Topics

First demo of the TFT Touch screen demo of the ATAS-100/120 Controller for ICOM

VE2DX

This is very early release of the user interface, as a reminder there will be 4 variation of the packaging;

1- with no display and maybe a couple of status LEDs (very Small)
2- 2X16 LCD display
3- 4X20 LCD display

all of the above using same pcb very small

and finally...

4- the full fledge color unit with touch screen

The user interface for the last one is what I was working on this week, I dont think at this time that it will run on the same pcb, unless I find another TFT screen with simpler interfacing with less wires like I2C i guess (wich I never played with, never stopped me before...!)

so here is the YouTube link for the demo.

very early version please no yelling (yet!)

73

Richard VE2DX

Phil-2E0ZDX

Cant see a link ?

montanaaardvark

I couldn't see a link inline either, but I went to YouTube and searched on his call.

This appears to be it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxo5KUfbVTE

I hope this posts!

VE2DX

Yes that is the correct link...

Well on that subject my first housing was FAR from being a succes!

But learning from scratch and my MANY mistakes and with great help to assist me I think we will all love the new housing, I got both done (IMK1 and IAC1), we should be printing them over the weekend.

73

Richard VE2DX

Mark Brueggemann

Just an opinion of a ~20 year user of an ATAS antenna:

If I could build the ideal controller for it, there would be no display.  I don't want another box I have to mount, run cables to, then watch and manipulate when going down the road.  The ATAS controller I picture is a black box that resides near the transceiver body for DC, CIV and coax connection, then has a small remote "pendant" I mount near the radio control head that shows controller status.  This would be as simple as a couple LED's, or a single multicolor LED.  For extra credit the indicator would be the LED already in the control head TUNE pushbutton, if it's controllable via CIV.  The only user control I might want would be an override switch for manual up/down tuning.  Under normal operation the controller would be transparent to the user - it would track the antenna to sync with VFO tuning and initiate a re-tune for band changes, and signal the user with the LED when it's ready.  The controller I use today is very simple, an up/down toggle and pushbutton to key the radio.  Anything more complex than that is a non starter for me, this has worked very well for almost 20 years.  So in order for me to be interested in an ATAS controller, it has to be even more simple than an inch square size box with two switches, hence the idea of a hands-off black box.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

VE2DX

Thanks for the feedback Mark,

I fully agree with you, the TFT color screen is me having fun (Understatement!), I am thinking of a version running off an Arduino namo (Hypersmall) or ESP32 (even smaller) that is EXACTLY what you discribed, put a couple of SO239 back to back add about an inch or so for the rest of the hardware and put it in the back of the radio, my problem is the status LEDs and switch (One LED Ready/Tune/Error (using colors to id status) and yes a manual switch) I need to put those in the correct place and I agree that it should be near the hear or on the head of the radio, just have not address those issues yet!

The good news is that 95% of the code I am working on now will also be used in the baby version (HEY! thats a GREAT name IACBaby1!!!) you see how bad I am...

what I did is worked on the IAC (Icom ATAS100/120 Controlor) first for basic control of the antenna and CI-V communication, then did some basic Color touch Screen code, switched to IMK (Icom Memory Keypad) for more advance screen design, and now am working on the 3D casing for the two big one, which I think is done printing them this weekend.

Next is further CI-V traffic managment code for both projects.

Release of the IMK1 first followed by IAC1, and soon after IACBaby and I think this one is what you are thinking of (I hope!)

God I really need to make these shorther!!!

Here is a question for you Mark, dual speed antenna movement Yes or NO? I can change the speed by playing with the up and
down voltages it is quite easy to do, I am thinking of doing so to slow down the antenna when near lowest SWR to help the tuning sequence.

What do you think is it worth it...

--
:D Only the Best ICOM, ERC and HRD
Follow my projects on www.facebook.com/VE2DX/

Richard VE2DX, Jesus Island, PQ-014

Mark Brueggemann

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 08:05:52 AM MST, VE2DX <ve2dx@...> wrote:

> the TFT color screen is me having fun (Understatement!),

For development or diagnostics it's great to have a display, and would likely leave that code in place if there's memory space so that a display could be optionally plugged in if one wanted to.

> Next is further CI-V traffic managment code for both projects.

I know the 706 doesn't have everything controllable via CIV as the front panel, hopefully there's enough there to get done what you need.

> dual speed antenna movement Yes or NO?

Might help with fine tuning on 40M, the other bands I don't find too touchy at standard operating speed.  I can see that adjusting the voltage could net variable speed control but I would have to wonder about differences between antennas, or operating temperature.  Since there's no hall sensor for feedback to know the motor is turning just setting a given voltage point may not work with all antennas in all conditions.  Unless of course you've got some way to detect it's turning (current sense?) and can dynamically adjust the slow setpoint as you go.  I don't see this as being a direct user benefit so in my view if you can adequately vector in on a match on 40M at the standard tune rate then slowing it down only makes the process slower.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM