IC-7000 Intermittent recieve

George DuBord

Hello all,
  I have an issue with my recieve and i hoping someone has ran into this before with a solution. I suspect the ribbons are bad by what I've researched on different forums and videos. The recieve will work just fine then out of the blue it drops out with just air noise. then just like that it will start working again. any suggestions? I have ordered some new ribbons which are due to arrive shortly. Thanks for any help resolving this. W9ANW

Bob Brooks

Could it be that your squelch is not adjusted properly? I have had similar behavior when my squelch is just on the edge.

Bob
W1AGC

On Monday, March 4, 2019, 12:07:40 AM EST, George DuBord <gdubord@...> wrote:

Hello all,
  I have an issue with my recieve and i hoping someone has ran into this before with a solution. I suspect the ribbons are bad by what I've researched on different forums and videos. The recieve will work just fine then out of the blue it drops out with just air noise. then just like that it will start working again. any suggestions? I have ordered some new ribbons which are due to arrive shortly. Thanks for any help resolving this. W9ANW

Ron Peak

George,

The advice on “squelch” might be good.  Help me out just a bit....  I have two IC7000s in my Shack, and I have no idea what the “ribbons” are.  Not sure I can solve your problem, but really curious about “ribbons.”

Good luck es vy 73,
Ron
W5RRP

----------
Ron Peak
W5RRP

On Mar 4, 2019, at 9:26 AM, Bob Brooks via Groups.Io <bobbrooks220@...> wrote:

Could it be that your squelch is not adjusted properly? I have had similar behavior when my squelch is just on the edge.

Bob
W1AGC

On Monday, March 4, 2019, 12:07:40 AM EST, George DuBord <gdubord@...> wrote:

Hello all,
  I have an issue with my recieve and i hoping someone has ran into this before with a solution. I suspect the ribbons are bad by what I've researched on different forums and videos. The recieve will work just fine then out of the blue it drops out with just air noise. then just like that it will start working again. any suggestions? I have ordered some new ribbons which are due to arrive shortly. Thanks for any help resolving this. W9ANW

The ribbons are the flat printed circuit ribbon cables that are behind the front panel and do almost all of the interconnect signals between the main board (top) and the PA board (bottom). There are also the same types of cables from the main board to the digital board and through the front chassis to the connector for the front panel.
The internal "wires" in the cable are very very thin and when they are flexed can break internally (ask how I know).
To replace them you have to remove the PA board and unsolder the UHF plugs on the back, unsolder the Driver board, unscrew the final screws holding them to the heat sinks,and work out the power jack and lift it.
While you are there be sure to check the driver board heatsink for compound and you should check the final compound also.

George DuBord

I'll be checking the settings , squelch, and do a full reset after I install the new ribbons. hopefully this will cure the issue. I'll post the results for the group so in case we see this again it may help someone.

George W9ANW

Charles Scott <cscott@...>

George:

Is it just receive or are you loosing transmit? I have a problem with my IC-7000 that may not be what yours has but might be interesting.

My IC-7000 that I've used mobile for years developed a problem that was both TX and RX on HF only. It was intermittent, particularly on bumps, but getting worse and didn't matter which band I was on. I thought it was the T/R relay between the amp and the filter selection, which also carries RX signal.

When I got into it I found that it was the logic module on the top of the radio that was intermittent and causing that relay to not pull in, and perhaps other issues.  I pulled the logic module and cleaned the two connectors that plug into the board below. That seemed to settle it down. Thought I still had an occasional problem but then found a problem at my antenna. Seems to be good most of the time but think I've seen the problem come up a couple times since, although only for a short time.

I exchanged E-Mail with the Icom tech here in MI and he says this can be a problem with the logic module and the solution is to replace it. The only problem is doing that also requires a full alignment, so the cost of the module and labor is about that of a good used IC-7000. An IC-7100 might work in my vehicle but it's a bigger display and I like how things are setup currently.

I figure I'm going to live with it for now and if it becomes are regular problem again I'll go back in and see if I can't find exactly where the problem is.

Good luck with your radio.

Chuck

On 3/3/2019 11:11 PM, George DuBord wrote:
Hello all,
  I have an issue with my recieve and i hoping someone has ran into this before with a solution. I suspect the ribbons are bad by what I've researched on different forums and videos. The recieve will work just fine then out of the blue it drops out with just air noise. then just like that it will start working again. any suggestions? I have ordered some new ribbons which are due to arrive shortly. Thanks for any help resolving this. W9ANW

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

I believe he’s talking about the internal flex printed circuit ribbon cables used to interconnect the boards.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Edited

I waiting for some additional supplies to be delivered so I can proceed with the possible fix. most of the parts have arrived, just waiting on heat solution paste then its off to the races.73

Thanks for all the input, I keep the results coming as I try some of the fixes.

Bob Brooks

George

About the squelch that I originally suggested; if it is happening on ssb it probably isn't the squelch. If it is happening on FM it could be.

Bob
W1AGC

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019, 9:27:30 PM EST, George DuBord <gdubord@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I waiting for some additional supplies to be delivered so I can proceed with the possible fix. most of the parts have arrived, just waiting on heat solution paste then its off to the races.73

Thanks for all the input, I keep the results coming as I try some of the fixes.

Paul Hansen

Bob and George,

                Not necessarily so. There are 3 settings for the squelch control: AUTO, SQL, RF+SQL. Either of the second two settings will present familiar squelch operation in SSB, CW and RTTY. Make sure your squelch setting in QS - OTHERS is set to AUTO. You can also simply reset the entire microprocessor as AUTO is the default setting.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road