Topics

IC7K locked up

Joe Humet

I went to turn on my rig the other day and I am unable to change the Freq. It's locked.
I have been through the manual and can't find anything on it. Any ideas before I pack it up and send it out?

Tnx Joe
K2DS

N3EA

Make sure you're not in some menu item where the frequency knob does other things. For example, if you have the QS menu set up to the power output setting you won't be able to change frequencies since the big knob is used to adjust power while in that menu. So, be sure you don't have the rig in something like that.
73,

Al, N3EA

Paul Hansen

Reset it. If you still have the problem it might be a defective encoder.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road

Tucker, GA 30084

(864) 222-3539 office

www.amateurradioservice.com

I went to turn on my rig the other day and I am unable to change the Freq. It's locked.
I have been through the manual and can't find anything on it. Any ideas before I pack it up and send it out?

Tnx Joe
K2DS

ZL2AAA

Check that the lock is not ON just below the tuning knob to the left.
73 Morrie

On 28-Sep-19 2:45 AM, Joe Humet wrote:
I went to turn on my rig the other day and I am unable to change the Freq. It's locked.
I have been through the manual and can't find anything on it. Any ideas before I pack it up and send it out?

Tnx Joe
K2DS

Joe Humet

TNX All I will give that a try. I did the reset but that did nothing..

Charles Scott

Joe:

A long shot, but possible. There's been problems with the Logic Unit that causes a variety of problems. That's the metal-enclosed unit under the back-left of the top cover. I don't have specifics of what Icom thinks the problems are with it, but in my case after using the radio for quite some time it developed intermittent problems controlling various relays.

I pulled it and carefully cleaned the contacts. After doing this twice, the radio settled down when on my bench but still was questionable in my mobile. It's back on my bench now and working fine there and an IC-7100 is in the truck.

Icom service told me that the their solution was to replace the logic unit then (because all of the alignments settings are in the logic board) do a full alignment of the radio. That was more than the radio is worth, so I decided not to.

It's possible that you're having some issue as a result of problems with the Logic Unit or connections to the board below it. It's not hard to take the top off and remove then re-seat that unit to see if there's any change. (With power disconnected of course :)

Chuck - N8DNX

On 10/1/2019 3:41 PM, Joe Humet wrote:
TNX All I will give that a try. I did the reset but that did nothing..

Joe Humet

Tnx Chuck, I'll take a look at that.
How do you like the 7100??

Charles Scott

Joe:

So far so good. I'm still getting used to some of the differences between the radios, but for the most part the controls make sense.

The cool thing about it is that the control head fits snugly and securely into the pocket (if I can call it that) at the front of the console in my 2014 RAM 1500 without any mounting hardware. I'm still contemplating where to put the control head for my IC-2820 since that was somewhat displaced by the 7100 control head.

On the air it's pretty much flawless. The only thing I find curious is that I put in an external dual-needle watt/swr meter that I calibrated on my bench and found that it doesn't quite track with the SWR indication in the radio. Also checked this with my Bird meter and saw the same thing. I first realized this when I saw that the screwdriver tuner I'm using stopped at a solution that didn't look right on the external meters. That tuner gets SWR data from the radio and when looking at SWR on the radio display it is in fact tuning to a good low SWR. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of reactance in the radio between where it senses reflected power and the antenna connector. The difference can be like 1.5:1 vs 2.5:1. In any case, the radio otherwise seems happy with the tuning solutions. I'll have to take a look at the schematic for the 7100 some time soon.

I do still like the 7000 and will probably keep it and have been using it as another radio on my bench at home tied to a vertical at the back of the yard that has an AH-4 on it. My problem is figuring out how to add switching for some of the VHF/UHF antennas to the 7000 (it's a complicated setup).

So, yes, the 7100 is a pretty good radio. If there is anything I can say I don't like, it's the shape of the control head. While it fits the truck it would be better if it was a flat configuration so I could mount it along with the other radio control head. To set it on a desk they could have provided a plastic angled back to enable that.

Chuck - N8DNX

_