Getting ready for digital control for radio to laptop

nsauerbier11148

What are easy (and cheap) way to get radio to laptop control? Also what cable and laptop do I need. Just getting started. Thanks  kc2mzw

Robie - AJ4F

Yes.

USB to CIV converter - many on ebay.  This will provide rig control and TR switching.  Setup your software PTT control via CAT.  < $25

13 pin DIN to 3.5 mm audio cable - available from Hamdaptor, again on ebay < $15

USB sound card (dongle) - available from many places, < $15

WSJTX software - download for free; get on groups.io WSJTX mail list, great place for support.

I use this setup with my ASUS windows 10 laptop.  It works very well.

I have about $50 invested in this setup.  You could do it cheaper if you try.  There are also many other approaches, many of which will work well.  Some are a lot more expensive.  Each approach has its tradeoffs.

You will have a learning curve to get everything coordinated, but that's the point. You will learn what to do!

I have no financial interest in anything I've mentioned here.

Good luck,

Robie - AJ4F

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 7:14 AM nsauerbier11148 <nsauerbier11148@...> wrote:
What are easy (and cheap) way to get radio to laptop control? Also what cable and laptop do I need. Just getting started. Thanks  kc2mzw

nsauerbier11148

Thanks, I have been looking for a laptop right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

[...]

Jim Farley, KG4FXV

I have found some good deals on refurbished computers, laptops and desktops, at TigerDirectB2B, tigerdirect.com.  All of the computers that my Wife and I use are from Tiger Direct.

I get their E-Mail ads daily and often hang on to them for a few days.  I have, on several occasions, gone back to an older ad and found an item on the website with the notes saying only 2 or only 3 left.

Jim Farley

JIM FARLEY
, KG4FXV

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 9:59:30 AM EDT, nsauerbier11148 <nsauerbier11148@...> wrote:

Thanks, I have been looking for a laptop right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

When I was a maintenance manager I also used Tiger Direct to buy a lot of computer equipment. Good prices and good service back a few years ago.

--
J.D. Barron