Headset and bluetooth

Phil Baird

Has anyone out there figured out a way to  connect a Bluetooth headset (ie Jabra) to the ic-7000?  I suppose the rx would be easy enough just using a Bluetooth adapter to the audio out (earphone jack). The tx, however, would involve more especially configuring it to work with the with or without vox.  Such a setup would be ideal for going mobile.

Thanks and 73, de Phil, n6qca, in Prescott, AZ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Look forward to learning more about my 7000

Steve W3AHL

Search the Group's Messages for Bluetooth and you'll see 119 prior posts.

Steve, W3AHL

WA8Y Steven

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BFIxFbEXENQVD

Tried BT again. This one was recommended in my Flex group.  Too much latency for CW.  I'm returning it.
Steven WA8Y

Steve W3AHL

Look for BT headphones and adapters that support "aptx Low Latency"  protocols.  Latency is less than 40 ms.

Steve, W3AHL

WA8Y Steven

OK thanks,
I order a TX+RX I'll give'm a try.
Steven WA8Y

Laurin Cavender

There is a Chinese circuit board that interfaces bt to audio in audio out it is usually used for intercom type applications but is 600 ohms so should be fine just use vox. WB4IVG Laurin

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, 23:10 Phil Baird via groups.io <mypactor=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Has anyone out there figured out a way to  connect a Bluetooth headset (ie Jabra) to the ic-7000?  I suppose the rx would be easy enough just using a Bluetooth adapter to the audio out (earphone jack). The tx, however, would involve more especially configuring it to work with the with or without vox.  Such a setup would be ideal for going mobile.

Thanks and 73, de Phil, n6qca, in Prescott, AZ

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
Look forward to learning more about my 7000

Phil Baird

Laurin, sounds interesting. Do you have any more info?  Company name, url?

DunhamsDen

If you would like a real world wireless headset you might check into these articles.  I am very happy with mine and it has GREAT range!

WA8Y Steven

Thanks for the tip.  I lost my day to a couple of other projects.  I received the new Low Latency Bluetooth transmitter and receiver for my RadioSport RS60 Deluxe Dream Edition headset.

With latency under 40mS I hope it doesn't throw off my times (hearing the sidetone) while sending CW.  I'm pretty sure 40mS will still work in a Contest situation (pressing F keys from N1MM+).

Steve WA8Y

On 9/16/2020 2:33 PM, DunhamsDen wrote:
If you would like a real world wireless headset you might check into these articles.  I am very happy with mine and it has GREAT range!

WA8Y Steven

Ok, tonight I set up the Avantree HT3187 "Low Latency" Bluetooth TX (and RX that came with it).  It was easy to pair the two and right away I started hearing FT8 signals from my radio.  So I switched to CW gave them a test.  First I just grabbed a pair of wire (cord) headphones and plugged them into the RX.
Hey, it works, I kept sending L dit Dah dit dit dit, was that due to my fist or latency, I think its my fist. I needed to increase my sidetone (yeah, that's why I was sending an extra dit, ha).  I was getting too much shack noise so I switch to the headset that I always use, my RadioSport Deluxe "Dream Edition" RS60CF Headset (with M350 mic, which I still won't be able to use on SSB with out a cord).  But hey it works!
I will try them again tomorrow and I'll post an Amazon link to them.
Steven WA8Y
It works!

WA8Y Steven

This morning I paired my Bose Bluetooth headset with the Avantree Priva III "low latency" (40mS) transmitter.  I can hear my rig just fine but latency is added my Bose headset, its a no go for CW (I definitly send an extra dit or two).  Its simply not useable unless you are  typing F keys to send messages.
Now what I can do is use their Bluetooth receiver (the Clipper Pro, BTHS-AS7(L) ) and use my Bose headset in wire mode.  That's how I used my RadioSport headset last night.  Even that's no goodthis morning.  And I cannot leave the Bose Headset paired at the same time with their BT "low latency" RX.  And even it has too much latency this morning.

I cycled the power to the Avantree BT TX.  Still too much latency.  I did some research of CW, and the length of time needed for one dit at 13 wpm is 50mS.   I rarely send at less than 26 wpm.  If my brief Wikipedia research is correct, one dit at 26 wpm would be 25mS.
So the latency is the cause of my poor timing.  With Bluetooth, there is just too much signal processing.   And that causes the delay or latency.  We need faster computers (ha!).

After my first Bluetooth try several years ago, I got to thinking about analog wireless mics I've used.   But the good ones aren't cheap and the newest one are all digital.

DunhamsDens device (see his post above) is the type of wireless device I want try next.  It can make a wireless connection in analog (minimal processing).  Others are using it and have not reported any RFI  (probably because the freq is not a harmonic of the ham bands, the RX frequency is so far away from the HF ham bands and is selective enough the filter out the ham bands.

Oh well, for now its back to the cord (wired headsets).