Topics

IC7000 50 Mhz power output

Ing. Juan Carlos Parra

Hello everybody,

Perhaps it is an old question.

As user manual said, the nominal  output power in 1.8-50 Mhz should be between 2-100 W.

All is ok until 28 Mhz in my rig, but in 50 Mhz power only reach 50W.

It is a my rig failure, or a manual spec mistake ?

best regards

logoPARRAconsultores

Ing. Juan Carlos Parra    Chacabuco 2312  (B1636AZF)  OLIVOS   Prov. de Buenos Aires  Argentina
(  TEL :  4791-5935  Ê  FAX :  4796-5911  È  Cel: 15-5638-5046

*   ing@...    8  www.parraconsultores.com.ar

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Alan, AB6C

Are you sure that:

1. Your RF OUTPUT POWER is not set at 50W RF OUT in the menu for 50MHz (rather than at 100W out), or that:

2. You are in AM mode, as that mode limits you to 40W RF out  maximum in AM.

Factory spec is 100W RF Output power from HF to 50MHz.

Otherwise it would seem that there may be trouble afoot. The IC-7000 is known for having RF driver failures, which almost all the time seems to be accompanied with an HF or VHF or UHF power amplifier transistor failure as well. I know from experience as my 7000 one day about 5 years ago, "died" unexpectedly, without any warning of any kind. Just wouldn't transmit on any band as the driver feeds all 3 PA transistors. Sure enough, the driver did die, and (wanting company, haha) took the UHF PA transistor along with it. Sent it in to SARTS in MI for repair and had both replaced at my expense of course. It's been fine since, so I keep my fingers crossed, but in the last 5 years its still been working fine. I've never run it as a base, only mobile, and overall, I've been very happy with it.

I've hopefully attached a photo of the spec copied from the latest IC-7000 brochure printed.

Alan, AB6C

don ---------

Rember Specification. 50 ohm dummyload

Antenna is not normally 50 ohms.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Pasquale S

Hi guys

check also your cable with fuse, often these fuses give some trouble to PA stage.

try with a short cable without fuses and on dummy load. Icom 7000 should run with 100 watt in 50 MHz.

Regards

73s Pasquale IW0HEX

Visita la mia homepage
http://home.teletu.it/iw0hex
73s de IW0HEX Pasquale

Sent: Monday, November 04, 2019 7:28 PM

[...]

Mail priva di virus. www.avast.com

Oh yes I have played with fuses twice
They caused my half power issue

I tore apart fuse holder and cleaned ther solderd crimp conection  no issue after soldering  crimp.

Sent: Monday, November 04, 2019 7:28 PM

[...]

Don, you are sooooooo right!!! I totally forgot about the fuse "situation", not to mention as you said, if it ain't going into 50 ohms, all bets are off. I remember removing the Icom fuse holders and installing high quality heavy duty fuse holders. What a difference that made. And I always use a dummy load and measure with my N8LP LP-100A. No matter what my load is, I at least know that the RF wattage and VSWR I measured is accurate.

73, Alan, AB6C