connecting external monitor

AB2E Darrell

Hi all,
I'm hoping to connect a small external monitor (6" or 7").
It looks like the 3.5mm female plug on the back of the 7000 would feed to a typical yellow RCA plug.
I saw this box which looks like it would do the trick, since I did not find an adapter online.

If you're using a different type of hookup please email me.

On a separate note, it appears the shield for the 60m diode mod to open up the band is securely fastened to the board.
Does anyone know if there is a trick or workaround to removing it to get to the SMT diode to remove it?
At this point I'm afraid to proceed for fear of cracking the traces if the board bends too far.
73 Darrell AB2E

Robert Seastream

Darrell:

I just use a cable with a standard 1/8 inch male plug to RCA male plug between the radio and monitor.  Never had a problem.

73,

Bob, WB2DWD

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 1:57 AM AB2E Darrell <ab2e@...> wrote:
Hi all,
I'm hoping to connect a small external monitor (6" or 7").
It looks like the 3.5mm female plug on the back of the 7000 would feed to a typical yellow RCA plug.
I saw this box which looks like it would do the trick, since I did not find an adapter online.

If you're using a different type of hookup please email me.

On a separate note, it appears the shield for the 60m diode mod to open up the band is securely fastened to the board.
Does anyone know if there is a trick or workaround to removing it to get to the SMT diode to remove it?
At this point I'm afraid to proceed for fear of cracking the traces if the board bends too far.
73 Darrell AB2E

Dallas N4DDM

This assumes Darrell has or has access to a monitor that has the YELLOW composite video jack...  Without one of those, he would need the device to convert Composite Video to HDMI or VGA...

73 Dallas N4DDM

Joe Krout

That should work, Assuming the monitor you are connecting to does not have a Analog Composite input jack (Generally a yellow RCA jack.)  another alternative, if looking at small monitors, is to use an automotive backup camera monitor.
Here's an example Amazon search. This has the advantage of running off your 12 volt powersupply.

73
Joe KR0UT

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 12:57 AM AB2E Darrell <ab2e@...> wrote:
Hi all,
I'm hoping to connect a small external monitor (6" or 7").
It looks like the 3.5mm female plug on the back of the 7000 would feed to a typical yellow RCA plug.
I saw this box which looks like it would do the trick, since I did not find an adapter online.

If you're using a different type of hookup please email me.

On a separate note, it appears the shield for the 60m diode mod to open up the band is securely fastened to the board.
Does anyone know if there is a trick or workaround to removing it to get to the SMT diode to remove it?
At this point I'm afraid to proceed for fear of cracking the traces if the board bends too far.
73 Darrell AB2E

Danny K5CG

The device listed at amazon here will NOT work. It requires a VGA input. Right there in the description...

VGA To RCA Adapter

As others have already mentioned, a TV with a composite input is the simplest solution, otherwise you'll need a converter from Composite to whatever your monitor has for inputs.

For example, Composite to VGA...

Danny

I'm hoping to connect a small external monitor (6" or 7").
It looks like the 3.5mm female plug on the back of the 7000 would feed to a typical yellow RCA plug.
I saw this box which looks like it would do the trick, since I did not find an adapter online.

If you're using a different type of hookup please email me.

On a separate note, it appears the shield for the 60m diode mod to open up the band is securely fastened to the board.
Does anyone know if there is a trick or workaround to removing it to get to the SMT diode to remove it?
At this point I'm afraid to proceed for fear of cracking the traces if the board bends too far.
73 Darrell AB2E

AB2E Darrell

Danny,
Thanks for the tips, appreciated.
73
Darrell AB2E

I'm hoping to connect a small external monitor (6" or 7").
It looks like the 3.5mm female plug on the back of the 7000 would feed to a typical yellow RCA plug.
I saw this box which looks like it would do the trick, since I did not find an adapter online.

If you're using a different type of hookup please email me.

On a separate note, it appears the shield for the 60m diode mod to open up the band is securely fastened to the board.
Does anyone know if there is a trick or workaround to removing it to get to the SMT diode to remove it?
At this point I'm afraid to proceed for fear of cracking the traces if the board bends too far.
73 Darrell AB2E

Tom Courtney

Just know there is two different video standards used in the 7k NTSC for the US version and PAL in UK/OZ version

On 28 Mar 2023, at 1:51 am, Danny K5CG <k5cg@...> wrote:

[...]

Marek SP9TKW

My car has already monitor for iCar or GoogleCar etc... is there a way to connect to it?

Joe Krout

Connecting to an existing in car monitor is probably a hands on research project.
Really to broad of a question to answer here.

You would need for the monitor to have a composite video signal jack available that is
compatible with your IC-7000 composite output.
NTSC for US/Canada, PAL for Europe for examples,

If it is a factory installed backup camera, you're probably out of luck.
If it is an aftermarket system, there could be an option for a secondary input.
Check your manual for the device, or dig into the dash are options.
Third option is to consult an shop that does entertainment systems for automobiles.

Joe KR0UT

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 9:21 AM Marek SP9TKW <sp9tkw@...> wrote:
My car has already monitor for iCar or GoogleCar etc... is there a way to connect to it?

Carmen

Just be aware..going much larger than 7" and the resolution will be unacceptable. I connected to a standard 15" and it looks pretty blocky.

D C *Mac* Macdonald

Looks great with a small (7-10 inch) TV sets such
as those from Sharper Image and others (what I
use with my go-box) DC operated and uses the
same power source as your radio.  I have a USB
 charging port as well on a power pole strip fo
 the whole box.

73 - Mac, K2GKK/5
(Since 30 Nov 53)
Oklahoma City, OK