Hello to the group, and an IC-7000 problem.

hrd998cc

Hello all.  This is Russ Williams, KW6T.  I was first licensed in 1985 and have been active since 2003.  I am in Latrobe, California about 15 miles from the current "Caldor" forest fire. The smoke is a real problem here.  I have a short bio on QRZ.

I was given an IC-7000 that has a couple of problems.  After testing the rig, it seems to work "OK",  but it has a constant, pulsing low-level white noise on all bands that is louder in the AM mode than others.  The white noise pulses are not just random noise, they are like "dahs" at about 10 WPM.  It has good output on all bands except 12 and 10 meters; I am assuming that it is a driver/PA issue and should be relatively straightforward to repair.  Perhaps the issues are related?

If anyone has any clues as to where I should begin looking, has resolved this receive problem, or just wants to say hello, please respond.  To my knowledge, these are historically good radios, and this one would be a perfect mobile radio for my 4Runner.

Note:  This radio has been "MARS" modded and I believe it was used on 11 meters. (Not by me).

Thank you.
Russ
KW6T

Does it do this without an antenna attached?

hrd998cc

J.D.  Thanks for the question.  I tried both attached and not--no difference.

This is my first experience with the 7000, so please bear with me.  I reset the radio, and the noise disappeared.  Pressing the down menu button, the noise starts again when the scope is present.  It stops when the HLD is pressed. Is this normal?

Further testing:  The display seems fine.  Frequencies seem to be accurate.  Receive on 2m and 70cm is very low.  It will not receive a local repeater.  However, it will receive my HT at close range.  Something in the front end, I assume.

Receive on the HF bands seems normal; I cannot test 6 meters at the moment.   Still no TX on 12 and 10 meters.

Thank you.
73,
Russ KW6T

On Sunday, 29 August 2021, 03:07:01 pm GMT-7, J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:

Does it do this without an antenna attached?

Stephen Dubin

There is a pulsating sound associated with the scope, especially when the sweep speed is high. I think there is a menu item to decrease this sound.

VY 73 de W3UEC
Steve Dubin
A clear conscience is usually the result of a weak memory.

In a message dated 8/29/2021 6:47:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, hrd998cc@... writes:

the noise starts again when the scope is present.  It stops when the HLD is pressed. Is this normal?

Dale Barnes

I would say your dah problem is the bandscope. Change the lower part of the display off the bandscope on to another option it will go away. This is the slow processing process in the 7k. The bandscope is a useless feature anyway.

There is a pulsating sound associated with the scope, especially when the sweep speed is high. I think there is a menu item to decrease this sound.

VY 73 de W3UEC
Steve Dubin
A clear conscience is usually the result of a weak memory.
In a message dated 8/29/2021 6:47:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, hrd998cc@... writes:

the noise starts again when the scope is present.  It stops when the HLD is pressed. Is this normal?

That is normal with the scope scanning

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021, 5:47 PM hrd998cc via groups.io <hrd998cc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

N5ODX

sounds like the band scope is scanning, try turning off the band scope or pause the scan

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:
Does it do this without an antenna attached?

Tom Bohacek

--
"Any man who is under 30 and is not a liberal has not heart; and any man who is over 30 and is not a conservative, has no brains."
Winston Churchill

Tom Bohacek

hrd998cc

Thank you Bill and the group.  Yes.  It was the scope.  Still have very low level receive on 2m and 70cm, and no TX on 12 and 10 meters.

&3,
Russ
KW6T

On Sunday, 29 August 2021, 06:06:43 pm GMT-7, N5ODX <bill.kg4odx@...> wrote:

sounds like the band scope is scanning, try turning off the band scope or pause the scan

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM J.D. Barron <jeter.d.barron@...> wrote:
Does it do this without an antenna attached?

Ken N6PCD

Hello Russ, and welcome to the group! Should you need to have the 7000 repaired, may I humbly suggest contacting Scott Malcolm of MTS Radio Repair. Scott has repaired several icom radios for me, including my IC-7000, and I am very pleased with his work, turn around time, and prices. Cheers!

http://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

Glenn Jensen

I second that... Scott repaired my 7K (quick turn, completely reasonable pricing).

73's,

Glenn WA6BJQ

On 8/30/2021 10:58 AM, Ken N6PCD wrote:

Hello Russ, and welcome to the group! Should you need to have the 7000 repaired, may I humbly suggest contacting Scott Malcolm of MTS Radio Repair. Scott has repaired several icom radios for me, including my IC-7000, and I am very pleased with his work, turn around time, and prices. Cheers!

http://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

hrd998cc

Thank you, gentlemen.  I have sent Scott an email.

73,
Russ
KW6T

On Monday, 30 August 2021, 08:41:21 am GMT-7, Glenn Jensen <wa6bjq@...> wrote:

I second that... Scott repaired my 7K (quick turn, completely reasonable pricing).

73's,

Glenn WA6BJQ

On 8/30/2021 10:58 AM, Ken N6PCD wrote:

Hello Russ, and welcome to the group! Should you need to have the 7000 repaired, may I humbly suggest contacting Scott Malcolm of MTS Radio Repair. Scott has repaired several icom radios for me, including my IC-7000, and I am very pleased with his work, turn around time, and prices. Cheers!

http://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

--
All the best,
Ken N6PCD

kc0aqe13

I have sent my IC 7000 to Malcom also along with IC 703, Yesau etc. and am very pieased with his work and honesty.

hrd998cc

Thank you for the support.  I sent the radio out to him this morning.  Hoping it can be repaired.
Thanks
Russ KW6T

On Tuesday, 31 August 2021, 08:16:47 am GMT-7, kc0aqe13 via groups.io <kc0aqe13@...> wrote:

I have sent my IC 7000 to Malcom also along with IC 703, Yesau etc. and am very pieased with his work and honesty.

Mister Mike

I also recommend Scott /MTS highly.