CAT settings help needed - Solved

Paula K7PAX

After much experimentation and troubleshooting, it all boils down to low voltage. When I put the laptop on battery power the CAT control would not work, but it was OK when the laptop was on shore power. The solution that allows me to use battery power is a USB Y cable that will allow me to draw current from two USB ports to the USB/Serial adapter. That supplies enough voltage to function properly.

I still need to identify an optimum 12v source of power for the radio. What type of batteries are best to power the rig for portable operation? I tried using  a Milwaukee inverter on an 18v battery and it was OK transmitting 10-20 watts, but anything higher and it would reboot the radio.
--
Paula K7PAX

When I operated my IC-7000 portable I used an auto/airplane converter for my laptop. The battery is OK, but I had this converter for long term operations.
As to the IC-7000 it is fairly sensitive to voltage for power. I don't know the voltage where it drops out and I have not had a problem with CAT in portable operations.
The best batteries to power the portable operations might well be LiFePO4 which has a higher voltage and maintains that voltage level longer and can be discharged to a lower level without damaging the cells like a lead acid battery.
For example a lead acid (both flooded cell and AGM) can be discharged to approximately 50% where the LiFePO4 can be discharged to 20%. While it is being discharged it will also maintain the voltage higher and have a lower internal resistance which would mean higher voltage under transmitting load.

Joe KE0FF

Paula,

This radio really wants to see 13.8V at all times.  I tried to run mine at 12V last field day and had the same problem you observe.  I haven't had time to experiment to see what the power vs voltage thresholds might be, but the safe bet is to just figure out how to get it the 13.8V.  An unfortunate limitation on an otherwise good radio.

Cheers,

Joe
KE0FF

David Paulson

Paula,

Buddipole  make a   LI  battery pack and they have always  had great product.      4S4P A123 Battery Pack

HRO,   The candy store,  Carries the Bioenno Battery line.    It just depend on how much you want to spend,

The newer battery Ion type are a lot less weight, run till they drop and cost a lot.   Gook  with whatever you come up with,

David

NA7DP