Topics

IC-7000 VFO Stability

Randy

Is the IC-7000 stable enough for FT8 use on 50, 144, and 432 MHz?

Randy, W7HR

Mark Schoonover

Try it out let us know the results.

73! Mark KA6WKE

Website: https://www.ka6wke.net

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019, 11:10 Randy <hamradio@...> wrote:
Is the IC-7000 stable enough for FT8 use on 50, 144, and 432 MHz?

Randy, W7HR

Kurt Sweeny

Randy,

Interesting question. Look forward to hearing your testing scheme and results.

Will you look at frequency drift? What tolerance is acceptable? What will you use as instrumentation to measure frequency?

Good Luck
Kurt
KD6LZV

Helmut Wabnig <hwabnig@...>

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:10:48 -0700, you wrote:

Is the IC-7000 stable enough for FT8 use on 50, 144, and 432 MHz?

Randy, W7HR

Yes.
OE8UWW

nj2f

I can verify that the 7000 works FT8 on 50 really well. I made over 600 qsos on 50 in the last two years. Very stable radio.

73 de NJ2f, Jeff

On Sep 25, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Randy <hamradio@...> wrote:

Is the IC-7000 stable enough for FT8 use on 50, 144, and 432 MHz?

Randy, W7HR

Joe

When you say frequency stability, do you mean the ability to transmit on an exact frequency? If that is the case, FT8 should work very well even if your VFO is a little bit off frequency. As long as you are in the band-pass of the receiver all should work fine. What is more important is that you have a very clean signal and not over driven.

Joe

On 9/25/2019 2:44 PM, nj2f wrote:
I can verify that the 7000 works FT8 on 50 really well. I made over 600 qsos on 50 in the last two years. Very stable radio.

73 de NJ2f, Jeff

On Sep 25, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Randy <hamradio@...> wrote:

Is the IC-7000 stable enough for FT8 use on 50, 144, and 432 MHz?

Randy, W7HR

Bill Turner

Yes, I have done FT modes on 6m including Meteor Scatter contacts. de W4WNT

Robert Hanson

Works great
I have hundreds of contacts, DXCC (not all confirmed yet), and WAS, on the 7000
I like having the temp indicator.
I did do a fan mod to better couple the sensor to the heatsink.