Topics

CAT (Remote) port is dead

tiim

Edited

Hello group,

I cannot control my 7000 via cat. It's been 10 years since i tried it since I had it mobile all the time. I have a rig blaster plug and play and that works on my 7610 and Yaesu FT817ND, but not my 7000.

I measure an open circuit between the cat connector (ring/shield) and rig ground. I read that it means I have a transistor or smt fuse problem.

I opened the top cover and immediately thought, oh crud, I don't want to have to remove ribbon cables!

Is it time for a shop to fix this? Any recommendations for a shop? I am bummed, was hoping to use it for FT8 this coming weekend. I think I'll just have to manually run split and find an open tx slice. I think that's all I need to do and then send it off when I return home.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks and 73,

Tim
KA1YBS

Al Browne

From Memory and it is a while back now. There is a transistor in the input line that is very susceptible to damage from something as simple as plugging in or unplugging the cable to the signal link etc. But you'll need to look it up. I found it when I was researching how to fix a fried pre-driver FET.
Sorry can't remember the details

73 de Al G8YKM

Max

You have me curious. You said 'I measure an open circuit between the cat connector (ring/shield) and rig ground'. Why aren't you measuring 'Tip to Ring' ? Not saying you don't have a problem as I've never checked 'Ring to Ground'. I would expect a pullup to 5V across 'Tip to Ring' but I don't have a schematic to look at.

Have you double checked your address and such?

Max KG4PID

On Sunday, July 12, 2020, 10:49:49 AM CDT, tiim via groups.io <timdapice@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[...]

The tip is "hot and the RX and TX lines are tied together for the IC7000

--
J.D. Barron

g4edg

Just wondering if you have accidentally changed the default address  of 70H (in the menu) to something else?

Steve G4EDG

Pedro S - EA3FNM

I know may be you tried before but, dis you reset the IC7K?
Have you checked the cable? Using hyperterminal or similar. Tx and tx are shotcircuited and can be done. I did it years aho with my first ci-v for the ic731.
Regards

Ken Campbell

Hi Tim,

If you decide to go the shop route, may I humbly suggest Scott Malcolm of Malcolm Technical Services? The man is an icom repair expert, and has fixed three radios for me, one of which is a 7000. Reasonable turnaround times, fair prices:

https://mts-icom.wixsite.com/hamradiorepair

Good luck!