CAT settings help needed

Paula K7PAX

Hello - took my laptop and rig camping and wanted to operate digitally for a day or two. Haven’t used this laptop with the 7000 for a couple of years. When I attempted to set everything up, the CAT would not function. I believe the only thing different is the USB to serial adapter. I use a Keyspan, and the current one is newer than I used before, but the same model.  I also updated to the latest Keyspan driver. And the laptop was upgraded to Windows 10. To troubleshoot, I tried all the different combinations of DTR, RTS, and different baud rates on both software and rig. Tried from WSJT-X and HRD without success. I did notice at one point while troubleshooting, that at 4800 BAUD I did get some small response from the radio, but no successful connection.

Any and all suggestions welcome. This one has me scratching my head, and it is probably just something dumb - but I’d love to figure it out today while I am still in camp.
--
Paula K7PAX

Helmut Wabnig

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 08:31:42 -0700, you wrote:

[...]

Usually when testing a serial interface one connects pin 2 and 3
on the serial port. The data must come back as I type them.

Maybe it works with the 7000 connector also?

w.

Paula K7PAX

I was never successful getting CAT to work while portable. I discivered, when I returned home, that it would work correctly only with the laptop power cable plugged in. I checked all the buried power saving settings regarding USB power saving, and they are all appropriately disabled, including the USB root hub settings.

So it is the laptop itself that is the problem. Don’t know where to go from here . . .
--
Paula K7PAX

Glenn Jensen

Hi Paula,

Is it possible that RF is getting into the USB ports…. I have to use a fair amount of ferrite here in the shack (and I suspect that it may be as challenging while portable).

Used a kit from Palomar Engineers – every single piece in the kit was used!  FT-8 / timing on JTDX and WSJT-X were very susceptible to drop-outs from RF messing with the USB and Audio ports.

73’s – Glenn

I was never successful getting CAT to work while portable. I discivered, when I returned home, that it would work correctly only with the laptop power cable plugged in. I checked all the buried power saving settings regarding USB power saving, and they are all appropriately disabled, including the USB root hub settings.

So it is the laptop itself that is the problem. Don’t know where to go from here . . .
--
Paula K7PAX

Paula K7PAX

I have not even generated any RF at this point - all I am trying to do is connect HRD to the rig. Worked immediately and successfully when laptop is plugged into shore power, and I have used it that way for months. It simply will not work when the laptop is on battery. I even tried plugging the laptop into an inverter powered by a Milwaukee 18v battery, which powers the laptop just fine (delivering AC) but it still won’t make the USB port function enough to control the radio. When I plug it into the wall socket it works fine. I have scoured the internet for clues and haven’t found any solution that I haven’t already tried. 😟

Paula K7PAX

[...]

Max

Since something is obviously different, I would check things like the voltage and for noise on the USB port.

Max KG4PID

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 08:21:07 -0700, you wrote:

I was never successful getting CAT to work while portable. I discivered, when I returned home, that it would work correctly only with the laptop power cable plugged in. I checked all the buried power saving settings regarding USB power saving, and they are all appropriately disabled, including the USB root hub settings.

So it is the laptop itself that is the problem. Don’t know where to go from here . . .

Does the laptop have a VGA or any other connector with screws on it.
From there route a cable to the transceiver metal case,
thus connecting laptop ground with rig ground.

maybe that helps.

OE8UWW