Topics

[IC-7000] PTT switch on mic

Steven Linley

That's a first.   I've not heard of the PTT mirco switch failing.   Usually its the microphone cord (especially near the RJ-45 connectors) that fails.

Steve WA8Y

On 12/6/2017 4:12 PM, calvin.bacon@... [ic7000] wrote:

The push to talk button on my ic7000 microphone is not working. I found that the small microswitch is bad. Does anyone know the part number for that switch or an acceptable substitute?

Cal

KC2KD

Steve W3AHL

I've replaced at least 6 PTT switches over the years and touched up cold solder joints on several more, so it isn't that uncommon.

The original PTT switch was very cheap and was not sealed, so dirt worked its way inside.  This switch has a red plunger.  It is possible to restore operation temporarily using a little contact cleaner squirted around the button and cycling the switch to work the cleaner in.  But the switch should be replaced for a longer term fix.

The new switch has a dark gray button and is sealed, so dirt ingress won't be as much of a problem.  It cannot be cleaned however, since it is sealed.  The Alps SKQJLBA010  part # in a previous post  is the new sealed switch.  I buy them from Mouser.

Note that both switches have special soldering instructions by Alps:  The maximum tip temperature spec is 662 degrees F (350 C) using a 20 watt iron, applying heat for a maximum of 3 seconds to each lead.  No flux solution should be applied to the board or switch leads (just use flux core solder).

Exceeding the temperature or time will cause the aluminum snap disc inside to oxidize, resulting in poor contact.  The conservative soldering spec is also why some PTT switches have cold solder joints.  But unless you are careful, repairing the solder joints on the switch leads will then result in eventual failure due to oxidation of the snap disc.

I haven't had any of the new sealed switches fail since I started using them on 10/27/10.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <linleysa@...> wrote :

That's a first.   I've not heard of the PTT mirco switch failing.   Usually its the microphone cord (especially near the RJ-45 connectors) that fails.

Steve WA8Y

On 12/6/2017 4:12 PM, calvin.bacon@... [ic7000] wrote:

The push to talk button on my ic7000 microphone is not working. I found that the small microswitch is bad. Does anyone know the part number for that switch or an acceptable substitute?

Cal

KC2KD

Pat Goodyear

I have had two stock ICOM mic push buttons fail.   I bought a half dozen from ICOM.  First started seeing failures on my 706 MkIIg HM-151 mics.

Pat Ne6pg

On Dec 7, 2017, at 5:59 AM, Steven Linley linleysa@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

That's a first.   I've not heard of the PTT mirco switch failing.   Usually its the microphone cord (especially near the RJ-45 connectors) that fails.

Steve WA8Y

On 12/6/2017 4:12 PM, calvin.bacon@... [ic7000] wrote:

The push to talk button on my ic7000 microphone is not working. I found that the small microswitch is bad. Does anyone know the part number for that switch or an acceptable substitute?

Cal

KC2KD

Peter Millward

Gentlemen,
I found this at Digi-Key,

CKN10053-ND              .28000
SWITCH TACTILE SPST-NO 0.05A 12V

Drop in replacement, bought 10 of them over the summer. Yes that's .28 cents ea, 2.80 for the lot .  The shipping was more than the 10 switches.
The switch also fits the mic on my IC208h.  For less than $3.00 you can get a lifetime supply.

Pete
KC2EKX

On Friday, December 8, 2017 4:51 PM, "Pat Goodyear ne6pg1@... [ic7000]" wrote:

I have had two stock ICOM mic push buttons fail.   I bought a half dozen from ICOM.  First started seeing failures on my 706 MkIIg HM-151 mics.

Pat Ne6pg

On Dec 7, 2017, at 5:59 AM, Steven Linley linleysa@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

That's a first.   I've not heard of the PTT mirco switch failing.   Usually its the microphone cord (especially near the RJ-45 connectors) that fails.
Steve WA8Y

On 12/6/2017 4:12 PM, calvin.bacon@... [ic7000] wrote:

The push to talk button on my ic7000 microphone is not working. I found that the small microswitch is bad. Does anyone know the part number for that switch or an acceptable substitute?

Cal
KC2KD

Steve W3AHL

Yes, that C&K switch is similar to the original Alps switches used in 7K mic production, which cost $0.30 from Mouser also.  It is not sealed and is rated for 100,000 cycles.

The ALPS SKQJLBA010 that Icom upgraded to for repair parts in 2010 (not sure it was ever used in production for HM-151 mic's) is sealed, rated for 500,000 cycles and costs $1.16 from Mouser.

While no one will probably care about 100K versu 500K cycle rating, it is indicative of the value of sealing the actuator and also subtle improvements to the contact and snap disc design, both of which I would gladly pay an extra $0.86 for to avoid a loss of PTT while mobile or in the field.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <peter.millward@...> wrote :

Gentlemen,
I found this at Digi-Key,

CKN10053-ND              .28000
SWITCH TACTILE SPST-NO 0.05A 12V

Drop in replacement, bought 10 of them over the summer. Yes that's .28 cents ea, 2.80 for the lot .  The shipping was more than the 10 switches.
The switch also fits the mic on my IC208h.  For less than $3.00 you can get a lifetime supply.

Pete
KC2EKX
..snip..