Chirp and ICOM7000


Romain Kieffer
 

greetings from Vienna,

I am trying to program the transceiver for 2m and 70cm usage using Chirp. The PC (Windows XP) is connected via USB to the CI-V remote control jack, using a cable purchased from the local ICOM retailer.  Thus far I have  not been able to download from the radio, all I find is a listing showing 0.00 under Frequencies, ERROR in the Name column, but FM in the MODE column.  I wonder if there is a mode on the transceiver that needs to be set before attempting to download, and I am looking for any suggestions (including where to RTFM) on how to overcome the hurdle.

I know how to establish what Comm port is in use, and Chirp does function when I connect a UV-5R with its specific cables, no troubles at all.

 thanks
 rom OE1RKS


Eric, K2EDS
 

CHIRP is NOT compatible with the Icom.
Here's a list of compatible radios:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home


Eric, K2EDS
 


James Johnston <jimthej@...>
 

Near the bottom of the Icom section = IC7000 right under 7100 and 7200

Jim Johnston

On Feb 11, 2020, at 18:32, Eric, K2EDS <kd2jul@...> wrote:


Dave Christensen
 

I have two IC-7000 radios and Chirp does work.  It even works (partially) on CHIRP running on a Raspberry Pi.

 

A few things to check:

1.       The cable needs to be plugged into the radio CI-V jack.  It is one of the 4 jacks that are in a row and it is easy to get it in the wrong one.

2.      Menu #48 CI-V Baud Rate defaults to 9600 Baud.  This much match the settings for radio in Chirp.

3.      Menu # 49 should be left on the default of 70h

4.      Menu #50 should be off

5.      Chirp must be setup with the correct COM port that matches your cable.

6.      You must read from the radio before you try to write to it._

 

Most likely the problem is the radio Data Rate doesn’t match CHIRP.

 

._,_._,_


Romain Kieffer
 

Dave, first of all thanks for the quick response.I learnt something from your message, I had never even looked at the menu listing...  
As it turns out all the settings except 50 were correct; I changed 50 to 'off', the plug is in the right socket, and I tried again.   
Unfortunately no luck so far, I even tried with another computer so I am still at the beating my head against the wall state.
I discovered something really odd though.  In the listing I can edit the frequency column, but whatever I enter is not what is displayed after a carriage return, and all the same what I enter in the next line, the value is always the same as in the preceding column.
' experience is what one gets when one does not get what one wants...'
I'll keep at it and will probably discover something really stupid as the cause.

 thanks again
 rom


On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 6:47 AM Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

I have two IC-7000 radios and Chirp does work.  It even works (partially) on CHIRP running on a Raspberry Pi.

 

A few things to check:

1.       The cable needs to be plugged into the radio CI-V jack.  It is one of the 4 jacks that are in a row and it is easy to get it in the wrong one.

2.      Menu #48 CI-V Baud Rate defaults to 9600 Baud.  This much match the settings for radio in Chirp.

3.      Menu # 49 should be left on the default of 70h

4.      Menu #50 should be off

5.      Chirp must be setup with the correct COM port that matches your cable.

6.      You must read from the radio before you try to write to it._

 

Most likely the problem is the radio Data Rate doesn’t match CHIRP.

 

._,_._,_


Eric, K2EDS
 

Wow!
I was not aware!
I stand corrected. :D


Ron Peak
 

Gosh, I’m gonna check when I go home, but I think I use Chirp with my IC7000 and my IC706.  Getting old, bit I think I have used Chirp for years.

Vy 73,de Ron W5RRP

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 9:32 PM Eric, K2EDS <kd2jul@...> wrote:
CHIRP is NOT compatible with the Icom.
Here's a list of compatible radios:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

--
Ron Peak
W5RRP
 
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information in this document may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
 


Mark Brueggemann
 

I've used CHIRP with my 7000 but I recall it can only read/write just one of the channel banks.  Better than nothing but I still ended up getting RT Systems to manage the 7000.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM


Roger Taylor
 

On 11/02/2020 23:29, Eric, K2EDS wrote:
CHIRP is NOT compatible with the Icom.
Here's a list of compatible radios:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home
That's strange. I use Chirp on my ic7000 quite happily.

Roger, GW4HZA


Ken N6PCD
 

If you are indeed using the CI-V port on he radio, you should probably go into the menu and UNLINK USB FROM REMOTE. Your now have two separate line of communication with the radio, using the USB as well as a COM port.


Romain Kieffer
 

Thanks.  One more thing to try;  I was thinking of hanging headset on the cable to hear whether there are any signals coming through the cable,too.

Take care
 rom

On Feb 13, 2020, at 10:36 PM, Ken Campbell <n6pcd1@...> wrote:

If you are indeed using the CI-V port on he radio, you should probably go into the menu and UNLINK USB FROM REMOTE. Your now have two separate line of communication with the radio, using the USB as well as a COM port.