Current drain while off

Tom

Hi

i have two IC7000 radios and I love them. I have one mobile in my car and it’s just great. However, I recall reading somewhere that even when the radio is “off” it’s still drawing a small current - enough to be a problem if the car is left standing for a length of time. I’ve had multiple times when my car battery died. I’m military and often away for a while. I do have a trickle charge solar panel that helps avoid this.

So, does anyone know the current draw for this radio in its off position?

I’m going to fit a switch into the power lead to isolate the system but it is useful to know.

Happy New Year.

73. Tom M0RMY

I had three of them and never noticed, but then I did not run them mobile very much.
I suspect that the parasitic loads from the car itself are in the same order of magnitude.
I think that the radio just keeps the low power mode on the CPU alive so that pressing the power button is recognized by the radio and pulls in the power relay.
If you are to be gone for a long time you could just pull the + side fuse to kill the load. That would keep the contacts clean as well.
Adding a switch is probably more work than I would do and adds another point of failure.
I sold all of my IC7000s and bought an IC7300. That radio is great, but I miss my colorful 7000 and its HF,VHF and UHF.
I bought a FT857 (dead) and resurrected it for the combo, but it is not a 7000.
Good luck and best regards,
JD
KE4MD

Mark Brueggemann

I recall when I measured my Icom 706 it was on the order of a milliamp.  I'm not next to my 7000 to measure it but I suspect it's similarly "not much".  A switch won't hurt but I suspect it won't solve your problem.  Vehicles themselves have significant parasitic current draws running all manner of their computers and wireless gadgets.  The easiest way to ensure a charged battery in a stored vehicle is to lift the negative lead.  If there's AC power available nearby, any of the contemporary "minder" or "tender" units connected while parked works very well.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

david vanhorn

If the battery is more than 3 or 4 years old, that is the most likely culprit.

--
K1FZY (WA4TPW) SK  9/29/37-4/13/15

Tom

Hi

Thank you for the replies. It’s a simple Land Rover Defender so no fancy gadgets (alarm may well be a culprit too). I’ll test the standing current draw etc

Happy New Year to you all

Tom

montanaaardvark

I've owned my IC-7000 since 2007 and never heard of this!  Mine has spent its life on a series of AC powered supplies that are off far more than they're on (on a yearly basis).  I know there have been times when the power supply was off for a year or more and I've never seen any evidence of the radio forgetting anything.

What does the small current keep it from forgetting?

73,
Bob
--
W4ATM - 35 Miles south of the Kennedy Space Center
Retired RF Design Engineer

There is a small silver oxide battery in the logic unit to maintain the radio memory. When it goes the radio will lose it's memory when turned off, battery or power supply no or off.
You can tell because the time will reset as well.

When your clock resets every time y0u turn off your radio you will know that the battery needs replacement.
It may be that the battery does not keep the frequency memory alive. that may be stored in flash memory.
But the battery does keep the clock running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh7Eqt1JYY

Bob Hoffmann, K4CQO

Is there a way to get the remaining life of the battery? If it also holds the memory settings, I would hate to lose all of my memory settings – and it would be nice to replace the battery before that happens!

73 – K4CQO

Bob Hoffmann

When your clock resets every time y0u turn off your radio you will know that the battery needs replacement.
It may be that the battery does not keep the frequency memory alive. that may be stored in flash memory.
But the battery does keep the clock running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh7Eqt1JYY

david vanhorn

Nope!   And changing the battery will dump your info.