IC-7000 erratic low power output on HF

Don Rolph

Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440
It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter
it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40
it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Van

Check the fuses in the power line. Just pull them out and reinstall and see if this doesn’t fix your problem

This has been known to cause this type of problem.

You might consider installing some better fuses.

73

Van

WD6FGB

Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440

It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter

it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40

it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH

Don Rolph

Don Rolph

Thanks I will check this.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 1:59 PM Van <wd6fgb@...> wrote:

Check the fuses in the power line. Just pull them out and reinstall and see if this doesn’t fix your problem

This has been known to cause this type of problem.

You might consider installing some better fuses.

73

Van

WD6FGB

Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440

It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter

it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40

it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH

Don Rolph

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Adrian McGonigle

Dont just pull them and put them back in, if you see a line across the blade fuse there is oxidisation on it, give it a clean, preferably with wire wool or something similar, happens to every IC-7000 eventually, they fuses are crap.

Adrian G0KOM

Don Rolph

Thanks will do!

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 2:25 PM Adrian McGonigle <adrian@...> wrote:
Dont just pull them and put them back in, if you see a line across the blade fuse there is oxidisation on it, give it a clean, preferably with wire wool or something similar, happens to every IC-7000 eventually, they fuses are crap.

Adrian G0KOM

AB1PH
Don Rolph

don ---------

I bet it's the crips / connection for negative or positive  fuses

I soldered my wire connection  after cleaning  and crimping

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440
It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter
it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40
it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Put a voltmeter on the +12 volt output available on the tuner plus to see what the voltage is att he radio during the low power episodes.If it ia about the same as the powersupply then the fuses are not the problem.
You may have a problem in the finals.
Also look at the ALV reading on the front panel. If there is a high ALC it could be because of high SWR or some other problem that folds back the power (SWR is only one reason)
The ALC circuit receives a signal from the SWR, forward power signal, ALC from an amplifier, and current draw from the battery.
The ALC limits the power to keep the current draw less than 22 amps, for example. It also limits power output etc for different modes (ssb for example has a higher peak allowed than CW, AM and RTTY).

--
J.D. Barron

Chuck Scott <cscott@...>

Perhaps a less likely but possible cause is poor connections on the Logic Unit or issues there.

All the control lines for the filter selections come from that board and if those start malfunctioning you can end up with issues with power output and sensitivity.

I had that problem on mine after some 15 years of continuous mobile use. By pulling the module and carefully cleaning the connections it started to settle down. It's good enough to be used on the bench, but I think it's mobile days are over. An IC-7100 has now taken its place.

Chuck - N8DNX

I just bought a new IC-7300 and what a piece of kit!
I had three IC-7000s and have sold two of them. I have the last and best one (all were just about the same, but the other two had had various repairs made and more sue) ans I an considering selling it along with the separation cable and the remote mounting plate.
I have the manual and mobile mount and a new power cable. Never used mobile, what I hear is "gently used". I mostly used it for FT-8 at 35 watts with a tuner.
Who wants a mint IC-7000, Separation cable etc. in the new year?

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 3:39 PM Chuck Scott <cscott@...> wrote:
Perhaps a less likely but possible cause is poor connections on the
Logic Unit or issues there.

All the control lines for the filter selections come from that board and
if those start malfunctioning you can end up with issues with power
output and sensitivity.

I had that problem on mine after some 15 years of continuous mobile use.
By pulling the module and carefully cleaning the connections it started
to settle down. It's good enough to be used on the bench, but I think
it's mobile days are over. An IC-7100 has now taken its place.

Chuck - N8DNX

--
J.D. Barron

Don Rolph

Will check.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 3:50 PM don --------- <ka7qqv@...> wrote:
I bet it's the crips / connection for negative or positive  fuses

I soldered my wire connection  after cleaning  and crimping

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440
It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter
it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40
it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH
Don Rolph

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Don Rolph

Got it.

Thanks for the detailed discussion of how the pieces interact.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 3:51 PM J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:
[...]

svenskadude

Hello Don,

As you have rated output on vhf and uhf, I would check the output of the ic7000 on a dummy load.  The radio may be folding back the power due to an antenna problem.

If it has full output on a dummy load, it is in the feed line or antenna.  The power at the 4 pin connector for the antenna tuner should be at about 12.3 volts or higher during transmit at full power.

This radio is very voltage sensitive, mine would shut off at about 12 volts.

Good luck, Dave.  N7DWL

Don Rolph

Thanks for the info!

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 6:12 PM svenskadude <dwright073@...> wrote:
Hello Don,

As you have rated output on vhf and uhf, I would check the output of the ic7000 on a dummy load.  The radio may be folding back the power due to an antenna problem.

If it has full output on a dummy load, it is in the feed line or antenna.  The power at the 4 pin connector for the antenna tuner should be at about 12.3 volts or higher during transmit at full power.

This radio is very voltage sensitive, mine would shut off at about 12 volts.

Good luck, Dave.  N7DWL

AB1PH
Don Rolph

Don Rolph

OK after much poking (and sage advice from Dave Doe K1HRV), it appears that:

- I have a new external SWR/power meter which allows me to read data quickly but is amusing on SSB and of course with no power
- which was combined with a mismatch to the antenna which led to full fold back of the power level
- compounded by the settings in the WSJT software which confounded what I was observing

Thanks for all the suggestions.  The fold back comments on SWR and the discussion of the details of the ALC provide the keys to unravelling my confusion here.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 1:18 PM Don Rolph <don.rolph@...> wrote:
Suddenly last night my IC-7000 stopped performing effectively on HF.

It delivers 35 watts on 440
It delivers 45 watts on 2 meter
it delivers between 0 and 13 watts at most on 20, 15, and 6 with erratic behavior on 40
it provides 11 watts during tuning

Thoughts/suggestions?  Other diagnostic tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!!!

AB1PH
Don Rolph

AB1PH
Don Rolph

David Milligan

I agree with voltage drops and antennas etc. Mine gives me a fit all the time whether it an antenna issue or voltage drop at the power supply

David P Milligan
843-615-6858

wb9avw@...

HI :
After running the IC-7000 in the car for a few years and getting the inline fuse holder issues.
(Ie dropping power and rig dropping out) . Ive replaced the blade fuse with in line circuit breakers that ou can buy off ebay that are
normally used fro those high power audio amps.  There heavy duty cheap and simple to cut the power wires are screw into the breaker.
They are manual reset which is fine and can be found in may amp ranges..  Have not had a power issue for 2 years plus now in the car.
So should work fine in the ham shack also.

Ken Campbell

WB9AVW,
That’s a great idea. Well worth considering for base and portable rigs as well. Gonna look into getting some myself. Thanx for sharing! 👍🏻😁