Current drain while off

Tom

Hi

i have two IC7000 radios and I love them. I have one mobile in my car and it’s just great. However, I recall reading somewhere that even when the radio is “off” it’s still drawing a small current - enough to be a problem if the car is left standing for a length of time. I’ve had multiple times when my car battery died. I’m military and often away for a while. I do have a trickle charge solar panel that helps avoid this. 

So, does anyone know the current draw for this radio in its off position? 

I’m going to fit a switch into the power lead to isolate the system but it is useful to know. 

Happy New Year. 

73. Tom M0RMY 

I had three of them and never noticed, but then I did not run them mobile very much.
I suspect that the parasitic loads from the car itself are in the same order of magnitude.
I think that the radio just keeps the low power mode on the CPU alive so that pressing the power button is recognized by the radio and pulls in the power relay.
If you are to be gone for a long time you could just pull the + side fuse to kill the load. That would keep the contacts clean as well. 
Adding a switch is probably more work than I would do and adds another point of failure.
I sold all of my IC7000s and bought an IC7300. That radio is great, but I miss my colorful 7000 and its HF,VHF and UHF.
I bought a FT857 (dead) and resurrected it for the combo, but it is not a 7000.
Good luck and best regards,
JD
KE4MD

Mark Brueggemann

I recall when I measured my Icom 706 it was on the order of a milliamp.  I'm not next to my 7000 to measure it but I suspect it's similarly "not much".  A switch won't hurt but I suspect it won't solve your problem.  Vehicles themselves have significant parasitic current draws running all manner of their computers and wireless gadgets.  The easiest way to ensure a charged battery in a stored vehicle is to lift the negative lead.  If there's AC power available nearby, any of the contemporary "minder" or "tender" units connected while parked works very well.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

david vanhorn

If the battery is more than 3 or 4 years old, that is the most likely culprit.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 8:20 AM Mark Brueggemann via groups.io <qrq_cw=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I recall when I measured my Icom 706 it was on the order of a milliamp.  I'm not next to my 7000 to measure it but I suspect it's similarly "not much".  A switch won't hurt but I suspect it won't solve your problem.  Vehicles themselves have significant parasitic current draws running all manner of their computers and wireless gadgets.  The easiest way to ensure a charged battery in a stored vehicle is to lift the negative lead.  If there's AC power available nearby, any of the contemporary "minder" or "tender" units connected while parked works very well.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

--
K1FZY (WA4TPW) SK  9/29/37-4/13/15

Tom

Hi 

Thank you for the replies. It’s a simple Land Rover Defender so no fancy gadgets (alarm may well be a culprit too). I’ll test the standing current draw etc  

Happy New Year to you all

Tom 

montanaaardvark

I've owned my IC-7000 since 2007 and never heard of this!  Mine has spent its life on a series of AC powered supplies that are off far more than they're on (on a yearly basis).  I know there have been times when the power supply was off for a year or more and I've never seen any evidence of the radio forgetting anything.

What does the small current keep it from forgetting?   

Bob
--
W4ATM - 35 Miles south of the Kennedy Space Center
Retired RF Design Engineer
Now able to play with all the hobbies I never had enough time for

There is a small silver oxide battery in the logic unit to maintain the radio memory. When it goes the radio will lose it's memory when turned off, battery or power supply no or off.
You can tell because the time will reset as well.

When your clock resets every time y0u turn off your radio you will know that the battery needs replacement.
It may be that the battery does not keep the frequency memory alive. that may be stored in flash memory.
But the battery does keep the clock running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh7Eqt1JYY

Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO

Is there a way to get the remaining life of the battery? If it also holds the memory settings, I would hate to lose all of my memory settings – and it would be nice to replace the battery before that happens!

73 – K4CQO

Bob Hoffmann

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of J.D. Barron
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 4:12 PM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] Current drain while off

When your clock resets every time y0u turn off your radio you will know that the battery needs replacement.
It may be that the battery does not keep the frequency memory alive. that may be stored in flash memory.

david vanhorn

Nope!   And changing the battery will dump your info.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020, 3:22 PM Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO <rjhoffmann@...> wrote:

Is there a way to get the remaining life of the battery? If it also holds the memory settings, I would hate to lose all of my memory settings – and it would be nice to replace the battery before that happens!

73 – K4CQO

Bob Hoffmann

I believe that I was wrong and the battery may well be just for the clock.
I do know that the clock will reset every time the radio is turned off is the battery is dead.
I believe that the frequencies stored etc will be maintained in flash memory.
If my recollection is correct.
Sorry for the misinformation.
The battery is not too bad th change and it lives in the small silver box at the left rear of the main board.

Max

But wouldn't it also lose the settings as soon as you remove the old battery? You can't leave the rig powered up while replacing the battery because it requires too much disassembly.

To bury a battery deep inside a radio is asinine in my opinion. It could have been moved to a location where it was accessible by removing a cover and the battery should have had a plug on the end so no soldering would be involved.

Since most would have to send it in to have the battery replaced, this was likely done to generate more revenue.  

Max KG4PID

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 04:22:22 PM CST, Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO <rjhoffmann@...> wrote:

73 – K4CQO

Bob Hoffmann

Donald McRoberts

Edited

Here is an excellent video that shows how to change the battery. I've done it and it was rather easy to do. Just be careful to use good soldering techniques and handling of the components as they are removed and replaced.

Also, I do not remember losing any of the settings when replacing the battery. It's been several years since I did the replacement.

73 - Don - W3DRM

Steve W3AHL

Tom,

The current draw when the 7K is off is about 20 ma.   It bounces around some, but that seems to be the average current.

Also, there was a question about the coin battery used for the real time clock circuit (not other memory functitons).  It is a rechargeable manganese lithium battery, not silver oxide, (Part # ML920S/F9D) which is charged as long as power is supplied to the radio, even if it is turned off.  The batteries in my two 7K's lasted about 10 years.  I only use it to display UTC time.  They are available from Digikey for $2.16 each (Panasonic part # ML-920/DN).  It is soldered in with attached tabs, but easily replaced.  Just be careful not to short the battery leads together.

Steve, W3AHL

Tom

Steve - many thanks for the information. Most helpful. 

Happy New Year to all

Tom