Control Head Separation Cable

Larrie

Is it possible to make your own head separation cable?  Are the connectors available?  A check on the internet shows these cables to be pretty much extinct.

Larrie
AF7NU

wb0m

"Is it possible to make your own head separation cable?  Are the connectors available?  A check on the internet shows these cables to be pretty much extinct."

Larrie
AF7NU

Great question Larrie. In all the years I’ve been part of the 7K group, I’ve never heard anyone talk about buying the separation cable connectors. Which does not bode well for finding them.
Have you tried Icom in Seattle? The next best thing may be asking on a QTH.com or QRZ.com swap-meet site.

GL & 73,

Jeff/wb0m
Nebraska

David's Gmail

I’m looking for one too. I wonder if it’s possible to connect to the pcb 

One could make the cable----If one could find connectors. There is a German company that makes cables based on a special HDMI cable and connectors. Sometimes they are listed on eBay.
I currently don't see on on the internet. 
It worked only with the HDMI cable that came with it and I think it was only 2 meters long IIRC.
The real issue would be with the special connectors.

Glenn Jensen

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of J.D. Barron
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 6:28 AM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] Control Head Separation Cable

One could make the cable----If one could find connectors. There is a German company that makes cables based on a special HDMI cable and connectors. Sometimes they are listed on eBay.
I currently don't see on on the internet. 
It worked only with the HDMI cable that came with it and I think it was only 2 meters long IIRC.
The real issue would be with the special connectors.

Doug Stewart

Dimitrii, DM5AL, still offered these kits on a limited basis. I bought mine this fall after getting on his reservation list. Not sure if he still does. 

https://dm5al.de/index.php

Doug

N2BEG

From: ic7000@groups.io <ic7000@groups.io> On Behalf Of David's Gmail via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 7:46 AM
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ic7000] Control Head Separation Cable

[External]

I’m looking for one too. I wonder if it’s possible to connect to the pcb 

Steve Koman

The cables show up on eBay every so often. You can setup a search on eBay with the correct search terms and SAVE it.
Choose to be notified by email and text. You might need to be patient; it could take months, but one day, you will get a notice
and you will need to be prepared to pounce.     Worst case, you can make something out of a damaged cable.

I also believe that eBay has some business intelligence software such that - when you created the 'saved search' - in the background
eBay contacts sellers who either have sold those cables before or sold IC-7000 related things. It encourages them to 're-list' etc
This cycle could take 2 months. I have witnessed this about 3 times.

73 and stay SAFE !   de N0SCK 

Tom

Hi These are very rare. I have a permanent search on eBay set up for them. As said previously they do occasionally come up for sake at about £70-80 minimum. I did a bit of a search and found this: 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4583814

If you have access to a 3D printer it might make a good project!! 

Good luck!! 

David's Gmail

that's interesting, I do have a 3D printer .

Tom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284102959284

This is an alternative also. 
Hope you are successful. 

Tom M0RMY