Chirp and IC 7000

vk2mzz@...

Hi everyone
Im trying to do the chirp thing
The computer and radio are talking
However because its a live input do you have to manually input everything
Or is there another way
Also does anyone know of a step by step video on how to do this with chirp
Its doing my head in
cheers Jeff

Dallas N4DDM

Jeff,
You can download all the repeaters in Australia with a few mouse clicks...

First, download a file from your radio this proves that your PC and Radio can talk to each other...
Save that file somewhere where you can find it...  This is your safety net in case you need to reset your radio back to your starting point...

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select Radio
  • Select Download from radio
  • Remember where you saved that file...

Second, select the channel defaults for the Australian Amateur Band Plan

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select Radio
  • Select Channel Defaults
  • Select Australian Amateur Band Plan from the pull-down menu

Third, personal preference on my part, I select to start with a new empty file...
I also save it after major edit so if I screw up I don't have to start from the beginning...

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select File
  • Select New (WAIT FOR THE SCREEN TO POPULATE WITH 999 BLANK MEMORIES)

Forth, Here is where you get your FREE list of repeaters from RepeaterBook

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select Radio
  • Select Import from data source >
  • Repeater Book >
  • Repeater Book proximity query
In the popup window
  • Location = Sydney Australia
  • Distance = 200 or 5,000
  • (I played around 200 listed 125 repeaters at 5,000 it listed 987 with a few errors)
  • Select OK and wait for the import to fill in...

You should have a boatload of repeater freqs, call signs, tones, offsets, modes, and comments...

Channels your radio cannot support just don't get programmed or you can select the Frequency column and sort them...

The list I got had a bunch of 1200 Mhz and a few higher repeaters that the 7000 can do so you can scroll down to the bottom of the list, select them and delete them...

Note there are quite a few where the Mode is set to;
  • Auto, you may have to set them to FM
  • DIG, (DMR, P25) I deleted them
  • DV, D-Star so I deleted them
  • The goal was to get the list to 495 or less so you could fill all 500 memory channels and have a few spares...  The FIle I'll email you has to many for your radio...  So you have to delete 400 or so...
The list I got also had a bunch of blank channels... Especially after deleting the above channels...   Select and hold the CTRL button to highlight them...  The use the Right mouse button to get to the Delete and shift all memories up...

I tried selecting 2, 3, 4, 5 at a time and it failed to delete and shift them up...  I feel like it was throwing away channels...  SO I started doing 1 at a time unless there were a group of blank channels...

I tried sorting the list so all the 0.00000 freqs were at the top of the list and use the Delete and shift up but that didn't work...

My goal was to get the list below 500 so you could import it to your IC-7000 but the list is to long with 955 channels...

Clearly setting the distance to 5000 was to much...

73 Dallas, KD4HNX
Whatever you do, don’t fall victim to “paralysis by
analysis.” Go ahead and buy/build one and start
tinkering with it. This is a learn by doing hobby.

No politician or scholar assured your freedoms.
A Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman did!

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 12:05:08 AM EDT, <vk2mzz@...> wrote:

Hi everyone
Im trying to do the chirp thing
The computer and radio are talking
However because its a live input do you have to manually input everything
Or is there another way
Also does anyone know of a step by step video on how to do this with chirp
Its doing my head in
cheers Jeff

Dallas N4DDM

Jeff,
I did 2nd download and set the Distance to 900 and then deleted all the DIG, DV, and P25 repeaters...

That left me with a file that will 492 of your 501 memory channels...

I'll email that file to you...

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 06:42:23 AM EDT, Dallas KD4HNX via groups.io <mylastname@...> wrote:

Jeff,
You can download all the repeaters in Australia with a few mouse clicks...

First, download a file from your radio this proves that your PC and Radio can talk to each other...
Save that file somewhere where you can find it...  This is your safety net in case you need to reset your radio back to your starting point...

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select Radio
  • Select Download from radio
  • Remember where you saved that file...

Second, select the channel defaults for the Australian Amateur Band Plan

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select Radio
  • Select Channel Defaults
  • Select Australian Amateur Band Plan from the pull-down menu

Third, personal preference on my part, I select to start with a new empty file...
I also save it after major edit so if I screw up I don't have to start from the beginning...

From the Chirp main menu
  • Select File
  • Select New (WAIT FOR THE SCREEN TO POPULATE WITH 999 BLANK MEMORIES)

Forth, Here is where you get your FREE list of repeaters from RepeaterBook

From the Chirp main menu