[IC-7000] IC-700 with MFJ-939i

Geoff Williams <geoff_williams@...>

I'm sorry for you Hank, but I think you have done your PA Driver. It's located under the Main board. It is used on all bands as separate power output Fets are used for HF, VHF and UHF.

[image1.jpeg]

Sent from my iPad.

On 28 Nov 2017, at 11:20 AM, Hank Hanburger k3ydx@yahoo.com<mailto:k3ydx@yahoo.com> [ic7000] <ic7000@yahoogroups.com<mailto:ic7000@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

I wanted to ask the group about this recent experience I have had with my IC-7000.

During the recent ARRL sweepstakes phone contest I operated using my 7000 with a newly acquired
MFJ-939i auto antenna tuner. I was careful to note the instruction with the MFJ to make certain the jumper,
J4, was removed before using it with the 7000.

I was operating using a dipole cut roughly for 75 meters and fed with 50 feet of coax to the tuner which was
connected to the 7000. Everything worked well throughout the time I was on Saturday night and well into
Sunday late afternoon. At some point late Sunday afternoon, I can't remember what band I was on, I smelled
that dreaded electrical smell and saw smoke coming from the back top of the radio. I quickly shut things down.

The next day I removed the top and bottom covers on the 7000 and could not observe any burned components
or circuit board traces. Applying power to the radio revealed no additional smoke issues and it appeared every
function was present with the exception of the lack of any power output on any band, HF or VHF or UHF.

Has anyone experienced this failure with the MFJ-939i and their IC-7000 and, given the symptom of no power out
on any band is it likely the pre driver is bad or the driver board if they are separate boards. I would welcome any suggestions for repair locations as I am in the Outer Banks, NC for the foreseeable future.

Thanks and 73

Hank
K3YDX

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon> Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>