Topics

IC-7000 for Go-Box?

Charles Jessee <cbjesseeNH@...>

I’ve been thinking to swap my KWD TM-710G out for a used IC-7000 in my QuickSilver Radio Hammo-Can Go-Box for use with Winlink and ARES work. I’d use it either 2m or 40m/80m HF. I’d have to add a SignaLink and LDG IT-100 Tuner carried in a separate box with a Win10 tablet, but that’s OK. Antennas would be 2m whip or 40m/80m loafed coil NVIS dipoles.

Is there any reason why that might *not* be a good idea? The box has a 35Ahr battery and USB 5V ports to power a small fan to help cooling.

Another option is a IC-7100 in a bigger box but that seems a lot of radio for a Go-Box.

Bret/N4SRN

w2ttt

Brett,
Great radio choice for a Go Box!
If you can, buy the generic AT-100ProII tuner and not the IT-100.  You'll have controls and a front panel choice of two antennas in the tuner.
In any configuration, watch for overheating.
73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 5:47 PM -0400, "Charles Jessee" <cbjesseeNH@...> wrote:

I’ve been thinking to swap my KWD TM-710G out for a used IC-7000 in my QuickSilver Radio Hammo-Can Go-Box for use with Winlink and ARES work. I’d use it either 2m or 40m/80m HF. I’d have to add a SignaLink and LDG IT-100 Tuner carried in a separate box with a Win10 tablet, but that’s OK. Antennas would be 2m whip or 40m/80m loafed coil NVIS dipoles.

Is there any reason why that might *not* be a good idea? The box has a 35Ahr battery and USB 5V ports to power a small fan to help cooling.

Another option is a IC-7100 in a bigger box but that seems a lot of radio for a Go-Box.

Bret/N4SRN

Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964

D C *Mac* Macdonald

I use an LDG AT-200 Pro II in my go-box for IC-7000 plus IC-2720 for 2m/70cm and a Samlex pwr sply.

73 de Mac, K2GKK/5 in OKC  OK

On Sep 6, 2020, at 17:30, w2ttt <w2ttt@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Schoonover

The 7K is quite sensitive to input voltage. Mine starts having fits on transmit around 11 volts.

73! Mark KA6WKE

Website: https://www.ka6wke.net

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020, 14:47 Charles Jessee <cbjesseeNH@...> wrote:

I’ve been thinking to swap my KWD TM-710G out for a used IC-7000 in my QuickSilver Radio Hammo-Can Go-Box for use with Winlink and ARES work. I’d use it either 2m or 40m/80m HF. I’d have to add a SignaLink and LDG IT-100 Tuner carried in a separate box with a Win10 tablet, but that’s OK. Antennas would be 2m whip or 40m/80m loafed coil NVIS dipoles.

Is there any reason why that might *not* be a good idea? The box has a 35Ahr battery and USB 5V ports to power a small fan to help cooling.

Another option is a IC-7100 in a bigger box but that seems a lot of radio for a Go-Box.

Bret/N4SRN

James Johnston <jimthej@...>

Pretty much what I have except the AT-7000 tuner. I’m selling mine and going to replace it with a more power friendly rig. It eats my go-battery in about an hour. Packed in a Harbor Freight hard case. $650 except the battery. Not selling that. Includes unused separation kit. Mike modded by AB5N Bob Nagy.

Jim Johnston

On Sep 6, 2020, at 15:43, D C *Mac* Macdonald <k2gkk@...> wrote:

[...]

Andy Brinkley

Bret –

No problems here running a IC-7000.  Granted it is a little power hungry compared to some of the QRP rigs but I works well for me.

Attached are pictures of my “go box, it is 12” x 12” x 8” fabricated from 1/8” aluminum sheets.  The picture is of the old configuration with an ICOM 706, recently swapped it to a 7000.

Portable power is supplied by a Bioenno 20 Ahr battery, with a 35 Ahr battery you should be fine.  I also carry a power cable with alligator clips on it and also one that plugs into my trailer hitch plug on the truck for “tailgate” portable operation.  Coax, log book, computer for digital modes, wire antennas, rope, etc. all fit in a water tight Rigid tool box with wheels.

Andy / NC4AB

I’ve been thinking to swap my KWD TM-710G out for a used IC-7000 in my QuickSilver Radio Hammo-Can Go-Box for use with Winlink and ARES work. I’d use it either 2m or 40m/80m HF. I’d have to add a SignaLink and LDG IT-100 Tuner carried in a separate box with a Win10 tablet, but that’s OK. Antennas would be 2m whip or 40m/80m loafed coil NVIS dipoles.

Is there any reason why that might *not* be a good idea? The box has a 35Ahr battery and USB 5V ports to power a small fan to help cooling.

Another option is a IC-7100 in a bigger box but that seems a lot of radio for a Go-Box.

Bret/N4SRN

w2ttt

Brett,
Another consideration is that you might want to run cables through ferrite chokes and use a choke balun/line isolator on your HF/6M antenna lead to ensure that RF stays away.  In particular, I fried an Alinco switched mode power supply by having the RF from either the cables or from being close to portable antennas.
This was years ago when I had a new IC-7000.  Now, I tend to use a hard shell Bioennopower battery and a switched mode charge controller (MPPT) large enough to overcome just a bit more than the average current drain of the Go Kit.  I particularly like the West Mountain Radio Epic Powergate.  They are worth the cost!
This reduces weight and improves flexibility in power sourcing than simply using a comon switched mode power supply.
73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 6:45 PM -0400, "D C *Mac* Macdonald" <k2gkk@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott Honaker

The IC-7100 would eliminate the need for a SignalLink.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Scott N7SS

Dave Christensen

I have a Go Bag with a IC-7000.  So I setup the equipment with the AT100 PROII tuner, a Raspberry Pi for rig control and digital apps, a Bionics 14AH LiFePO4 battery, a Signalink sound card, etc.  It works great.  Be aware that you need room around the 7000 for airflow because they tend to run warm.

James F. Boehner, MD

To all,

The IC-7000 is an excellent choice for a Go Box.  When I pulled my HF equipment out of my Jeep, I decided to repurpose the IC-7000 for a Go Box.  I used a Gator Box, one that is usually used for professional audio equipment, that has wheels and an extending handle, like a suitcase.  I do agree about how finicky the IC-7000 is under lower voltage conditions, and added a “Battery Booster” similar to the MFJ-4416C.  Cut off the supplied fuses from the power cord, and use a properly fused Rigrunner instead.  Those supplied fuse connectors are implicated in significant voltage drops.   I am using the IT-100 (noted the post below, and agree as to the better choice of an AT-100PROII) and it is powered only through the ICOM connector.  I also have a Kenwood TM-D700 hooked up for APRS, and VHF/UHF communications as well as a Signal link for data communications.  The West Mountain PWRGATE is an excellent choice and I can either have filtered AC or Battery power to run the radios.  I keep the battery external, though, as “real estate” in the Go Box goes fast, with front aiming speakers, Two radios, Signal Link, Tuner, etc.  I am using a fairly large AGM battery.

I’m happy that after all these years, the ic-7000 is still performing up to specs, and even the clock works!

I’ll see if I can set up some pictures in the group’s folders.

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Listowner

[...]

Brent Ingvardsen

I have used a 7000 for several years in my go-box. It does get picky about voltages but otherwise has been a great fit.

W5GAS

Chris Edwards

I use a Pelican 1520 for the IC-7000 Go-Box with the LDG IT100 tuner, MFJ Super Battery Booster, Signalink, speaker, and a separate 30 amp Solar Generator to power the rig.  I use a Super Antenna MP-1, which eliminates the need for the tuner.  I’m currently undergoing the swap to the IC-705 backpack, will see how it does.

Mark Gilligan

I have mounted my IC-7000 on a piece of plywood along with Signalink, USB power hub, and Rigrunner power panel.  All power connections to USB power sources use power pole connectors.  Computer has a power converter that uses 12V DC from the power panel.  All components are fully connected on the board.  This fits in a box.

Charger for HT and USB devices plug into power panel or powered hub.  Only external connectors are a 12 V DCV power source and antennas.

I also deploy with and AH4 antenna tuner.

Mark  KD6MZC