Topics

[IC-7000] Re: Icom 7000 Remote operation using HRD

Joe

You can use the mike jack and speaker jack to connect the radio to the computer.  You should use some sort of isolation, such as transformers.

I am at the same juncture that you are at setting up a digital station.  I want to try 6 meter JT8 mode digital with my Elecraft K3.

I have two choices that I see for my situation.  The first choice is to buy a cheap $5-10 sound card off of eBay, make up some cables, and roll my own. Then I'm on my own to make it work with little or no support.  I may take this route, but my time constraints and frustration factors come to mind.

The second choice would be to purchase a product like the Tiger Signalink USB sound card and the cable kit for the radio.  This option is the easiest plug-and-play way to get started and provides you reasonable telephone support to get it up and running.  There are probably many ham users out there with the IC-7000--Signalink---HRD setup out there that can also help you.  You say that you have the paid version of HRD so they should be able to help you too.  Lots of support available in this second option.  There may also be some YahooGroups lists that can help.

If you do choose buying something like the Signalink or RigBlaster I suggest that you look at the online reviews first.

73, Joe, K1ike

On 11/13/2017 9:54 PM, va3qb.ve3vwd@... [ic7000] wrote:
Thanks

But how does the audio get from the Rig to the computer ?

73
Bill
VA3QB

Posted by: va3qb.ve3vwd@...

k4pwo@...

The mike and speaker audio I/O are poor choices for digital modes. The mike input is low level making noise and RF sensitivity issues more likely. Most newer rigs (the 7000 included) have audio tailoring equalizers which have to be set to flat response for digital and changed for voice modes, a major pain. The speaker audio is tied to the volume control which means constantly riding the control when you switch bands, modes, digital/voice, etc.

You are much better off using the accessory connector on the back for digital.

You can “roll your own” with an external USB sound device and a simple audio isolation (600 ohm to 600 ohm transformers) circuit. You’ll also need a PTT method supported by your digital software such as the RTS line of a serial port, CAT PTT, or VOX. Hardware PTT via RTS is the best method with CAT second and VOX as the last resort. If your PC doesn’t have a “real” 9-pin serial port you can use a USB to TTL level adapter and an optoisolator like a 4N33 for PTT. I’m in the process of writing up a modification for the Signalink USB to make it hardware PTT instead of VOX that will be posted to my Web site in the next few days. The basic circuit can be used with “DIY” interfaces with no trouble.

Perry K4PWO

On 11/13/2017 9:54 PM, va3qb.ve3vwd@gmail.com <mailto:va3qb.ve3vwd@gmail.com> [ic7000] wrote:

Thanks

But how does the audio get from the Rig to the computer ?

73

Bill

VA3QB

_____

Posted by: va3qb.ve3vwd@gmail.com <mailto:va3qb.ve3vwd@gmail.com>

_____

Mark Brueggemann

From: "k4pwo@comcast.net [ic7000]"

I’m in the process of writing up a modification for the Signalink USB
to make it hardware PTT instead of VOX
This caught my attention, will be looking to see what you've come up with. I've got a couple of these things I use and while I find that their implementation of VOX is workable it's curious why they didn't come up with a better way.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Steve W3AHL

The DATA port is a better choice than the ACC port.  It uses a higher audio level than ACC, making it less susceptible to RFI.  More important though is the ACC port audio is mixed with any MIC audio if the MIC is plugged in (even if its PTT is not active), which can degrade the digital signal with ambient room noise.

If the ACC port is used, I suggest putting a 68K resistor in series with the audio input. The resistor should be mounted inside the DIN-13 shell at the 7K, right at the connector pin.  This increases the audio input level  required to about 700mv., reducing the effect of RFI on the cable.  This doesn't fix the problem with MIC audio being mixed in though.

Of course Type 31 ferrite chokes should still be used on both ends of the interconnecting cables to further reduce RFI.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <k4pwo@...> wrote :

[...]

..snip..

Steve Coats

How do you get the vox on a ic7000 to work when using the acc input.  The only way I can get the radio to transmit is by pushing the ptt switch.
Thanks
Steve
KN4GVV

The accy input on the back will not send audio to the transmitter unless the accy ptt is low. It also keeps the mike in the rear jack from sending audio to the transmitter during digital transmissions that are enabled by the accy PTT.
If you want to use the VOX in the IC7000 you would have to use the 8 pin mod jack on the rear that the mike normally plugs into.
Basically if you use the 6 pin jack for digital you need to derive the PTT to enable the transmit with audio outside of the radio in the sound card or TNC.
I have been working on this to get the PTT from a vox built into the Digi-Easy instead of the RTS from RS232

Steve Coats

I have an easy digi.  Can I bleed off some of the sound card audio through a resistor and charge a small cap to energize the ptt in the easy digi?  Seems like this would make a remote vox.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019, 7:44 PM J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:
The accy input on the back will not send audio to the transmitter unless the accy ptt is low. It also keeps the mike in the rear jack from sending audio to the transmitter during digital transmissions that are enabled by the accy PTT.
If you want to use the VOX in the IC7000 you would have to use the 8 pin mod jack on the rear that the mike normally plugs into.
Basically if you use the 6 pin jack for digital you need to derive the PTT to enable the transmit with audio outside of the radio in the sound card or TNC.
I have been working on this to get the PTT from a vox built into the Digi-Easy instead of the RTS from RS232

I have that exact problem with the DIgi-Easy and I have tried adding a transistor instead of the Opto-isolator and also a few other hacks.
It seems that the sound card in my computer has too low of an output to charge the cap high enough to turn on the Opto Isolator ot the transistor I added.
There are other problems as well that are documented on the Google reference to Digi-Vox.
Added are circuit drawings I have attached below.
I am adding a small sound card that should have a higher sound voltage that will drive the circuit. This is needed to also have a smaller cap to charge so that the VOX will work faster and have less latency.
I am combining the Digi-Easy, the sound card, and serial CAT-IV USB with a small hub to enable a single USB cable to the computer and wiring from the box to the IC-7000 with the lead dress neater.

Steve Coats

I didnt find any files attached.  Maybe the solution is to take 5V out to the easy digi and use a darlington to trigger (triggered with a small cap and bleeder resistor and the audio signal.  Probably need a pot in series for adjustment) the op iso to maintain the isolation in the circuit.  I think that is important, I have had major problems with rf back into the soundcard and computer.