From: ic7000@...
To: ic7000@...
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 6:41:48 PM
Subject: [IC-7000] Digest Number 4908

1 Message

Digest #4908

Message

1

Digital Modes and CAT on IC7000

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm (PST) . Posted by:

sv2hws

Hello everyone

Can someone provide some getting started info for digital modes and CAT on IC7000?

I want to use modes like PSK31,SSTV,WSJT,Echolink,RTTY and others.
For this I think I will use fldigi because I mostly work on Linux and as far as I found out this is the most well known software for digital modes in linux.
What cable connections do I need for this to work?

I would also like to remotely control my radio.
What software can I use for this on linux?
Can the same software and connections be used also for programming the radio (ex. memories)?

While searching I found different interfaces saying that they will do these jobs (with price ascending order).
I have found cheap cables on ebay for CAT and Tx/Rx audio.
I have also come across xggcomms cables - http://www.xggcomms.com/page11.htm http://www.xggcomms.com/page11.htm
I finally came across the signalink usb - http://www.tigertronics.com/ http://www.tigertronics.com/

Signalink as it seems is very popular and with many happy users.
Has anyone used the xggcomms cables?
Or cheap ebay cables are good enough for the job?

Signalink is a sound card by itself, leaving the main computer sound card free for other uses.
But I guess one could pay a lot less money for the other cables and get a 5$ external usb sound card which would result in the same configuration, what do you think?

Another question is if I should use the 6 pin or the 13 pin socket for connections?
What is the difference of these 2 ports?
I have read about MIC not muting when using 13pin port.
Does this mean that noise from the room around the radio will get picked up together with the digital signal?
Is a separate 3.5mm CI-V cable also required for the above mentioned operations?

Thank you in advance for the help,
Triantafyllos
SV2HWS

Community email addresses:
  Post message: IC7000@...
  Subscribe:    IC7000-subscribe@...

"Spam, racism, name-calling, vulgarity, religious or political propaganda, personal insults and/or verbal abuse will not be tolerated in this group at any time. Any member posting such material will be placed on moderated status, and is subject to deletion and banning."

Mark Langenfeld

Triantafyllos:

I can only tell you what has worked well for me.  The Signalink USB was essentially plug'n'play here using the 6-pin data port.  TX/RX level adjustments are a little bit sensitive using that port, but not excessively so.  Should you find them difficult to adjust, workarounds are detailed in the Signalink documentation. Thie MIC mutes (so you don't have to reduce MIC gain), and you can operate just fine without a CAT cable if you don't mind doing the "traditional" functions manually.  But, a CAT cable will allow band changes, etc., by software command.

I am not familiar with the CAT cables you reference, but would suggest that you seek a cable using the FTDI chipset.  I know some of the cheaper cables use something else and may amount to a false economy.

GL es 73,

Mark -- WA9ETW