low power out on HF

Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...>

Only getting about 25 watts out or so on HF, VHF/UHF is fine, full power.....Its NOT the power cord, I've tried a couple different ones, same result, and those cords work fine with my 7300, I had a problem with the 7000 before, actually no power out on HF and SARS in Michigan, replaced maybe the driver transistor, is it common for this part to go bad? Any thing to watch out for to prevent it from happening in the future.

Ludovic Ludo

replaced maybe the driver transistor, is it common for this part to go bad ?
Any thing to watch out for to prevent it from happening in the future

This is not the driver in question, it is common to HF and V / UHF.
To prevent this failure, do not use more than 30W in FM or numerical mode (FT8, etc)
like all the 100W tranceivers.

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.
http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/f36-ic-7000

Helmut Wabnig

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 08:34:23 +0100, you wrote:

replaced maybe the driver transistor, is it common for this part to
go bad ?
Any thing to watch out for to prevent it from happening in the future
This is not the driver in question, it is common to HF and V / UHF.
To prevent this failure, do not use more than 30W in FM or numerical
mode (FT8, etc)
like all the 100W tranceivers.

Best regards,
Ludovic - F5PBG.
http://radioamateur.forumsactifs.com/f36-ic-7000

With the appropriate care, the 7000 is capable of working 100% power,
that is, 100 watts on HF , 50 w on VHF and 30 w on UHF,
in FT8 with its (the FT8) 50% duty cycle.
All those "don'ts" and "do nots" are based on unsufficient technical
knowledge.

As for the original poster's complaint, his 7000 does not deliver the
rated capacity power, yes, there is perhaps a hardware problem
and you will possibly have to replace the driver and/or the finals.
I cannot remotely diagnose the fault. Must have my hands on :-)

Sorry for being nasty, but those "don't do this" pull my nerves.

OE8UWW

DH1KLM

The IC7000 is known to develop issues with the driver and the finals also. Even in this group there are several posts about this topic. Otherwise Google is your friend.

Paul Hansen

25 watts kind of indicates one of the PA transistors has failed. Measure the gate voltage in TX. It should be anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5 volts. It should also be zero in RX.

Thank You

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road