IC-7000 and Signalink USB Setup

Steve Maslin

Hello all,

Need some assistance.  I just got a Signalink USB for use with my IC-7000, but I am having great difficulty getting it to work.  Can anyone give me some advice on how to configure it correctly with DX Lab Suite or WSJT-X.  I cannot get either program to connect to the radio at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Maslin, NS4M

Do you have the 6 pin mini DIN plug and the proper jumpers installed in the Signalink USB?
I am using the SIgnalink USB and have no problems with the on the WSJT-X or Winlink etc.
Make sure that the selection for the output and input is the Audio CODEC for both and the computer is using them as well as the program.
Some use the 13 pin MiniDIN and have problems with the PTT etc.
The volume of the "Speaker" output on mine has to be 100% to drive the Signalink PTT switching and the TX volume is therefore set very low.
If you are having problems with both RX and TX then the USB setup in the computer may not be correct.
Start with getting the receive signal working into the computer and then the Transmitter (ideally into a dummy load.)
You can check it with the tune function (with the power set low and then bring it up slowly until the PTT pulls in.
You can turn on the monitor function in the IC7000 to hear what is being sent to the IC7000.
The Signal link shows up in the PC as Audio CODEC so look for that in the sound setup of your PC.

Steve Maslin

Thanks for that info. I am using the 6pin plugged into the data port on the rear of the radio. I did verify the jumpers twice so they look ok. It appears the audio is coming through but when I try to hit Test CAT in the software it gives me a hamlink error trying to connect to it. So I have no control over the radio nor does the information from the radio come through to the software.

Can you post a screenshot of your config in WSJT-X so o can compare what I have ?

thanks

Two different problems and not related.
Is the receiver getting signal from the radio?

The Cat is a different animal as it is not related to the signal link at all.
First the radio selected is the IC7000 and not the R7000.
2. Find the serial port in the Device manager and set it up.
I run the baud rate on the IC7000 at 9600 and of course select the baud rate of the WSJT-x to 9600 as well.
Data, stop bits and handshake to default.
I run the mode on USB and the split operation to rig.
PTT to VOX.
You did not say what CAT USB to serial converter you were using, but the TX and RX are tied together and go to the tip of the plug.
The most usual problem is the cat not setup in the radio and the baud rates not matching or the plug wired incorrectly.

Steve Maslin

The only cable plugged into my computer is the USB cable from the Signallink. I don’t even see a communications port in device manager but on a second PC I tried I do see the communications port as COM1.

What configuration needs to happen on the radio itself?

The Signalink has no capability of sending CAT signals to the IC7000 or any other radio.
To do that you will need a Serial USB adapter to convert the output from the PC (USB) to TTL level serial, with the RX and TX as above.
There are a number of them available on Amazon and Ebay, etc.
One can modify a Beofeng programming cable to work by again tying the RX and TX to the tip of a 3.5 MM plug.
You can also buy a cable expressly made for the Icoms.
You can manually set the frequency to that specified in the WSJT-X program and set the split operation to NONE and work without the CAT.
No cat, no cat control.
You still need to get the signal in and out of the radio and out and in the PC.
The Signalink will still operate the PTT through the 6 pin MiniDin cable.
For the whole thing to work you will need that CAT converter.

Steve Maslin

Ah that seems to be the missing puzzle piece then. I just ordered this cable from amazon :  RPC-I17-UF

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Enterprises-Chipset-Control-Programming/dp/B003OJAXWY

So that should resolve my issues right ?

thanks !

That should do it for you.
You can still get the Signalink USB working on the radio while you are waiting for the cable.
You should at least be able to decode signals and transmit with no shift if you want.
I run 30 - 40 watts into a DX77a antenna and do fairly well.
If you try to run more than that you will heat up the finals a pretty good bit and maybe damage something.
30 - 40 watts seems to be enough to get the job done OK.
Good Luck
KE4MD

Steve Maslin

Awesome thank you for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

Steve
NS4M

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

Define "connect to radio"... if you mean CAT control, you'll need a CAT controller interface like a USB to CI-V adapter. The Signalink USB does NOT supply a CAT interface, it is only a sound device with internal VOX to supply PTT.

Perry K4PWO

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10+.