Topics

Ic 7000 problem

Chris

I have a ic 7000 that is giving me fits. What is happening. When I transmit the radio shuts down.  I have even tried it as one radio that is not separated. Any ideas out there would be helpful.  I’m just about to send it in if I can’t get a fix.
Chris wb8ypo

Alex Netherton

Make absolutely sure the fuses are not corroded and there is no voltage drop at the rig. When you key, check that the voltage does not drop too much, or the rig will shut down.

--
73 de W5ALX
HTTP:// blue ridge discovery.org

On March 24, 2018 at 10:39:31 PM, Chris (wb8ypo@...) wrote:

I have a ic 7000 that is giving me fits. What is happening. When I transmit the radio shuts down.  I have even tried it as one radio that is not separated. Any ideas out there would be helpful.  I’m just about to send it in if I can’t get a fix.
Chris wb8ypo

Chris

Yep check that I just can’t find a reason for it. At fist I thought RF was the caused.  But that turned out not the cause.  It’s only when you key the mike it shuts down and restarts.

Chris WB8YPO

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:03 PM -0700, "Alex Netherton" <w5alx-groups@...> wrote:

Make absolutely sure the fuses are not corroded and there is no voltage drop at the rig. When you key, check that the voltage does not drop too much, or the rig will shut down.

--
73 de W5ALX
HTTP:// blue ridge discovery.org
Alex Netherton

On March 24, 2018 at 10:39:31 PM, Chris (wb8ypo@...) wrote:

I have a ic 7000 that is giving me fits. What is happening. When I transmit the radio shuts down.  I have even tried it as one radio that is not separated. Any ideas out there would be helpful.  I’m just about to send it in if I can’t get a fix.
Chris wb8ypo

N3EA

Chris..have you checked your power supply voltage? What are you using for a power supply? Also, what is the SWR when transmit? Try transmitting into a dummy load and see what happens. Does the shut down happen at all power levels and on all bands?

Just some things to look into before you send it back.

Al, N3EA

James F. Boehner, MD

Chris,

This is redundant to the last post, but the IC-7000’s had a major problem with the supplied fuse connectors and fuses. Even if not visibly corroded, this resulted in a major voltage drop, and caused the radio to behave like you describe. The 7000’s are very finicky on voltage.   Before you send it off for repair, it would serve you well to remove the fuse holders from the circuit entirely.  I have done so, and I connect the radio with power poles to a power pole strip that is fused.

I don’t remember the current requirement for the radio on transmit, but have at least a 20 Amp 12 VDC supply.

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

On March 24, 2018 at 10:39:31 PM, Chris (wb8ypo@frontiercom) wrote:

I have a ic 7000 that is giving me fits. What is happening. When I transmit the radio shuts down.  I have even tried it as one radio that is not separated. Any ideas out there would be helpful.  I’m just about to send it in if I can’t get a fix.

Chris wb8ypo

Chris

Checked and it stayed at 13.5 volts

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:32 PM -0700, "N3EA" <amaslin@...> wrote:

Chris..have you checked your power supply voltage? What are you using for a power supply? Also, what is the SWR when transmit? Try transmitting into a dummy load and see what happens. Does the shut down happen at all power levels and on all bands?

Just some things to look into before you send it back.

Al, N3EA

Chris

Jim on the fuse you are talking about the fuse on the power cable.   Right

Chris WB8YPO

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:43 PM -0700, "James F. Boehner, MD via Groups.Io" <jboehner01@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes. The power supply is staying at 13.5 volts, but strip each wire a bit between the fuses and the radio and measure the voltage there when you transmit.

When the fuse holder was the culprit, sometimes removing and reinserting the fuses several times temporarily fixed the problem..

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

[...]

Thanks I’ll try that

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 4:34 AM -0700, "James F. Boehner, MD via Groups.Io" <jboehner01@...> wrote:

[...]

wb2ymu@...

Make sure you have the proper gauge wire, at least 10-12ga. It does draw amps and will shut down if wire gauge is to thin. Also check your antenna grounding.

I had the same problem. I ran the power cable straight to the battery, not chassis ground. I cleaned and tightened the antenna ground and re-checked SWR.

Problem gone..

Chris

Will try that thanks

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 8:08 AM -0700, "wb2ymu via Groups.Io" <wb2ymu@...> wrote:

Make sure you have the proper gauge wire, at least 10-12ga. It does draw amps and will shut down if wire gauge is to thin. Also check your antenna grounding.

I had the same problem. I ran the power cable straight to the battery, not chassis ground. I cleaned and tightened the antenna ground and re-checked SWR.

Problem gone..

wb2ymu@...

No, the whole power cable in general. From the fuse to the battery..The OEM issued cable is fine but not when making LONG power runs...if the radio is mounted in the back of the vehicle

Daniel Rector

I had this same problem with my 7000. I also thought it was RF. After reading these tips I inspected each of my fuses. The two inline fuses had a small line running across them. I sanded both sides and now I do not lose power even at 100 watts output. I will put new fuses in as soon as I get some. Thanks for the “tips” everyone!  NA4X

Chris

Thanks where going to try again

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 11:12 AM -0700, "Daniel Rector" <rectordl@...> wrote:

I had this same problem with my 7000. I also thought it was RF. After reading these tips I inspected each of my fuses. The two inline fuses had a small line running across them. I sanded both sides and now I do not lose power even at 100 watts output. I will put new fuses in as soon as I get some. Thanks for the “tips” everyone!  NA4X

ZL2AAA

Push a needle into the cables near the radio then measure under load
Morrie

Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 12:34 AM

On March 24, 2018 at 10:39:31 PM, Chris (mailto:wb8ypo@...) wrote:

I have a ic 7000 that is giving me fits. What is happening. When I transmit the radio shuts down.  I have even tried it as one radio that is not separated. Any ideas out there would be helpful.  I’m just about to send it in if I can’t get a fix.

Chris wb8ypo

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

Where did you check it?  To know what the radio is seeing you need to measure it at the tuner connector.

Perry K4PWO

Chris..have you checked your power supply voltage? What are you using for a power supply? Also, what is the SWR when transmit? Try transmitting into a dummy load and see what happens. Does the shut down happen at all power levels and on all bands?

Just some things to look into before you send it back.

Al, N3EA

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

The tuner connector is much easier to access and will show any voltage drop in the power jack/plug that is another trouble spot.

Perry K4PWO