.good luck.

On Fri., 24 Apr. 2020, 09:20 Ronald Baran, <ronbaran@...> wrote:
Any success, Terry?

Ron
W9XS

[...]

Tap,tap,tap...Terry??
Terry there is no trimming the counterpoise for SWR as the tuner will mask anything that you do up to the point that it is outside of it's range to correct.
The AH-4 would replace the coil in the ENCOMM if you wanted as all it would need is the wire and a good ground at the antenna and to improve the ground losses a counterpoise or radials connected there.
However, since we haven't heard back from you we wonder if anything has worked?
Trying the IC-7000 into a dummy load is a very good idea as is checking the fuse connectors as many have had problems there.
The VHF/UHF have completely separate finals, both driven by the same driver transistor.
Tap, tap, tap,....You there, Terry???

Steve Murphy

Hi Terry,

This sounds like the classic IC-7000 low voltage reset problem. High SWR can make the situation worse.

I eliminated the lousy glass fuse holders used on the OEM power cord replacing them with Bussman/ Littlefuse ATC in line holders. I have not had a reset since. I had a low power issue with one of my HF rigs a couple of years ago. Again, the cheap glass fuse holders were dropping nearly half a volt each!

In fact, the fuse holder swap is the first thing I do when I get a new radio.

Good luck solving your problem.

Steve
73 DE KD6NQA

On April 23, 2020 12:50:30 AM EDT, Terry Y <tkyoung2009@...> wrote:
[...]

Sent from my Android device.

Terry Y

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply; you were spot on.  The power off/power on cycle was due to a poor DC connection.  What threw me was that the 7000 worked during two nets.  I replace the power connectors with Anderson Powerpole connectors and fuses.  Turns out the power problem was oxidation on the Powerpole connectors, which I disconnected and reconnected several times after which the problem went away.

I'm still working on the analyzer problem.  The SWR reading are in the 3.0:1 range on all bands when I connected directly to the antenna.  So I'm still looking for information about the effect on any effort to analyze the SWR through the AH-4.

Thanks again,
Terry, n0ve

Terry Y

Hi Marnus,

Thanks for the reply.  The power off/power on cycle was due to a poor DC connection.  What threw me was that the 7000 worked during two nets.  I replace the power connectors with Anderson Powerpole connectors and fuses.  Turns out the power problem was oxidation on the Powerpole connectors, which I disconnected and reconnected several times after which the problem went away.

Thanks again,
Terry, n0ve

Terry Y

Hi Prabhu,

Thanks for the reply.  The power off/power on cycle was due to a poor DC connection.  What threw me was that the 7000 worked during two nets and all I did was plug it back into power with no problems.  The first thing I do with new eqipment is replace the power connectors with Anderson Powerpole connectors and fuses.  Turns out the power problem was oxidation on the Powerpole connectors, which I disconnected and reconnected several times after which the problem went away.

Thanks again,
Terry, n0ve

Terry, the AH-4 will maintain it's settings after tuning as long as the power is kept on. If you tune pressing the tune button on the IC-7000 and then disconnect the PL-259 on the IC-7000 and connect your analyzer you should be able to check the SWR at that frequency.
The AH-4 should give you a better SWR than 3:1 unless you happen to have a length of wire that is 1/2 wave on the frequency you want or the AH-4 is not working correctly.
Do you have a ground at the AH-4? What is the length of the wire?
The antenna should tune OK on every band if it is 43' or longer, except if it is 1/2 wave resonant.
Are you getting the red tune light on the panel, indicating that the tuner has properly tuned the antenna?

JD
KE4MD

Terry Y

Hi Ron,

Yes, there is a loading coil on the EMCOMM II.  Yes, I am using the EMCOMM II and the AH-4 together (at the same time).  And, yes, you got it correct, after transmitting resulted in the power cycle, I disconnected the HF antenna and AH-4 and tried to transmit on UHF, which resulted in the same power off and immediate power back on cycle.

You are correct, the problem was an oxidized connection on the Anderson Powerpole connectors in the power cable.  By disconnecting and reconnecting them several times, the power problem was resolved.

I'm still researching the analyzer and AH-4 problem.

Thanks again,
Terry, n0ve

Terry Y

Hi J.D.,

In my experience, you are correct about the AH-4 or the 7000 not maintaining the tuned settings once the 7000 is powered off and the AH-4 gets its power from the 7000 so it powers off as well,

The power problem was an oxidized power connection.  I use Anderson Powerpole connectors on all my equipment for universal connectivity and when I initially reconnected the 7000 after sitting effectively idle for over three years, it worked on two nets.  Then I connected the HF side and the power problems started so I didn't immediately think it was a power problem.

I'm still working/researching the tuner/analyzer issue.

Thanks for your response,
Terry, n0ve

Terry Y

Ron,

Yes, I was looking at the individual responses and working the problem.  I have resolved the power issue and I'm still working the tuner issue.

Thanks,
Terry, n0ve

Terry Y

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the suggestion about going into a dummy load.  The fuses are good and I think you are on the right track that the power problem was a voltage drop.  I re-seated the power connection a couple of times and that resolved the power cycle problem.

Thanks,

Terry, n0ve

What I intended to say was now that your radio is working tune the antenna using the tune button on the IC-7000 and then disconnect the IC-7000 and hook up the analyzer and see what it says. As long as you don't power down the AH-4 will maintain the tune your radio is seeing. Do not disconnect the 4 pin connector on the radio.
If you don't have power on the AH-4 it should directly connect the input to the output without tuning.
It is possible that the SWR reading on the IC-7000 is incorrect as it uses the power direction within to derive it in the CPU.
The tune should be correct for the transmitted signal and of course higher for other frequencies.
Glad you found your power problem. At 3:1 the IC-7000 should fold back the power to protect the final transistors.

N3EA

Terry,

Been following this thread. I have a '7000 in my car and have noticed that on HF the power output is down to around 80 watts. It used to be 100 watts. Can you tell me which power connection
you had to clean to fix the oxidation problem? I do not use Power Poles. The power cable from the rig goes directly to the vehicle battery but there are fuses in the line.

Tnx & 73,

Al, N3EA