[IC-7000] New IC7000 owner .

John ZS5J

I also have three of them, two are installed in mobiles. One thing about them is that they like to have
a good voltage supply or else power output drops remarkably. With my ignition turned off, and just
getting 12.8 volts from the battery, I only get 50 % power output. But when I start the vehicle
and the alternator supplies 14.2 volts to the battery, my output jumps up to 100 %

Only way to fix this, if you are worried about the loss of 3 db when parked, is to install one of the voltage
boosters that MFJ and others sell. It maintains a steady 14 volts output when the supply from the battery
is less than this.

73
John

On 8 Sep 2017, at 12:44 pm, W1JCW John w1jcw@... [ic7000] <ic7000@...> wrote:

A great rig I own three they are so nice with the color screen and composite output looks great on the truck external screen.

Yes get the programming software / cable and you will love your radio even more!

73-

W1JCW

John

Helmut Wabnig

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 12:57:43 +0200, you wrote:

I also have three of them, two are installed in mobiles. One thing about them is that they like to have
a good voltage supply or else power output drops remarkably. With my ignition turned off, and just
getting 12.8 volts from the battery, I only get 50 % power output. But when I start the vehicle
and the alternator supplies 14.2 volts to the battery, my output jumps up to 100 %

Only way to fix this, if you are worried about the loss of 3 db when parked, is to install one of the voltage
boosters that MFJ and others sell. It maintains a steady 14 volts output when the supply from the battery
is less than this.
I tried the MFJ voltage booster and I was surprised how well it works.
Could not find any birdies in the HF bands which I use.
Seems to be a good thing.
Cannot say this with all MFJ products....

w.
OE8UWW

Brent Ingvardsen

This has actually been a refreshing post. I have my 7000 installed in a go box. Normally, we see posts here that deal with people's problems with their radio. I've been waiting for mine to die actually. The positive comments are very welcome. I love my 7000.

73
Brent Ingvardsen, W5GAS
Louisiana ARES
Region 7 DEC

Steve W3AHL

You have excessive voltage drop under load, probably due to the notoriously poor design of the DC cable fuse holders that Icom used.  You need to measure the voltage at pins 3-4 of the TUNER port while transmitting at full power (preferably into a dummy load).  Compare the no load voltage to the full load voltage (or as full as you can get after the voltage drop).  If it is more than about 500 millivolts, you have DC wiring problems.

I can get at least 90 watts TX power output down to 12.0 VDC as measured at pins 3-4 of the TUNER port (which just shows the voltage seen inside the radio after all connectors, fuses, wiring, etc.).  The power out doesn't drop to 50 watts until about 11.2 VDC (40-45 watts on 160 & 80M) at the radio, under load.

The 7K is no more sensitive to low voltage that comparable mobile HF radios from other manufacturers, once you correct the fuse holder problem and any other DC wiring issues.

Replace the Icom fuse holders with a heavy duty, weatherproof ATC 30-amp automotive fuse holder with #10 AWG pigtails.  Use new 30 amp fuses, also.  Insert the fuse into the holder, then pull it out.   The fuse holder contact should leave a scratch on the fuse's blade contact.  That is how ATC fuse contacts are supposed to act.

Notice that the Icom fuse holders leave no scratch, don't break through the oxide layer and don't form a gas-tight connection.  Instead the oxide layer's resistance results in a voltage drop and heating of the fuse blade, which causes more oxide to build up, further increasing the voltage drop.  And eventually the power drops to 50% of what it should be, then later the radio resets when you try to transmit, because there is a voltage detector chip that issues a reset signal to the CPU around 10.7 VDC inside the radio.

This has been a problem for the past 11 years.

Using a voltage booster really doesn't solve the more serious problem that a constantly varying voltage under load creates -- intermodulation distortion of the transmitted signal, resulting in spurious emissions on either side of you signal.  The voltage booster just results in more powerful spurs across the band.

 I also recommend using #8 AWG power cable from the battery to the radio mounting location.  Beware that some of the red/black zip cord sold at ham fests is really speaker cable and cheaper because it has less copper than implied by the markings and thus has greater voltage drop under load.

i've been operating mobile since 2006 and have never needed a voltage booster for either of my 7K's.  But if the engine isn't running, I don't usually run at 100 watts.  Dial it back to 70-80 watts.  No one will know the difference, but your signal will be a little cleaner.

Steve, W3AHL

---In ic7000@..., <jkramer@...> wrote :

I also have three of them, two are installed in mobiles. One thing about them is that they like to have
a good voltage supply or else power output drops remarkably. With my igniition turned off, and just
[...]

Tom Courtney

I have my 7K in a Zero Alloy Go bag with 30 amp switch mode PSU, 3x 7Ah LA Batteries, AT7000 tuner, Fuses, Handy Talkie and Handy charger with spare battery and 7inch monitor, works great. Tom VK4DDG

D C *Mac* Macdonald

I have two 7Ks.  One is in a go-box with IC-2720, Samlex 12-35 power supply, and LDG-200 Mk II and some other minor stuff.  Works great at Field Day!

* * * * * * * * * * *
* 73 - Mac, K2GKK/5 *
* (Since 30 Nov 53) *
* Oklahoma City, OK *
* USAF, Ret'd 61-81 *
** FAA, Ret'd 94-10 *

This has actually been a refreshing post. I have my 7000 installed in a go box. Normally, we see posts here that deal with people's problems with their radio. I've been waiting for mine to die actually. The positive comments are very welcome. I love my 7000.

73
Brent Ingvardsen, W5GAS
Louisiana ARES
Region 7 DEC

Tom Courtney

I have used a Zero Halliburton Centurion elite aluminium case briefcase with lock 18 x 13 x 6