Need help determining whether has a fault - S meter

k0job

My apologies in advance for a noob question - I don't have access to an elmer.

I have been away from my 7000 for a while and am relearning it.  I recall with my current setup (MFJ-939 tuner and Cushcraft R9 vertical) that the S meter would show a noise floor and signals would show a db increase.

Fast forward about 18 months and there is no movement on the S meter.  At all.  I can tune someone who is running 1kw and the S meter doesnt even move.  Using the RF/SQL knob does appear to raise the squelch limit but good signals don't impact the S meter reading.  Is there a setting that is making the S meter operate differently than I am expecting it to?

Chuck Scott <cscott@...>

K0JOB:

First thing to check is if the screen has "ATT" just above the S-Meter on the left. If it does, that means that the attenuator is on which would considerably reduce the signal levels. To turn that off, press the "P.AMP" button (note ATT at the bottom of that button). That button normally turns the preamp on and off but if you hold it for a second it will turn the ATT on. If the ATT is on, a quick press will clear that.

The S-Meter should deflect if you turn the RF/Squelch knob fully counter clockwise. If not, it might just be a good time to try doing a full reset of the radio to clear any settings that might be causing a problem. The procedure for that should be in the docs, but I don't remember it right away.

It's also possible that there's a problem with the radio. Has it ever been near a lightning strike or was it used in a mobile installation for some period of time?

Chuck - N8DNX

--
Charles Scott, President
Gaslight Media

E-Mail: cscott@...
Office: 231-487-0692

k0job

N8DNX - thanks for the reply

I don't have the ATT (attenuator) set on.  I have tried activating the preamp and while it does increase the signal stength the s meter readout is constant.

I've made a page with a couple of videos to better illustrate the s meter's behavior.

http://www.k0job.com/vid/ic7000smeter.html

Thanks to all,
Chris
k0job

Chuck Scott <cscott@...>

Chris:

The behavior you see with the S-Meter when you turn the RF/Squelch way down is normal. The default position is at 12 O'Clock. That all seems to be right and it clearly is affecting the signal level, as it should. So, it really sounds and looks like it's not getting much signal.

What I suggest you do just to do a quick sanity check of your coax connection is to unscrew the shell of the coax connector plugged into the HF connection on the back of the radio and pull the connector back just a bit so the center conductor is still in there a bit but the shield is not touching. (HF is the connector to the far right when looking at the radio from the back.) When you do this, do you get more received signal? If so, you need to look at your cables, connectors, antenna, and anything else in that path.

If you have another antenna, try that as well.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, there may very well be a problem with the radio. Do you know if there's someone in your area that has a good signal generator that can put out a known level? that would tell you right away.

Chuck - N8DNX

On 4/17/2020 4:07 PM, k0job wrote:
N8DNX - thanks for the reply

I don't have the ATT (attenuator) set on.  I have tried activating the preamp and while it does increase the signal stength the s meter readout is constant.

I've made a page with a couple of videos to better illustrate the s meter's behavior.

http://www.k0job.com/vid/ic7000smeter.html

Thanks to all,
Chris
k0job
_._,_._,_

Paul Levasseur

Two things: I know that this is basic, but do you have an antenna hooked up. And you are using an external tuner so if you pressed the tuner button and the and the tuner tuned the antenna the red tuner light should be on. Just a few thoughts.

Paul

KC8ZFL

I don't have the ATT (attenuator) set on.  I have tried activating the preamp and while it does increase the signal stength the s meter readout is constant.

I've made a page with a couple of videos to better illustrate the s meter's behavior.

http://www.k0job.com/vid/ic7000smeter.html

Thanks to all,
Chris
k0job

Geoff

Are you centering the  RF/SQ knob at the 12 o'clock position as its a RF attenuater when turned CCW from its centre position?

As a check of the tuner, try removing the tuner altogether and  connect the antenna, turn on the preamp and see if you can Rx a signal. Do the same with the antenna if you have another one you can try as a check of your R9. Can you Rx any local or distant AM broadcast stations? Does it Rx on VHF/UHF as the Rx path is common from the first local oscillator.

Cheers
Geoff Williams

On Sat, 18 Apr. 2020, 03:11 k0job, <k0job.radio@...> wrote:
My apologies in advance for a noob question - I don't have access to an elmer.

I have been away from my 7000 for a while and am relearning it.  I recall with my current setup (MFJ-939 tuner and Cushcraft R9 vertical) that the S meter would show a noise floor and signals would show a db increase.

Fast forward about 18 months and there is no movement on the S meter.  At all.  I can tune someone who is running 1kw and the S meter doesnt even move.  Using the RF/SQL knob does appear to raise the squelch limit but good signals don't impact the S meter reading.  Is there a setting that is making the S meter operate differently than I am expecting it to?

Geoff

Sorry, my silly tablet doesn't show all the replies initially, many other have already covered much of what I wrote.

Geoff
VK3ZGW.

On Sat, 18 Apr. 2020, 03:11 k0job, <k0job.radio@...> wrote:
My apologies in advance for a noob question - I don't have access to an elmer.

I have been away from my 7000 for a while and am relearning it.  I recall with my current setup (MFJ-939 tuner and Cushcraft R9 vertical) that the S meter would show a noise floor and signals would show a db increase.

Fast forward about 18 months and there is no movement on the S meter.  At all.  I can tune someone who is running 1kw and the S meter doesnt even move.  Using the RF/SQL knob does appear to raise the squelch limit but good signals don't impact the S meter reading.  Is there a setting that is making the S meter operate differently than I am expecting it to?

k0job

Hi Chuck - thanks for the comeback.  I have been working through the weekend and this was the first chance I've had to do some additional eval.

I did unscrew the HF antenna connector shield and pulled it off.  Maybe I noticed that the noise level went up but it was hard to tell.  I don't think my received signals were any better though and that was on my R9 vertical.  The s-meter was still not moving.  I switched to a random wire antenna which is my backup and the received signal strength per my uncalibrated ear did seem less and again the s meter was not moving and had the same base level as the R9 vertical.

There is a ham group in the area but I doubt there are meetings until this virus thing is back on the way down.

k0job

Hi Paul - thanks for the reply.  I do have an MFJ-939 hooked to the R9 vertical.  When I hit the Tuner button I hear the relays flapping in the external tuner and the Tune light comes on.  I just messed with the two antennas that I have available and I sure the connectors are tight.

k0job

Hi Chuck - thanks for the comeback.  I have been working through the weekend and this was the first chance I've had to do some additional eval.

I did unscrew the HF antenna connector shield and pulled it off.  Maybe I noticed that the noise level went up but it was hard to tell.  I don't think my received signals were any better though and that was on my R9 vertical.  The s-meter was still not moving.  I switched to a random wire antenna which is my backup and the received signal strength per my uncalibrated ear did seem less and again the s meter was not moving and had the same base level as the R9 vertical.

There is a ham group in the area but I doubt there are meetings until this virus thing is back on the way down.

k0job

Hi Geoff - thanks for giving me some of your attention.  I do have the RF/SQ knob at the 12 o'clock position.  When it's there, the s meter doesn't register even a single bar on the graph.  That behavior is despite whether there is a signal or just background noise.  I did try switching to vhf/uhf.  Receive seems ok with the local repeaters but again the s meter doesnt move as the repeaters cycle.

Chuck Scott <cscott@...>

Hi:

I'm beginning to think there's a problem with RX in the radio. It would sure be nice to know that for sure before sending the radio in for repair. The only way to make sure is to know for sure that the antenna, transmission line, and any connections and equipment in that path are good. I suppose another way to know for sure short of someone offering to stop by with a good signal generator, is to see if another receiver actually gets good signal from the antenna if you have something else you can test with.

Good luck with it.

Chuck - N8DNX

On 4/21/2020 8:28 PM, k0job wrote:
Hi Chuck - thanks for the comeback.  I have been working through the weekend and this was the first chance I've had to do some additional eval.

I did unscrew the HF antenna connector shield and pulled it off.  Maybe I noticed that the noise level went up but it was hard to tell.  I don't think my received signals were any better though and that was on my R9 vertical.  The s-meter was still not moving.  I switched to a random wire antenna which is my backup and the received signal strength per my uncalibrated ear did seem less and again the s meter was not moving and had the same base level as the R9 vertical.

There is a ham group in the area but I doubt there are meetings until this virus thing is back on the way down.
_

Jim T

Just picked up on this thread so, apologies if my suggestion is a bit late or already covered.

I had a problem with S meter readings a few weeks ago when I started using the 7k after a long period of it lying idle.  There were no S meter readings at all, and I spent a while trying to chase the “fault”.  It turned out that I’d turned off the AGC at some point and by switching it back on to fast (in my case) the S meter started to give readings that were sensible.

Have look to see if, just under the frequency readout there’s an “AGC-X” or some other AGC indication.  If it shows AGC-X then you have it turned off.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jim GM4CXF

If I remember correctly the AGC voltage goes directly to the CUP as does the ALC and most other derived signals and the CPU handles the various drivers and displays. The AGC could be turned off in logic or there could be a problem in the circuits in the receiver. I have not looked at the schematic yet, but that would be the next thing to do after cycling through the AGC settings and seeing it they make an differences.

--
J.D. Barron