From: ic7000@... [mailto:ic7000@...]
Sent: November 27, 2017 21:08
To: ic7000@...
Subject: [IC-7000] IC-700 with MFJ-939i

I wanted to ask the group about this recent experience I have had with my IC-7000.

During the recent ARRL sweepstakes phone contest I operated using my 7000 with a newly acquired

MFJ-939i auto antenna tuner.  I was careful to note the instruction with the MFJ to make certain the jumper,

J4, was removed before using it with the 7000.

I was operating using a dipole cut roughly for 75 meters and fed with 50 feet of coax to the tuner which was

connected to the 7000.  Everything worked well throughout the time I was on Saturday night and well into

Sunday late afternoon.  At some point late Sunday afternoon, I can't remember what band I was on, I smelled

that dreaded electrical smell and saw smoke coming from the back top of the radio.  I quickly shut things down.

The next day I removed the top and bottom covers on the 7000 and could not observe any burned components

or circuit board traces.  Applying power to the radio revealed no additional smoke issues and it appeared every

function was present with the excep! tion of the lack of any power output on any band, HF or VHF or UHF.

Has anyone experienced this failure with the MFJ-939i and their IC-7000 and, given the symptom of no power out

on any band is it likely the pre driver is bad or the driver board if they are separate boards.  I would welcome any suggestions for repair locations as I am in the Outer Banks, NC for the foreseeable future.

Thanks and 73

Hank

K3YDX

William Reynolds

Same thing happened to mine in February, I sent it to the icom service center in Michigan and it came back working better than before.

6Y5WW-William
I HAM Radio Active