Topics

CI-V Problem

Dave Sheppard

Group,

I’ve recently lost the ability to communicate between my 7000 and HRD using the RTS-01 cable. I checked the voltage on the CI-V and have about 2.5v. An Icom rep tells me that is where it’s supposed to be. I don’t appear to have any issues with the cable – no error messages in the device manager – and the radio settings match the settings in HRD. I had to have the CI-V circuit repaired about a year and a half ago on the 7000, but at that time, I had no voltage on the jack so it was obvious. What could I be missing?

Dave

W2PAX

Naples, FL

Paul Hansen

Dave,

It looks like you damaged the CI-V port somehow. I always recommend avoiding hot switching the port by making all connections while the radio is turned off. I even like the computer interface device to be powered off too. If you have a scope, you can make sure the radio’s CI-V transceiver setting is turned on and you can see the data on the CI-V. I tested a working 7000 on the bench this morning. The CI-V port idles around 3.2 volts. But when you spin the tuning dial, the observed DC voltage drops a little, down to about 2.6 volts as data is sent. This is very much dependent on you volt meter and how fast it can change its displayed voltage. Regardless, apparent DC should change when the radio shifts from idle to actively transmitting CI-V data.

Another thing you can do if you have another Icom HF radio is connect the two CI-V ports together. Make sure both radios are at the same baud rate and CI-V transceiver is on. Everything you do on one radio should be followed by the other radio. It should work both ways.

I hope this helps but I suspect your port has been damaged. The actual components are inside the logic unit and they are pretty tiny.

Thank you,

Paul W. Hansen, W6XA

Amateur Radio Service

2134 Carthage Road

Tucker, GA 30084

(864) 222-3539 office

www.amateurradioservice.com

From: ic7000@groups.io [mailto:ic7000@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Sheppard
Sent: August 30, 2018 00:45
To: ic7000@groups.io
Subject: [ic7000] CI-V Problem

Group,

I’ve recently lost the ability to communicate between my 7000 and HRD using the RTS-01 cable. I checked the voltage on the CI-V and have about 2.5v. An Icom rep tells me that is where it’s supposed to be. I don’t appear to have any issues with the cable – no error messages in the device manager – and the radio settings match the settings in HRD. I had to have the CI-V circuit repaired about a year and a half ago on the 7000, but at that time, I had no voltage on the jack so it was obvious. What could I be missing?

Dave

W2PAX

Naples, FL

Kevin Grantham

Are you using a UBS-to-serial adapter? If so, make sure that the COM port number hasn’t changed. If it has, change HRD or the assigned port so that they match.

Windows may have updated the driver behind your back. You may be using a USB-to-serial adapter for your computer, and it may be using a Prolific chip clone. If that is the case then when Windows updates the driver it can replace it with one that detects the clone chips. It fails as you have described – everything looks good, it gets a COM port, etc. etc. It just won’t pass data.

See if you can “Update Driver” in Device Manager and roll it back to an older one. They are available on Melchior’s web site, and Wouxun.com, and other places.

Kevin N5KRG