[IC-7000] The IC-7000 and PC Gaming Earphoneas with Mic

D C *Mac* Macdonald

Is this not the subject of the article in November QST (arrived yesterday)?

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Ret (61-81)

From: ic7000@... <ic7000@...> on behalf of i2jjr@... [ic7000]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 09:35
To: ic7000@...
Subject: [IC-7000] The IC-7000 and PC Gaming Earphoneas with Mic

GM dr OMs, I have searched the Group but was not able to find an answer to the questions:
Has somebody here ever used a PC Gaming Headphones Microphone with the IC-7000 ?
Did somebody use an Audio Bluetooth Interface (RX and TX) with the IC-7000 ?

I have a PC Gaming Headphone with Mic, really a good one very comfortable, and would like to use it on /P in order to have hands free. I would use Footswitch PTT or Vox.
I used the headphones to ear, and they're very good.
Did not connect the Mic yet, as I saw an Intetface for such kind of boom headsets published by G8JNJ in 2009,  but in that circuit it used an electret Microphone.
I am not sure what kind of mike my headphone uses, I guess it is a dinamic microphone, not an electret one. Sorrily I did not get a valid answer from the seller about the mic type.
Any Idea about how to use a dinamic mike with the IC-7000 ? I guess that insulation is necessary, so I may add capacitors in the interface, say 0.2 uF and eventually test a value in the range 1uF to 0.1uF until I find a right value.

Another issue of the same question: I also have Bluetooth remote headphones with mike; I would like to use it.
An Interface by Frank K7SFN, published years ago, uses a Jabra A-210 Bluetooth TRX Interface: nowadays it's out of production and not to find anymore.
I tried to find a similar device, but the only one was not very cheap (not at all!) and anyway it required hand TX-RX switching! Other very cheap available as Audio / PC accessories, but hand switching and/or RX or TX only, switchable; but not Full-Duplex as it should be. Something like the USB devices that I use for Skype, really full duplex, seems not to exist as an audio in/out interface.
Thus, the questions: Who knows a suitable device type? Info on Brand and Type, and how to order required, please.
Then, 2nd question: How interface the audio Out from this to the IC-7000 ? Somebody has some experience on this matter to share with us ?

Many many thanks! 73 de Augusto I2JJR / HB9TZA

Augusto

HI !
Comic, does it not?� I did not know it.
I do not receive QST here, so I cannot read it.
Somebody may let me have an abstract of it, please?
Is it really answering my questions?
You may answer me , if you like it, also directly at "� hb9tza@...� " email.
Thanks Mac K2GGK/5 , 73 de Augusto I2JJR / HB9TZA
�

Il 30/10/2017 16:58, D C _Mac_ Macdonald k2gkk@... [ic7000] ha scritto:

�
73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Ret (61-81)

�

GM dr OMs, I have searched the Group but was not able to find an answer to the questions:
Has somebody here ever used a PC Gaming Headphones Microphone with the IC-7000 ?

I have a PC Gaming Headphone with Mic, really a good one very comfortable, and would like to use it on /P in order to have hands free. I would use Footswitch PTT or Vox.
Did not connect the Mic yet, as I saw an Intetface for such kind of boom headsets published by G8JNJ in 2009,� but in that circuit it used an electret Microphone.
I am not sure what kind of mike my headphone uses, I guess it is a dinamic microphone, not an electret one. Sorrily I did not get a valid answer from the seller about the mic type.
Any Idea about how to use a dinamic mike with the IC-7000 ? I guess that insulation is necessary, so I may add capacitors in the interface, say 0.2 uF and eventually test a value in the range 1uF to 0.1uF until I find a right value.

Another issue of the same question: I also have Bluetooth remote headphones with mike; I would like to use it.
An Interface by Frank K7SFN, published years ago, uses a Jabra A-210 Bluetooth TRX Interface: nowadays it's out of production and not to find anymore.
I tried to find a similar device, but the only one was not very cheap (not at all!) and anyway it required hand TX-RX switching! Other very cheap available as Audio / PC accessories, but hand switching and/or RX or TX only, switchable; but not Full-Duplex as it should be. Something like the USB devices that I use for Skype, really full duplex, seems not to exist as an audio in/out interface.
Thus, the questions: Who knows a suitable device type? Info on Brand and Type, and how to order required, please.
Then, 2nd question: How interface the audio Out from this to the IC-7000 ? Somebody has some experience on this matter to share with us ?

D C *Mac* Macdonald

MY GOOF!!!

This was in the September 2017 issue of CQ magazine!  CQ seems to be running behind schedule a bit and I just found this issue today and thought it was the new November QST.

CQ Magazine MIGHT be a bit easier to find/locate/borrow in Italy (I hope)!

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Retired (61-81)
FAA, Retired (94-10)

From: ic7000@... on behalf of 'i2jjr-hotmail.com' i2jjr@... [ic7000]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:34
Subject: Re: [IC-7000] The IC-7000 and PC Gaming Earphoneas with Mic

HI !
Comic, does it not?  I did not know it.
You may answer me , if you like it, also directly at "  hb9tza@...  " email.

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Ret (61-81)

Did not connect the Mic yet, as I saw an Intetface for such kind of boom headsets published by G8JNJ in 2009,  but in that circuit it used an electret Microphone.

Steve W3AHL

Actually there IS an article in November 2017 QST for a Cell Phone Headset Interface for some Icom radios on page 79, but like many QST articles, it has room for improvement, at least if used on an IC-7000.  But without knowing the construction or spec's of the headset being used I won't comment on the needed changes to the QST circuit.

But in general:

1.  The 7K MIC signal on pin 6 of the mic connector has +8 VDC on it.  Most cell phone and PC headsets are designed to use 3 VDC to power the FET in the electret element.  Some will withstand up to 15 volts, some will have more distortion above 5 volts and some will go poof with 8 volts.  

2.  I doubt that your PC gaming headset has a dynamic element -- it is probably an electret.  All PC's that I have used supply 3 VDC to the mic connector to power an electret mic.

3.  The headset mic audio ground should go to pin 5 of the RJ-45 mic connector, which is the audio return line (not pin 7, which is logic ground).

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <k2gkk@...> wrote :

MY GOOF!!!

This was in the September 2017 issue of CQ magazine!  CQ seems to be running behind schedule a bit and I just found this issue today and thought it was the new November QST.

CQ Magazine MIGHT be a bit easier to find/locate/borrow in Italy (I hope)!

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Retired (61-81)
FAA, Retired (94-10)

From: ic7000@... <ic7000@...> on behalf of 'i2jjr-hotmail.com' i2jjr@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:34
Subject: Re: [IC-7000] The IC-7000 and PC Gaming Earphoneas with Mic

HI !
Comic, does it not?  I did not know it.
You may answer me , if you like it, also directly at "  hb9tza@...  " email.

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK
USAF, Ret (61-81)

From: ic7000@... <ic7000@...> on behalf of i2jjr@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...>