Topics

IC7000, SignalLink USB, and FT8

K5ZM

HI all….

I’ve been considering getting something together for FT8. I’ve a 7000 here on the desk that hasn’t been powered on since 2008 -literally. I recently purchased the SignaLink USB with the intent of getting the two to play nicely with each other. Part of me wonders if this is even worth pursuing. Has anyone had success on FT8 with this combo? Does Icom still make firmware updates available for this rig? (Surely, there’ve been a couple in the last decade!)

Or should I just go for the 7300 (in lieu of a K3S that I’ll most likely never be able to afford)?

Tnx es 73

Ian, K5ZM

Robert Hanson

I have logged almost 2000 contacts and have 87 countries since June with my 7000 and a signalink into a vertical.
There is no need for spectrum display and all the other great features of the 7300 when working FT8
The CAT control takes care of band changes.
My 7000 sat for several years as well. I feel better putting it to good use.

Put it to use and have fun.

73
  W6RH

Go for it!
I have an Ic7000 with signal link and a CAT-IV (read Radio Shack programming ) cable and I work the FT-8 etc and it works well.
If ypu don't want to use the radio and feel that it is lonely, send to to me and I will keep it company!
I don't think that there are any firmware updates or at least no one I know has heard anything about one.

PETER CLEALL <peter.cleall@...>

I have used 7000 with signallink for several years for many forms of digital including FT8. I have had my 7000 for 10yrs and never been aware of a firmware update.

Regards

Peter g8afn

Mark Brueggemann

From: K5ZM <k5zm@...>

> I recently purchased the SignaLink USB with the intent of getting the two to play nicely with each other.

I have two Signalinks, and they play well with my 756, 746, 706 and 7000.

> Does Icom still make firmware updates available for this rig?

Icom's idea of a firmware update is to sell you a new radio.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

WA8Y Steven

Of course it works.  I used the data port (not the Accessory port) on the IC-7000.  And SignaLink sold me a DIP programming plug (I have one for another rig also).

Latest firmware updates are free at the Icom Website.

73, Steven WA8Y