IC 7000 to SdrPlay

George Masterson

I have a Dow Key T/R relay that I want to key on transmit
I already have two interfaces one needs 12v on transmit to activate the other needs a N/O to a common (I supply 12v) when transmit both activate a small relay that activates the Dow Key. This system works on other radios have.

On transmit were can a find 12v or a N/O contact that closes on transmit

Thank you

George KF5NAJ

Steve W3AHL

See the User Manual, page 12.  The ACC connector, pin 3, HSEND is pulled low to ground on HF TX.  Maximum current sinked is 200 ma. so verify what your relay draws first.

Changing Setmode menu item 20 VSEND SELECT to OFF causes  to go low for HF/VHF/UHF TX.  See page 131.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <kf5naj@...> wrote :

I have a Dow Key T/R relay that I want to key on transmit
I already have two interfaces one needs 12v on transmit to activate the other needs a N/O to a common (I supply 12v) when transmit both activate a small relay that activates the Dow Key. This system works on other radios have.

On transmit were can a find 12v or a N/O contact that closes on transmit

Thank you

George KF5NAJ

George Masterson

I'm using a small 12v relay to activate the larger Dow-Key
I assume it changes #3 pin and another pin ? to a N/O and common pair of contacts that closes on transmit
Please confirm that I supply the 12v to activate the small relay
What is the pin#  for the other side of the relay coil
Thank you

Steve W3AHL

Pin 3 of ACC is switched to ground when transmitting. You can provide 12 volts DC to the coil from pin 8 of the ACC port or from an external source.

It is important that the relay coil has a flyback or clamping diode across the coil to reduce the voltage spike when the relay coil is deenergized, as shown at the bottom of page 21 of the User Manual.  The diode's cathode (bar) should be connected to the +12 volt side of the the relay coil and the anode to the other side of the coil.

Some relays have this diode built in, many require an external diode.  Without the diode, the 7K's transistor that switches pin 3 will be damaged eventually when the relay is deenergized due to the counter EMF of the coil's inductance.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <kf5naj@...> wrote :

I'm using a small 12v relay to activate the larger Dow-Key
I assume it changes #3 pin and another pin ? to a N/O and common pair of contacts that closes on transmit
Please confirm that I supply the 12v to activate the small relay
What is the pin#  for the other side of the relay coil
Thank you

George Masterson

Thank you for taking the time, I believe I got it

George
KF5NAJ