Topics

IC-7000 2 Meter Rpt Problem Transmit but doesn't open the repeater ?

Kurt Sweeny

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Dave Sherron

Does the repeater require a tone?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Dave Sherron

Are there any repeaters in your area that do not require a tone? Will it bring them up? Have you saved the tone and frequency on the 7000 with the M2 button?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

J.D. Barron

I think that you need to set up the frequency shift and tone.
Look up the repeater receive frequency and see if this is the frequency showing on the front panel at the bottom.
Then check to see is the tone is set and visible at the top of the display on the left (ish) side.
Basically you should see DUP and Tone on the screen and those settings to match the repeater.

Mike Herbert

I recently discovered that in order to encode the proper CTCSS level to keep a repeater open I needed to adjust the filter setting. Press the FIL button on the mic and observe the skirts at the top of the display. I needed the wide selection to avoid dropping out of a local box only 2 miles away. I confirmed with my service monitor that the filter setting does change the encode level as well as tx audio deviation.

Sent from my Verizon, Galaxy S8+ smartphone

Kurt Sweeny

Dave,

The repeater requires a tone. It seems that most do with the default tone being 100.0 Hz.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 3:38 AM, Dave Sherron <DSher335.z@...> wrote:

Does the repeater require a tone?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

D C *Mac* Macdonald

Another owner has commented about this.  His finding was that the transmit audio needs to be opened up at the low end to allow the so-called "sub-audible" tones to pass.  I seem to remember that the lowest possible tone is 67.0 Hz.

I use specific Icom 2m/70cm rigs instead of their HF rigs for mobile VHF/UHF use.

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5​
(Since 30 Nov 53)​
k2gkk hotmail com​
Oklahoma City, OK​
USAF & FAA, Ret'd​
Icom User a/o '72​

The repeater requires a tone. It seems that most do with the default tone being 100.0 Hz.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 3:38 AM, Dave Sherron <DSher335.z@...> wrote:

Does the repeater require a tone?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Kurt Sweeny

J.D.
Frequency split is enabled. Dup,FM-Tone, and transmit frequency (when keyed)all display.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 7:04 AM, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

I think that you need to set up the frequency shift and tone.
Look up the repeater receive frequency and see if this is the frequency showing on the front panel at the bottom.
Then check to see is the tone is set and visible at the top of the display on the left (ish) side.
Basically you should see DUP and Tone on the screen and those settings to match the repeater.

Kurt Sweeny

Dave
had the same thinking for testing a no tone repeater, still looking. I have saved the tone and frequency.
Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 3:45 AM, Dave Sherron <DSher335.z@...> wrote:

Are there any repeaters in your area that do not require a tone? Will it bring them up? Have you saved the tone and frequency on the 7000 with the M2 button?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Kurt Sweeny

D.C.

I think the Narrow Mid and Wide transmit filters do not effect FM transmissions (?)

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 9:03 AM, D C *Mac* Macdonald <k2gkk@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,
I have the wide skirt selected at 15k which I think is the widest.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Mike Herbert <wb6jkv@...> wrote:

I recently discovered that in order to encode the proper CTCSS level to keep a repeater open I needed to adjust the filter setting. Press the FIL button on the mic and observe the skirts at the top of the display. I needed the wide selection to avoid dropping out of a local box only 2 miles away. I confirmed with my service monitor that the filter setting does change the encode level as well as tx audio deviation.

Sent from my Verizon, Galaxy S8+ smartphone

J.D. Barron

Kurt,
I had a similar problem with hitting a 440 repeater with one of my Ic7000s.
The problem was that although I could key the transmitter and power was being sent out the receiver was not working on the 70 cm band.
Do you know you are putting out power?

I assume the transmitter is drawing more current on transmit, but I have a power meter for VHF / UHF but no signal generator to prove the reverse.
Are you putting out power? Can you check with a HT?

Geoff

Hi Kurt,

If your FT 530 can work the repeater then you can test what CTCSS the 530 is sending by using your 7000. This will at least eliminate the CTCSS as the issue.

If you can, lower the power of the 530 to minimum or preferably feed the 530 into a dummy load.

Tune the 7000's receiver to the repeater's input frequency and set the 7000's tone squelch to the tone frequency that you think is used on the repeater. When you transmit on the 530 you will see the signal being received by the 7000 but you will only hear audio from the 7000's speaker when it's tone squelch frequency matches that of the 530's transmitted CTCSS. Keep changing the 7000's tone squelch until you hear the audio of the 530 from the 7000's speaker. Note that tone frequency and set that into the 7000's tone setting for the repeater's CTCSS.

Also double check that your duplex offset is correct by comparing it with your 530.

Good luck.
Geoff
VK3ZGW

.

On 17 Apr 2019, at 14:59, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Kurt Sweeny

JD

Yes I can hear the 7000 on the 530 so I know that the 7000 is transmitting.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:18 PM, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

Kurt,
I had a similar problem with hitting a 440 repeater with one of my Ic7000s.
The problem was that although I could key the transmitter and power was being sent out the receiver was not working on the 70 cm band.
Do you know you are putting out power?

I assume the transmitter is drawing more current on transmit, but I have a power meter for VHF / UHF but no signal generator to prove the reverse.
Are you putting out power? Can you check with a HT?

Kurt Sweeny

Geoff,

I have repeater tables and the tone scan of 7000 identify the used by the repeater, in addition to be able to see the tone successfully used by the 530. So, I fairly confident I have the right tone.

Thanks to you and others for all the suggestions. Though I yet haven’t found a repeater that doesn’t require a tone, My fires us that the 7000 would work on a no code repeater since it is transmitting. Thinking about ways to put a tone through the microphone but mike frequency response might be an issue.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 4:40 PM, Geoff <vk3zgw@...> wrote:

[...]

James Johnston

Maybe dumb question, but does the repeater require Encode/Decode on the ctcss? Are you opening the repeater, but not hearing the signal?

Jim Johnston

On Apr 17, 2019, at 18:27, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

[...]

If you have an older scanner you can  dial in your tx freq and actually hear the encode tone quite clearly. Sure, a service monitor is conclusive but this works in a pinch, especially with a freq counter connected to the earphone jack for PL tone readout.

73,
Mike WB6JKV

Sent from my Verizon, Galaxy S8+ smartphone

Yes I can hear the 7000 on the 530 so I know that the 7000 is transmitting.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:18 PM, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

Kurt,
I had a similar problem with hitting a 440 repeater with one of my Ic7000s.
The problem was that although I could key the transmitter and power was being sent out the receiver was not working on the 70 cm band.
Do you know you are putting out power?

I assume the transmitter is drawing more current on transmit, but I have a power meter for VHF / UHF but no signal generator to prove the reverse.
Are you putting out power? Can you check with a HT?

jadief@reagan.com

1. Confirm w/the repeater's owner the actual repeater's receiver's decode CTCSS frequency. 100 Hz may be the preferred tone in some areas but I have found many New England  rptrs use 162.2 or 71.9.

2. Make certain the mobile's CTCSS encode tone's level is meeting spec; e.g. older commercial equip. set a CTCSS tone level at 0.75 KHz deviation.

73,

John Diefenbach, K1TLV

Lic. since 1959

FCC 2nd Class Radio-Phone since '62

GE Mobile Comms svc work since the '60s

The repeater requires a tone. It seems that most do with the default tone being 100.0 Hz.
Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 3:38 AM, Dave Sherron <DSher335.z@...> wrote:

Does the repeater require a tone?

On Apr 17, 2019, at 12:59 AM, Kurt Sweeny <damele@...> wrote:

I have had my 7000 for 11 great years but never tried 2M repeater work. I have confirmed the radio transmits on the input frequency but will not key the repeater. Have triple check parameters ( doesn't mean it is still operator error).
using my Yaseu FT-530 I can use the repeater ( which I guess just provesI can use the 530.)

Could the tone generating capability not be working? Seems very unlikely.

Any help appreciated.
kurt
KD6LZ

Kurt Sweeny

James,

I can hear other stations on the repeater output frequency so I am pretty sure that I am not letting the machine.

Kurt

On Apr 17, 2019, at 9:31 AM, jadief@... via Groups.Io <jadief@...> wrote:

[...]

John,

Thanks. Is there a way to check CTCSS tone level is meeting spec on the 7000 ?
The rig was purchase in 2008 or 9.