Topics

IC-7000 Squelch Issues

Randy Hollingsworth

My IC-7000 was my mobile HF rig for several years and never had any issues. I recently moved it to the shack as a backup rig for HF and to use its VHF/UHF capabilities. In working with it earlier today, the squelch function seems to not be working correctly. The squelch is set to auto. When I tried using it on 2M and 70 cm bands in FM mode, there was no setting of the control that would open the squelch. Further, when I changed back to HF bands, I found that when set to USB or LSB I got the same result, the squelch would not open. However, on CW mode, the squelch behaved normally on all HF bands. I repeated this process with the squelch set to squelch rather than auto and got the same result.

I am hoping that there is simply a setting issue that I am missing and that someone can point out what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any assistance!!

Tom Courtney

Try adjusting the RF gain control this is interactive with the squelch

KD6NQA@...

Perhaps the squelch control has deteriorated due to time, temps, humidity, oxidation, etc... Perhaps a sharp impact to the AF/SQ knob has damaged a circuit trace. If you have a CAT interface cable it would be interesting to know if the squelch will open controlling it remotely via ICOM's RS-BA1 or Ham Radio Deluxe. If it opens remotely then a mechanical failure is the likely culprit. You could try resetting the CPU by holding BOTH band buttons and powering up the rig. This will reset the radio to factory default settings including clearing memories.

Good luck solving your problem,
Steve
KD6NQA

Roger Taylor

On 06/06/2019 18:24, KD6NQA@... wrote:
Perhaps the squelch control has deteriorated due to time, temps, humidity, oxidation, etc... Perhaps a sharp impact to the AF/SQ knob has damaged a circuit trace. If you have a CAT interface cable it would be interesting to know if the squelch will open controlling it remotely via ICOM's RS-BA1 or Ham Radio Deluxe. If it opens remotely then a mechanical failure is the likely culprit. You could try resetting the CPU by holding BOTH band buttons and powering up the rig. This will reset the radio to factory default settings including clearing memories.
Good luck solving your problem,
Steve
KD6NQA
It's not something simple like the tone squelch enabled on FM is it?

73, Roger, G4HZA

va3qb

Make sure your VCS is not enabled. Volume controlled squelch.

Bill
VA3QB

Dan Fisher AI4GK

Is Voice Squelch set, by any chance?

Dan-Scan 1

Dan Fisher, AI4GK

Public Information Officer, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society

Public Information Coordinator, Southern Florida Section, American Radio Relay League

Second Assistant Net Manager, Maritime Mobile Service Network 14.300 MHz

ai4gk@...      321-254-3422

League_diamond_color_low