Display


ZL2AAA
 

Hi All My ic7000 is not showing anything on the display no frequency etc.It does receive the squelch works and if you are lucky you can sometimes find a frequency that is in use and copy the audio.This has happened before after it was left turned for most of the day but is now becoming more frequent.If it does come on by sliding the font panel off I can measure 3.3 v on one pin on the radio side.Any help appreciated
73 Morrie


Hoffy
 

Hi Morrie, I had a similar problem with my 7000, I ended up replacing the ribbons but you might want to try just sliding them around a little within the sockets without actually pulling them out. These ribbons are all getting a bit long in the tooth now and by replacing all of them, most of my intermittent problems vanished.

73s & Good Luck,

Hoffy - VK4OY//

On 24/11/2021 12:05, ZL2AAA wrote:
Hi All My ic7000 is not showing anything on the display no frequency etc.It does receive the squelch works and if you are lucky you can sometimes find a frequency that is in use and copy the audio.This has happened before after it was left turned for most of the day but is now becoming more frequent.If it does come on by sliding the font panel off I can measure 3.3 v on one pin on the radio side.Any help appreciated
73 Morrie



--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Robert Seastream
 

Greetings:

I have found that removing the front panel, then using Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the mating contacts on both the panel AND the transceiver chassis will fix this and other similar problems.  The contact surface area is so small that the slightest amount of dust, muck, etc., can cause problems.  I've had my 7K since 2009 (moving it between a house, car, RV, and boat over the years) and have had to do this a few times.

73,

Bob, WB2DWD

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 9:05 PM ZL2AAA <zl2aaa@...> wrote:
Hi All My ic7000 is not showing anything on the display no frequency
etc.It does receive the squelch works and if you are lucky you can
sometimes find a frequency that is in use and copy the audio.This has
happened before after it was left turned for most of the day but is now
becoming more frequent.If it does come on by sliding the font panel off
I can measure 3.3 v on one pin on the radio side.Any help appreciated
73 Morrie






ZL2AAA
 

Hi Bob Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately no cigar
Morrie

On 25/11/2021 2:36 am, Robert Seastream wrote:
Greetings:

I have found that removing the front panel, then using Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the mating contacts on both the panel AND the transceiver chassis will fix this and other similar problems.  The contact surface area is so small that the slightest amount of dust, muck, etc., can cause problems.  I've had my 7K since 2009 (moving it between a house, car, RV, and boat over the years) and have had to do this a few times.

73,

Bob, WB2DWD

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 9:05 PM ZL2AAA <zl2aaa@...> wrote:
Hi All My ic7000 is not showing anything on the display no frequency
etc.It does receive the squelch works and if you are lucky you can
sometimes find a frequency that is in use and copy the audio.This has
happened before after it was left turned for most of the day but is now
becoming more frequent.If it does come on by sliding the font panel off
I can measure 3.3 v on one pin on the radio side.Any help appreciated
73 Morrie







ZL2AAA
 

Hi Hoffy I sprayed some contact cleaner down the cables where I could as they were tight and I didn't want to do more damage as I have no spares.Appears to be working at the moment will just have to wait
Morrie

On 24/11/2021 4:51 pm, Hoffy wrote:
Hi Morrie, I had a similar problem with my 7000, I ended up replacing the ribbons but you might want to try just sliding them around a little within the sockets without actually pulling them out. These ribbons are all getting a bit long in the tooth now and by replacing all of them, most of my intermittent problems vanished.

73s & Good Luck,

Hoffy - VK4OY//

On 24/11/2021 12:05, ZL2AAA wrote:
Hi All My ic7000 is not showing anything on the display no frequency etc.It does receive the squelch works and if you are lucky you can sometimes find a frequency that is in use and copy the audio.This has happened before after it was left turned for most of the day but is now becoming more frequent.If it does come on by sliding the font panel off I can measure 3.3 v on one pin on the radio side.Any help appreciated
73 Morrie





 

Have you tried the video output to see if that is working?


Charles & Sandra Cohen <cpcohen1945@...>
 

I have found that removing the front panel, then using Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the mating contacts on both the panel AND the transceiver chassis will fix this and other similar problems.  The contact surface area is so small that the slightest amount of dust, muck, etc., can cause problems.  I've had my 7K since 2009 (moving it between a house, car, RV, and boat over the years) and have had to do this a few times.
 
73,
 
Bob, WB2DWD
 
FWIW --

That was my experience with an IC-706mk2, which uses the same "remote cable" connectors.  Q-Tips and alcohol is the first thing to try.

.         Charles / va7cpc

 


Robert Hanson
 

I use DeOxit on all connectors whenever I work on a radio or other electronics. 

https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

Widely used in pro recording studios and other locations where connections are critical.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=deoxit+d5&crid=3GL6VXQ5QLXUY&pldnSite=1&sprefix=deox%2Caps%2C275&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_4

It is a real problem solver and preventer. 

73
W6RH


Jack W9JH
 

I've had good success when using DeoxIT D5 for cleaning connections.

Jack - W9JH


ZL2AAA
 

I have sprayed the associated ribbon cables with contact cleaner and has been running for the last four days and still going so hope this is the last of the problem.
73 Morrie

On 25/11/2021 2:17 pm, J.D. Barron wrote:
Have you tried the video output to see if that is working?


RICHARD OLSON
 

I am so thankful for all of the tips and suggestions by this group. Don't have any of these problems yet but there is always a first time.

73es Richard W3RLO