[IC-7000] Accessory DIN Socket

Brian (N2MLP)

What tuner and amp are you using would help

From: ic7000@... [mailto:ic7000@...]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:01 PM
To: ic7000@...
Subject: [IC-7000] Accessory DIN Socket

Good Afternoon Group:

I recently acquired a linear amplifier and was pondering over how to hook it up, the ACC socket is where I have my computer and digital comms programs currently running.

Sure, I could swap out the cables from digital operations to the running the amplifier on SSB/CW. But that would eliminate the ability to auto log... carrying this to the extreme... what if one wanted to operate with all of the following:

  • Digitally operations
  • Tuner
  • Amplifier

I probably answered my own questions... in that it's not possible (with the IC-7000).. Are there any workarounds?.

tnx es 7 3 de K3SSB

Tom G, Sr.

Robert Spencer

I run an amp and a SCS PTC II Pro pactor modem with a Mod2 Robust packet card.  The amp uses an Ameritron ARB704 and of course the 13 pin ACC also connects from the IC7000 to the modem.  I also run an IC2820.  I built a relay switching system so I can go to different configurations.  I tied the commons together so I can select between either radio and also a sound card device or packet.  The 6 pin dins are tied to either NO or NC contacts then the commons are tied so the NC or NO of a different relay contacts either go to the packet or to a sound card device.  This is all in a mobile setup.  I can switch to any configuration without having to swap cables.  I used instrumentation grade relays and screw in din connectors for the relay box.  This was expensive.  It cost close to $500 for parts and a good aluminum housing.  I used an Amphenol military type connector for the 13 pin ACC.  Nearly all the #2 pins were grounds, so they were tied together without relays.  Pay close attention to the grounding and shielding requirements for the PTC modem if that is what you are using.  Some shields cannot be grounded.  It will cause the modem to go into a transmit mode.
I went cheap for a while and hoped it would work, but I found out the hard way that I was constantly repairing solder connections due to the strain on the cables.  This system has been up for 5 months now without any issues.
Currently the IC7000 13 pin ACC provides the power for the PTC modem.  I am going to change that so I do not have to power up the 7000 just for packet with the IC2820.  The ALC is used by the ARB704 and the PTC modem.  I did not do any work to configure the system to share the ALC to use the amp in digital mode.  Even mobile, I do not need an amp for digital mode.
If you want a BOM, let me know.
Robert

k4pwo@...

Why are you guys using the 13-pin ACC connector for digital modes instead of the 6-pin Data connector? If you use the Data connector you don’t have to worry about mike audio screwing up your digital transmission.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Kenneth Dyer

It enables connection to external equipment such as a TNC, a linear amplifier PW1 an automatic antenna tuner etc.

Ken GW0RHC

[...]

TNC = DATA

Leave the ACC for none data uses…

Perry K4PWO